Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stary's Scirocco R

Users Country Flag

Stary's Scirocco R

So I've had my car for a little over 8 months now and thought I'd post a tribute to my wonderful little beast. Sold off my first love, a Black 2003 Honda Integra Type R turbo which made 235fwhp for another Black R, which is much more advanced and much more refined.

It was a MY13 dealer demo with 435kms on it when i picked it up on the 30 Aug 2013, of those I put on about 60km during my test drive. It's a Manual with no other options as it was the dealer demo, but I didn't need any of the 3 options available (Satnav, Sunroof, DSG).

Bought the car to be a comfortable daily driver with enough power when I need it to get ahead of traffic.

Current Mods
    Replaced factory filter with K&N one (17 Sep 13)
    Changed interior bulbs to LED's (28 Oct 13)

Upgraded front speakers to Pioneers from my old car (04 May 14)
    Dynamat Extreme inside Front doors (04 May 14)

DNA Tuning Stage 1 Aggressive (04 May 14)
    Volant Cold Air Intake (22 May 14)
    SPM Dump pipe (19 July 14)
    Autotech HPFP Upgrade (19 July 14)

Future Mods Planned

DNA Tuning Stage 3 (??? 14)

Here it is at the dealer waiting for me to pick it up:

Stary's Scirocco R-dsc_0152-jpg
    Stary's Scirocco R-img_20130830_165838-jpg

And a few hours later at Eagle on the hill southeast of Adelaide taking it for its first drive:

Stary's Scirocco R-scirocco-r-jpg
    Stary's Scirocco R-img_20130830_175913-jpg

At the car wash:

Stary's Scirocco R-img_20130908_160153-jpg

Volant CAI:
    Volant CAI on Scirocco R

More pics and mods to follow....
    Last edited by staryknight; 21-07-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Updates

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Stage 1 Tune

Kept it relatively stock for 8 months whilst umming and ahhing about whether to tune it or not, then bit the bullet and decided to get a tune. I originally was going to go an APR Tune during one of their sales because they are the most well known product which seems to have a pretty good rep, they have a huge R&D facility in the states and awesome websites. But after comparing all of the available tunes out there, and reading as many reviews as I could on tunes, they all seemed to do pretty much the same thing at stage 1.

I couldn't bring myself to spend 1275 (on sale) on a stage 1 tune which locked you into their products or you had to pay a few hundred bucks extra everytime you wanted the tune upgraded for new hardware. With this in mind, and after having read Lucas R's thread, I decided to go for DNA Tuning based on the decent results he got on his Golf R. Also their price point is probably the best bang for your buck.

So I received the SRS3 (Powergate 3) programmer in the mail a few days ago from John @ DNA Tuning:

Stary's Scirocco R-20140430_173730-jpgStary's Scirocco R-20140430_173827-jpg

The unit came with a few extra DNA Tuning goodies.

I went down and downloaded my stock file onto the unit which is super easy to do, and took about 15 mins, of which most of it is just waiting for the file to download and sent it off to John for the tunes.

Not long after John sent me back the stage 1+ and 3 tunes and I loaded it onto the the SRS3 and then went onto load the stage 1+ file into my virtually stock car this afternoon which took the unit about 10 mins...

Went for a 20min drive straight after and as soon as I pulled out of my garage I noticed that the throttle seemed a tad more responsive. Drove for the first 5 mins in a pretty tame manner to warm the car up and could hear the difference in the engine/exhaust/intake and even on light throttle, the car was already more responsive at lower rpms.

As soon as I got onto the expressway I opened it up and the real boost kicked in and in 2nd gear I lost a little traction as the TCS came on but as I kept on the throttle felt the surge of torque and the my body fall back into the seat as it never has done before.

Did a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls on some quiet industrial streets and It just accelerates too fast now. The buttfeelometer definitely registers a much stronger pull from the car and I can hear the intake/engine/exhaust all seems to have come alive compared to when stock. I can also hear that "intake flutter" that everyone with a tune seems to mention.

Looking forward to the following week to really get used to it as I drive it to and from work, and even more to the SA Dyno day we have later this month. I am planning to load the stock file back into the car for my first run, then the stage 1 file for a second run just to get some before/after numbers. Also if I receive my CAI or DP before then I'll have it installed for the dyno day.

Thanks to John and DNA Tuning for an awesome bang for your buck tune, and also to Lucas for an awesome informative thread, which I may have made some mod decisions off, will update soon as I get new bits...

Edit: DNA Tuning Australia's Golf R/Audi S3 Tuning Information
    Last edited by staryknight; 04-05-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Linked to DNA Tuning's info

Users Country Flag
    Awesome, thanks for that info Stary. I am looking at exactly the same DNA tune and have contacted John after reading Lucas R's review on it.
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Users Country Flag
    The Rocco looks great in black, i don't think i've seen a black one before. Good to see you got a manual too.

Good to hear you are happy with the DNA tune, it really wakes the engine up doesn't it. I'll be interested to see what power it makes on the dyno in a few weeks.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Lucas, Yeah love the manual actually! I can imagine DSG would be awesome for 0-100 sprints and probably eating while driving, but being a front wheeler, it wouldn't do that well against most AWD's anyway.

The car definitely has an "unrestricted" feel about it now compared to how the power used to be, and the turbo sound is there as soon as it starts spooling at about 2500rpm too. Love it!

You're welcome Scratchy, I feel that a good tune and product that is value for money should get more attention.

Just installed my Volant Golf R CAI which I received earlier last week, fitment is not bad, had to cut a tiny bit off a corner due to my headlight being different to the Golf R shape, but around the engine it all fit fine.

Initial impressions are pretty good, a little bit more induction noise and turbo spool noise, but not a lot, haven't yet floored it to really experience it but will post more details later. Here are a few pics before/after and of the little modification. Apologies for the dirty engine bay, Adelaide rains mud and is full of dust.
    Stary's Scirocco R-photo-1-jpgStary's Scirocco R-photo-2-jpgStary's Scirocco R-photo-3-jpg

Audi TTS Engine cover is on the way from Germany.... Arrived 30 May!

Stary's Scirocco R-img_20140530_213513-1-jpg

Now I just need paint the cover and do something about the Audi logo...

Cost of Volant CAI: $330 shipped from the states.
    Cost of Audi TTS Engine Cover: $212 from Germany
    Cost of install: nothing, self installed.
    Last edited by staryknight; 01-06-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: more details added.

Went to the recent SA dyno day on Saturday and got some stock tune vs DNA stage 1 numbers with the Volant CAI installed.

Stock with Volant CAI: 168.9 kW at wheels
    DNA Stage 1 with Volant CAI: 190.6 kW at wheels

Stary's Scirocco R-scirocco-r-stage1-jpg

Not bad for just the stage one, a lot of people thought the dyno read lower on the day than it did 6 months previously, but maybe it was just more accurate this time. I thought my stock number was quite accurate, so my Stage 1 number doesn't seem too far from the acceptable stage 1 range.

Yet to fit downpipe but will do downpipe and dyno next time to see the delta.

Pics of graphs to follow...
    Last edited by staryknight; 28-05-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Inserted Stage1 Graph

SA Dyno Day 2015

SA Dyno Day III - 09 May 2015

Latest dyno day results using same DNA Stage 1+ Tune as last year, but with with Dump Pipe and HPFP nets 221KW.
    30kW gains from 2 simple DIY mods, pretty satisfied with that!

Stary's Scirocco R-img_20150509_103757-jpg

Edits:

Derived torque works out to be:
    Using the values at where Torque Peaked,

which gives you approximately 160kW @ 3500rpm
    160kW = 215 hp
    215 * 5252 / 3500 = 322.6 ftlb = 437Nm
    Last edited by staryknight; 10-05-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Awesome result mate - thats big power in a Rocco. Go DNA.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Cheers dude! i definitely wasnt expecting anywhere near that, but it makes sense as mines only fwd, vs your awd, probably very similar at the crank taking into account drivetrain losses.
    2012 MY13 Scirocco R, DNA Stage 1+, Volant CAI, SPM Dump Pipe, HPFP, 221kW.

Stary's Scirocco R Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast