Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tinto's Mk2 GTI (R32)

Thanks mate.

New suspension has arrived (bought corrado vr6 gear to anticipate the weight of the new motor).
    Mk3 upper mounts are on their way too.
    That castle nut in the suspension on the mk2s is ridiculous Without the proper tool.

Finally got the transfer case separated from the AWD box - had a single problematic hex head that a mate gave me a hand with.

Am arranging some mk3/Passat cross members right now so I can mockup the engine and box outside of the car.

Users Country Flag
    Wow I must make more of an effort to follow these sorts of build threads, this is what we all used to do!

Awesome custom work mate, I totally get it, what an ultimate sleeper.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Any update? It's been nearly a year since your last one.

2016 was a pretty bad year for me, which meant progress suffered.
    I'm daily driving after selling my R36 it so need it reliable... which can be a challenge.
    I've got a squeaky ps belt, went to adjust the tension and and noticed the adjuster is... non existent from what I can tell.

In winter I found the ECU had filled up with water... fortunately Bosch (or is it Siemens) built this stuff tough so all I needed to do was drain the ecu and let it air dry. Fired up first time.

The vr6 corrado suspension went in with mk3 top mounts and a lot of small things were tweaked.
    Some mk3 style handles are going on at the moment as my (young) kids are used to modern car pull handles and stand there raging at my doors trying to operate the triggers. I'll put the old ones back on later.

More parts accumulation happened, a BMC DIA (non carbon, way cheaper) airbox was picked up as well as all of the relevant OEM grade engine mounts.
    A diesel geek shifter made its way to the bench as well as all the mk3/Passat subframe and radiator stuff I mentioned earlier. SAI Delete is also here.

Grabbed one of these: FRSport.com: GReddy Remote Oil Filter Relocation with Thermostat
    To work with this: https://store.034motorsport.com/oil-...r-vr6-24v.html
    And I'll plan out how the pipes and cooler will mount when it is all in the car.

Also swapped out the dried out momo wheel for a Nardi from a friend. Then added an extension to get it a bit closer to me. I'm battling with the basic ergonomics - the shifter seems too far away from me.

I wish it was a more exciting updated in terms of progress beyond a parts pile, but it really was that sort of year.

In December I went on a drive to Eurofest from the northern burbs to freo. Car is at around the 50 sec mark.
    Last edited by tinto; 28-01-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fixed some gramma ay.

Very cool build mate, looking forward to seeing more of it soon hopefully.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Only just discovered this thread, good luck with your build!
    1996 Golf VR6 Colour Concept Green

Thanks fellas, hopefully the grind will become a bit more of a whirrr soon

Users Country Flag
    Mate I feel your pain, I earnt about half my usual income last year, so buying goodies stopped. Still it's amazing what you can do on a budget and some lateral thinking, it has made me get real picky about what I do. Still every dog has their day, so I'm looking forward to a much better 2017 $$ wise, and wish you a great 2017 too old tinkering mate!

Life without tinkering projects pretty much sucks!

Nice video, few Jap ring-ins, but what the heck were the Falcadores doing there, c'mon....
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 29-01-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Cheers Greg, let the tinkering resume!

Life has taken a turn and I seem to have SFA time. I know I'll regret it but I'm pondering selling the car + all the R32 conversion gear that i have accumulated. The notes on my dash (and the notes in the dust on my driveway on Australia day) tells me there may be a buyer out there... is that you? PM me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123