Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

Thanks Lucas 👍

Intake Decarb - understand where you are meaning now. Had that off before for the inlet manifold flap clean, so should be easy. However some say it's best to do it just before an oil change.

Catch can install - sorry can you please post a photo with arrows showing exactly where the flow and return hoses are connected? No hurry as I'm just try to work out if I'm capable of installing this mod first. Also a close up photo of your custom bracket might be useful. Does the length of hose affect performance etc? Also have you checked if your inlet manifold flap is staying clean? I hate to think what further sooty gunk is further down the manifold. Have you considered taking the whole manifold off for a clean?

EGR - yes I came across Darkside Developments about the same time I found your posts here. Will consider contacting them for some advice. However it would be a fair trek down to them being based in Scotland. They also do a swirl flap delete - which I'm not sure about 🤔
    Last edited by SQ5Raphster; 03-11-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Thanks Lucas ��

Intake Decarb - understand where you are meaning now. Had that off before for the inlet manifold flap clean, so should be easy. However some say it's best to do it just before an oil change.
    Yes it is recommended to do an oil change after running this product through the engine. I do an oil change either on the same day or the day after using the intake decarb product.

Catch can install - sorry can you please post a photo with arrows showing exactly where the flow and return hoses are connected? No hurry as I'm just try to work out if I'm capable of installing this mod first. Also a close up photo of your custom bracket might be useful. Does the length of hose affect performance etc? Also have you checked if your inlet manifold flap is staying clean? I hate to think what further sooty gunk is further down the manifold. Have you considered taking the whole manifold off for a clean?
    Yes I will put some info together for you over the next few days on the catch can. When I did the intake clean (shortly after buying the car and prior to fitting the catch can) I cleaned everything I could access without actually removing the inlet manifold. I do plan on removing the manifold one day and cleaning it all out - but havent gotten to it yet. Before doing the most recent decarb which was about 2 months ago (before the cars annual service) I used a torch and inspection mirror to look at the manifold flap and other areas I had previously cleaned. They were still quite clean with just a thin layer of muck on them which came off easily with the decarb spray.

Regarding the length of rubber hose, I would have preferred to have mounted the catch can closer to the engine, but I simply couldn't find an area with enough room to fit the catch can while also being accessible (needs to be drained every 5000km or so which only takes a minute or two do to, as well as checking the filter ever now and then).

EGR - yes I came across Darkside Developments about the same time I found your posts here. Will consider contacting them for some advice. However it would be a fair trek down to them being based in Scotland. They also do a swirl flap delete - which I'm not sure about ��
    Have a chat to Darkside about what you would like to do. Even if you buy the parts required from them and have it tuned elsewhere (they might even have partnerships with other tuners in the UK?). Darkside are currently playing around with an Audi A6 on their Youtube channel which has the same V6 bitdi engine as our SQ5's.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-11-2020 at 08:34 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Hey mate, I’ve got a A5 with the single turbo 3.0 TDI. Just wondering how hard the EGR was to remove for you? I’ve had a look at mine and there’s a few things connected to it so not sure how easy/difficult it would be lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Hey mate, I’ve got a A5 with the single turbo 3.0 TDI. Just wondering how hard the EGR was to remove for you? I’ve had a look at mine and there’s a few things connected to it so not sure how easy/difficult it would be lol.
    Hi sorry I didn't see this post. I never actually removed the EGR when I did my intake clean. To get to the EGR on the SQ5 requires removal of the inlet manifold and some other bits - and I didn't go that far. With only 35,000km on the car at the time, the actual EGR pipes etc looked pretty clean, it was mainly the pipe and throttle valve assembly leading into the inlet manifold that was affected and got the most attention.

I dare say the single turbo V6 TDi in your A5 is a similar setup as its the same base engine design.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Hey Lucas, that's all good! Yep, sorry. I meant the intake manifold runner - the way that it's connected up in the SQ5 looks the same as what's in mine. Curious to see how blocked mine is since it has 93,000km on it at the moment - looks like it's connected to a few things so not sure how hard it would be to take out/put back in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Hey Lucas, that's all good! Yep, sorry. I meant the intake manifold runner - the way that it's connected up in the SQ5 looks the same as what's in mine. Curious to see how blocked mine is since it has 93,000km on it at the moment - looks like it's connected to a few things so not sure how hard it would be to take out/put back in lol.
    Ahh ok. So the EGR pipe connects with a tiny v band type clamp on the underside of the inlet manifold pipe. Its a bit fiddly to get at (awkward angle and not much space) but doable.

You can see where it connects to the underside of the pipe in this photo.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Haha i love this vid about catch cans
    So many puns and 1 liners had ,me in stitches all the way through.
    Geniarse 😂
    The truth about oil catch cans: Should you fit one to your car? | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ZR36 View Post
    Haha i love this vid about catch cans
    So many puns and 1 liners had ,me in stitches all the way through.
    Geniarse ��
    The truth about oil catch cans: Should you fit one to your car? | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube
    Yes I have watched that video previously. He raises some good points definitely. Certainly a waste of time to fit a cheap catch can off ebay that costs <$50, these are just an empty can that will do basically nothing and the vast majority of them have tiny inlet and outlet ports which would be too small for a 4 cylinder engine, let alone a powerful turbo V6. There are specific catch cans made for diesel engines (Mann&Hummel Provent, Flashlube Catch Can Pro etc) which have a fine cloth filter inside to catch the oil vapour, and have and internal diaphragm and flow enough air to accomodate larger powerful diesel engines without being a restriction.

I see what my catch can removes from the intake, as I empty it every 3 months or so - and even though perhaps 50% of this may be effectively burnt off through the engines normal cycle, id rather it be captured and removed. Im all for anything I can do to reduce the carbon buildup in the engine - only the best diesel used, high quality oil & filter changed every 6 months, air filters and fuel filters etc changed before schedule.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Hey mate I've been following this thread for a few weeks, I've just a week ago flew down to Newcastle and picked up my new to me SQ5, I believe I actually ran into you at the supercheap auto.

Really awesome thread, I was interested in the dpf delete but after finding out how much the fines are I got turned off.

Any idea on any upgraded turbos?

I plan to do bilstein coils, full 034 mount inserts and sway bar kit to tighten everything up, and will probably order the intercooler from dark side.

Look at us go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-20201212_130041-jpg  

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast