Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

Lucas - Massive improvement Lucas last time! I need to do the same again on my SQ5 How do you get those bolts at the back of the manifold out? I really struggled to get them out and back in. Do you have any special tools?

Also finally got around to fitting (last weekend) the Akebono rear pads and Zimmermann drilled disc brakes, only had a short drive so far, but so far so good . Now got to decide if to get drilled discs for the front or not. Just worried if the holes will wear down the pads quicker then a flat disc?

Bit shocked by some of the corrosion I found behind the back wheels. You are lucky you don't have harsh wet and cold Scottish winters with horrid salt thrown over the roads
    Last edited by SQ5Raphster; 30-09-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    You just need a long extension (about 30cm) to get at those bolts. They are not easy without the right tool as there is very little room. Also a magnet pickup tool is a great help for holding onto the bolts while removing/reinstalling so they dont drop into the never never.

Good to hear you got the rear brakes sorted. May as well get matching drilled disks for the front so it all matches.

Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Lucas - Massive improvement Lucas last time! I need to do the same again on my SQ5 How do you get those bolts at the back of the manifold out? I really struggled to get them out and back in. Do you have any special tools?

Also finally got around to fitting (last weekend) the Akebono rear pads and Zimmermann drilled disc brakes, only had a short drive so far, but so far so good . Now got to decide if to get drilled discs for the front or not. Just worried if the holes will wear down the pads quicker then a flat disc?

Bit shocked by some of the corrosion I found behind the back wheels. You are lucky you don't have harsh wet and cold Scottish winters with horrid salt thrown over the roads
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 01-10-2021 at 07:06 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Do you use a rigid or flexible extension?

Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Do you use a rigid or flexible extension?
    I have both types, but cant remember which one was better to reach those bolts sorry. It may have been the rigid one I think.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Hey Lucas_R and others - not to detract from this thread, as I reckon it's the go-to for us SQ5 owners, and will continue to be...

I've started documenting what I've been doing with my car over on this thread.

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo

Lucas - as I said in my newbie thread, you've been both the inspiration and diagnosis help for me so far, a massive thanks for the time and effort you put into the forums as they are an absolute gold mine. Hopefully my ramblings and largely superficial mods add a little bit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
    Hey Lucas_R and others - not to detract from this thread, as I reckon it's the go-to for us SQ5 owners, and will continue to be...

I've started documenting what I've been doing with my car over on this thread.

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo

Lucas - as I said in my newbie thread, you've been both the inspiration and diagnosis help for me so far, a massive thanks for the time and effort you put into the forums as they are an absolute gold mine. Hopefully my ramblings and largely superficial mods add a little bit to it.
    Thanks Daniel - very kind. Happy to find out that my experience has helped other SQ5 owners. The catch can in particular is popular and I get messages on Facebook from people in Europe, UK and Australia asking for info.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Next mod which i have wanted to do for a while. While the intercooler fitted to the SQ5 is a decent quality all alloy unit with a pretty good quality core for an OEM intercooler, there is still room for improvement.

Most people go straight for the Wagner drop-in replacement, and I certainly considered this heavily, but they are stupid expensive ($2.2k locally, but about $1.7k if you order from the UK). There are a few other brands lurking around (AIRTEC and HF Series) too which I considered. The AIRTEC is actually made for the Audi A6 with the same engine, and while it "should" fit, AIRTEC could not guarantee it would fit the SQ5 without modifications. And the HF Series looks very much the same as the Wagner, but I could not find a shop that would send to Australia.

The other option is the budget intercooler from Darkside Developments. My brother quickly talked me out of this one after pointing out that its just a poor quality $100 ebay intercooler from China with mounting hardware and pipes welded on to suit the SQ5.

Wagner: Wagner Tuning Audi Q5 SQ5 Competition Intercooler Kit 3.0 TDI - 200001 – Performance Brands
    AIRTEC: AIRTEC Intercooler Upgrade for Audi A6 3.0 TDi Bi-Turbo - AIRTEC Motorsport
    HS Series: HF-Series Intercooler For Audi Q5 Incl. SQ5 3.0 (Bi-)TDI - AKA Performance
    Darkside budget: Darkside Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) for 3.0 BiTDI Audi SQ5

My brother runs a small automotive metal fabrication business (see link below to his business) and has an account with Garrett, so has access to Garrett's high quality intercooler cores - so I spoke to him and we decided to make a custom intercooler upgrade for the SQ5 with custom end tanks. The goal is to have a locally made kit for the SQ5 that he can offer for sale on his website.

Personally I would have liked a bigger (taller) core, but Garret's bigger core is 600mm wide x 300mm tall and there is no use having a 300mm tall core on the SQ5 because the crash bar would cover the extra 10cm and it would get no airflow so would be next to useless. So we have kept the core below the crash bar for best airflow through the core.

So the new intercooler is ready for a test fit before we finalise pipework and mounting hardware etc. The new intercooler is only slightly larger in overall volume/capacity (just over 12% more volume to be exact) to the stock one, but has a much better quality core. The core is rated for around 500hp at this size so it will be more than enough for a 350hp stage 1 SQ5.

The new core is about 10cm narrower as Garrett only make 600mm wide cores (factory core is about 75cm wide), but its about 3cm taller and 2.5cm thicker.

The Fabricators Warehouse

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-sq5-intercooler-1-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-sq5-intercooler-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-242598364_328474672381812_5568666440643653940_n-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 05-11-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

That's a nice looking piece of kit Lucas, looks very well put together - be interested to see how you find it operates in practice!

As you say, a 12% increase in overall volume is relatively modest, but I'm not familiar with the relative impact of core quality?

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

Another 6 monthly oil change for the SQ5 this past weekend @ 72,000km, as well as another recent addition in the form of a 10.25" touchscreen with Apple Carplay sourced via The Fitting Bay.

Also had the slimline number plates restyled in the black and silver colouring which ive been meaning to do for ages - looks much better.

The infotainment in the SQ5 is really outdated as the B8/B8.5 platform was released in 2008/09 so most of the technology is from this era and its just slow and outdated. The new screen is much larger, brighter, and is also a touchscreen so more user friendly to operate. All of the factory functions still work on the new screen (reverse camera, radio, car settings etc) but the wireless Carplay really brings the interior up to date, not to mention having access to the latest Google maps.

The new screen is an Android based unit, so it has the capability to download apps off the Google Play store (YouTube/Netflix etc). I might try downloading the VAG DPF app so I can use the screen instead of my phone.

Installed the new screen and hardware myself in the garage - its about a 2 hour job.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-03-2022 at 10:20 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

OMG Lucas I cannot believe I have just found this thread. I can remember it must be 10 years ago, when you were a source of inspiration for the MK6 Golf R in I think they were Steel Grey "you will correct me" that we owned. Searching for info on my creaking sunroof I come across this thread!! How lucky are all SQ5 owners that you bought one.

I digress, a few months back I purchased a very clean White 2014 SQ5 (only 80,000km) full Audi Service History and I deliberately went the MY14 as I was ok with the STD Cruise Control and no Blindspot in lieu of no DPF or AdBlue issues. Great to hear about the pads that's already sorted one thing on my list. How are you finding the Android Headunit, I was about to pull the trigger on the same one. I don't suppose you have needed to grease your sunroof at all by chance?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    MY16 MK7 Pure White Golf R

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast