Support VWWC

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

Hi Lucas - what the main benefit of the "Airbox to Turbo TIP Silicone Hose"? More air flow? Also does your oil catch can stop soot etc build up on the manifold inlet flap? I'm thinking about installing the MANN + HUMMEL ProVent 200 Oil Catch Can.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Hi Lucas - what the main benefit of the "Airbox to Turbo TIP Silicone Hose"? More air flow? Also does your oil catch can stop soot etc build up on the manifold inlet flap? I'm thinking about installing the MANN + HUMMEL ProVent 200 Oil Catch Can.
    Mainly its just a nicer looking pipe, so mostly aesthetic reasons. Although its a smoother shape than the factory pipe and removed a small plastic resonator box just before the turbo, so it may have some small benefits in airflow.

A catch can is a good idea, but you will struggle to find a place to mount the Provent 200 as its quite large. One spot you could put it is under the airbox on the drivers side, but it makes it awkward to access to checking/maintenance. This is why I opted for the Flashlube Catch Can Pro (also called the Provent 100) because its much more compact and was easier to mount inside the engine bay.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Mainly its just a nicer looking pipe, so mostly aesthetic reasons.
    Black or some other colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A catch can is a good idea, but you will struggle to find a place to mount the Provent 200 as its quite large. One spot you could put it is under the airbox on the drivers side, but it makes it awkward to access to checking/maintenance. This is why I opted for the Flashlube Catch Can Pro (also called the Provent 100) because its much more compact and was easier to mount inside the engine bay.
    Can you please post a photo of where the inlet and return connect to? Also did you connect the oil return (bottom of the catch can), if so where to?

Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Black or some other colour?

haha they also have pink yellow, lime or orange if you want to be more adventurous.

Can you please post a photo of where the inlet and return connect to? Also did you connect the oil return (bottom of the catch can), if so where to?
    If you look on the drivers side valve cover towards the back of the engine you will see a black plastic accordion pipe that is about 12-15cm long. It has a connection on each end (one end connects to the valve cover and the other end connects to the intake pipe just before the top turbo. This is the PCV pipe that you need to tap into. Using a stanley knife, cut the accordion pipe off the plastic connections at each end. Then you can plumb your new rubber or silicone hose directly to these connections and into your catch can.

The bottom of the catch can has a clear hose (about 50cm long) and then a tap at the bottom. I just remove the catch can every 5,000km or so and empty it. I dont want oily/watery muck going back into the sump.

You can see the hose im referring to in the photos below:

Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-09-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks - do you have any photos showing your new connections?

Also is fitting the oil catch can at this location going to to stop any of the crud/muck coming out of the pipe, that connects to the underside of the inlet manifold flap pipe? See below photo (manifold removed) of pipe (circled in blue) with sort of chain mail.

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-pxl_20201025_155757596a-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-pxl_20201025_131256928a-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-pxl_20201025_155757596-jpg  
    Last edited by SQ5Raphster; 03-08-2021 at 03:57 AM.

That is your EGR pipe. It recirculates a portion of your exhaust gasses back into your intake (for reduced emissions). Not good for the engine at all and slowly chokes it over time, but its all part of the emissions race. It only operates in low power/idle situations, and when you put your foot down more the cars ECU will temporarily disable it to allow for maximum engine power and torque.

It's not the right spot to plumb your catch can into, but you can get your car remapped to disable the EGR and then you can buy a physical block off plate to stop the fumes being plumbed back into your inlet.

My EGR is still inplace and untouched, for the time being, and this is the reason why I use a can of Liqui Moly intake cleaner every 6 months just before an oil change - in the effort to try and keep the EGR mess under control.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Lucas, love the thread, have been following for some time now.
    Regarding catch can install, did you purchase the connections? Or did you remove the short ribbed pipe from existing connections and repurpose the connections with 19mm hose to the catch can?
    Do you have a part number for those connections or a way to order them?
    What is the part number for your flash lube catch can? I just don't want to order one and it arrive too big, haha.
    I think ill have to go down the path of removing the intake manifold to get it properly clean, might just have to get it walnut blasted by Pacortech.

Have you had a look inside your intake since you did catch can? I would be really keen to see if you have any build up of soot now.

Quote Originally Posted by _WLF133_ View Post
    Lucas, love the thread, have been following for some time now.
    Regarding catch can install, did you purchase the connections? Or did you remove the short ribbed pipe from existing connections and repurpose the connections with 19mm hose to the catch can?
    Do you have a part number for those connections or a way to order them?
    What is the part number for your flash lube catch can? I just don't want to order one and it arrive too big, haha.
    I think ill have to go down the path of removing the intake manifold to get it properly clean, might just have to get it walnut blasted by Pacortech.

Have you had a look inside your intake since you did catch can? I would be really keen to see if you have any build up of soot now.
    Hi. Western Filters in Sydney is where I ordered my 90 degree fittings and rubber hose from. I purchased the catch can elsewhere though.

Rubber Hose: Oil Resistant Hose (Low Pressure) for ProVent (1mtr x 3/4" x 19mm) OS-PFPOH19 - Western Filters

90 degree fittings: 19mm (3/4”) Plastic Hose Joiner 90 Degree Bend E34 28625 Great for Provent - Western Filters

Catch Can: https://www.allfourx4.com.au/Flashlu...-Flashlube-FCC

As for the short ribbed pipe you are asking about, I cut off the ribbed section and re-used the connections which the rubber hose linked above fits onto perfectly.

As for the condition of the inlet manifold, I actually removed it all about 2 weeks ago to inspect and clean it. It was much cleaner than the first time I did it (first time I cleaned it was at 35,000km, and again now at 67,000km) and also much easier to clean as the buildup was wet and not baked on like it was the first time. I took some photos so ill upload them soon. But the catch can is definitely doing its job.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

I cleaned out the inlet again a few weeks ago. Its been about 32,000km since I first cleaned it and about 30,000km since I fitted a catch can. Car is currently on 67,000km.

As you can see, far less carbon/EGR gunk buildup this time around, despite almost identical time and amount of km’s since the first time I cleaned it. (first cleaned at 3yrs and 35,000km, now 6 years and 67,000km)

In addition to there being far less gunk, it was much easier to clean because it was more oily/wet rather than gooey and baked on.

I would still like to physically remove the entire intake manifold and have that cleaned properly (ultrasonic bath) but in the meantime, this is certainly better than doing nothing.

Normal Nulon carby cleaner works really well to clean up the gunk.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Lucas_R; 01-11-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

Lucas, what a legend. I'll get onto it and get it ordered. Thankyou so much.
    I wonder why the residue is wet for you now? I guess there's probably still some oil vapour getting past the catch can but I thought seeing as the EGR is still on, it would be more dry... interesting. I'm glad it's easier for you to clean.

I wish it was easier to remove the manifold, just seems like there's a lot of stuff attached to it.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast