Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharkie's Rides - Past & Present

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

R600

Fitted an R600 intake this weekend.

Sharkie's Rides - Past & Present-r600-jpg

Also did some VCDS coding to turn off the sound actuator, activate auto rain closing and turn off the nag screens

EDIT: Incidentally, had the Mustang tuned 2 weeks ago (after 2 years of ownership and just under 9,000km) to bring all the mods done together. Now making just over 360kw/580NM. Not a bad result for a NA car I think. Traction is even more of a problem now
    Last edited by Sharkie; 24-06-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Gave the Amarok some love this weekend. After 41000km and some silly driving up and down Mt Mee by my 18yr old son, the Amarok was in need of new brakes ....

Fitted these on Saturday, and they do work well. Drilled with little slots and high performance pads (minimal to no dust TG!).

Sharkie's Rides - Past & Present-rok-brakes-jpg

Incidentally discovered that the Amarok front brakes are 2 pot calliper units, did not know that and quite impressed.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Hey Sharkie,

Closely following as I am starting to tinker with my R. Did you notice much difference with the turbo muffler delete? It's a mod that wasn't high on my list and curious if you found much of a difference with that and the R600 intake? R600 is the intake I was looking at instead of going the APR route.

I have ordered some black mirror caps also, and on the weekend added some mirror dynamic indicator lights as well as the snow grate removal and dremmeled out the blocked off section in front of the airbox.

I also have some front control arms and sway bars going on in the next few weeks.

Thanks

The muffler delete smooths the airflow out of the turbo, if you open it up you will see how much of space there is to create turbulence, and by this smoothing allows a bit more power.

The intake elbow and intake pipe does the same thing (on the other side of the turbo) and allows better airflow, so some more power in there too.

Combine all of these in 1 package and you get 15kw/20NM more with a tune than just the tune alone. So yes, definitely something extra there. Performance Packages - Harding Performance

For me (without the tune still) I can definitely tell there is a bit more there, probably not 15kw, but enough that I can feel it breathe a bit better.

I do want to add the dynamic mirror indicators too, they look good! Just need to buy and fit them

Users Country Flag
    Interesting....Like you, I also have not yet got a tune, and still holding out.......I know it's not as smooth as a tune but tossing up possibly getting a JB4.
    However after your information and talking to my local garage. Perhaps I would be better off trying to remove all restrictions and helping the turbo work less before I look at a JB4/tune.

So perhaps a R600, Turbo inlet & muffler delete (perhaps APR - would they work well with the R600?) I also see there is an APR optional carbon fibre turbo inlet pipe which runs from the CAI.
    So getting those three APR parts and the R600?

The Tiguan Mk2 section had a few posts about flow rates which included APR and Racingline parts in a test. The winner was from a Taiwanese company called MST performance.

I bought all my intake parts (except the R600) from them and saved several 100 $$$$ in the process.

MST Turbo MQB High Flow 3" HYBRIDTurbo Inlet Kit (VW-MK

and

MST MQB Turbo muffler delete (VW-MK712) for EA888 Gen3

The quality has been excellent and I used to run a lot of APR gear .....
    Last edited by Sharkie; 06-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I remember seeing an article from Harding Performance when they tested R600 vs APR in the R600 was better. That, and that I prefer the OEM look to the big carbon fiber looking jobs.

Yes, I can see how that would work out. Roughly for the APR Turbo inlet ($299), APR Turbo Muffler delete ($299) and optional carbon fiber pipe ($317) is almost a grand! The MST stuff with a rough currency conversion (and you only need two parts) comes to about $410 AUD. Not sure if they charge posting or not yet.

I think initially I was looking at APR because I want good quality, and if I sell the car down the line it's easier to say car is full APR etc than have different branded bits and pieces? However, at half the cost, it's hard to say no!

Don't often see all 3 the VW's at the same time, so took the opportunity to get a photo.

Alas, my plan to reduce the parking lot has not worked so well .... still way too many cars at the house at any point in time

Sharkie's Rides - Past & Present-parking-lot-3-jpg

Its actually worse than this, 2 cars are not in the picture ... D1's BF's Triton and the Mustang (tucked in in the garage).

Users Country Flag
    It must be fun at rego/insurance renewal time Sharkie with all of those cars. Im flat out keeping on top of things with 2 cars.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    It must be fun at rego/insurance renewal time Sharkie with all of those cars. Im flat out keeping on top of things with 2 cars.
    Yeah, that bill can be a bit daunting I do attempt to recover the rego and insurance from each of the drivers for
    their respective cars though so that leaves me realistically only paying for 3 of them although 1 of the 3 is the wifes but I have no chance of recovering anything there

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast