Support VWWC

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI

Ahh ok. Appreciate the response though, I managed to find out about the provent via its website
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-11-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Have you replaced the control arm Bushes? Mine need doing but the mechanic is quoting me +4k for just the lower front.
    He reckon he can't get after market bushes and Audi only do the whole arm as 1 item no bush replacement.
    I think I have found some from powerflex have you heard of them?
    Also where did you get your Tyers from they are very cheap. I haven't been able to find anything under $410
    EUROTRASH

Quote Originally Posted by ZR36 View Post
    Have you replaced the control arm Bushes? Mine need doing but the mechanic is quoting me +4k for just the lower front.
    He reckon he can't get after market bushes and Audi only do the whole arm as 1 item no bush replacement.
    Also where did you get your Tyers from they are very cheap. I haven't been able to find anything under $410
    What mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR36 View Post
    I have heard the control arm bushes are not sold by themselves. My car only has 53,000km and no issues with the control arms yet. Some people buy new arms and others buy aftermarket poly/rubber bushes and have them fitted. $4k seems extremely expensive for a couple of control arms.

Not sure if this link will work, but Run Auto Parts is where I buy most of my oil filters etc from. If you enter your car model and then choose suspension you will see Meyle (who are an OEM supplier of parts) have suspension arms available for the SQ5. Shop Suspension for your european car at Run Auto Parts

As for the tyres, I got them on special from Tyresales. They were down from $410 ea to $335. Really happy with these tyres too.They are currently $382 KUMHO CRUGEN HP91 255/40R21 102Y Tyres | Tyresales

If you are replacing all 4 tyres at once, have a look at 265/40 R21. They are 1cm wider, but a more common size tyre so more choices and better prices.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-09-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the awesome feedback regarding the DPF mate, comforting know they are very different motors...

I take your point about temps while doing regen on the driveway but it only takes about 5 to 10 mins to come down to zero so think I’m pretty safe. I’d do the the app thing but don’t have an android so would just be one more thing to buy. GF is not that savvy so I’m generally left to sort this stuff out...

Totally agree with your points on diesels also, wouldn’t buy another. Never know until you try though, the SQ5 still looks a decent bit of kit...

Had the SQ5 serviced again a few weeks ago by Newcastle VW Centre and have ordered a few more goodies for it. As this is predominantly my wifes car, the mods are very tame and easily reversible if required.

- 034 Motorsport Street Density upgraded transmission mount
    - Ultra Racing strut brace (considerably more rigid than the factory item). Part # UR-TW2-1752
    - Akebono Euro ceramic front brake pads. Part # EUR1546

Hoping the trans mount will help reduce the sloppiness in the driveline that I still have (especially 1st and 2nd gear), the Ultra Racing strut brace hopefully to add some chassis rigidity as the chassis flexes quite a bit due to the panoramic sunroof, and the brake pads to compliment the rear ones I fitted a few months back - simply to reduce brake dust which these Akebono ceramic pads do very well.

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-trans-mount-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-strut-brace-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-akebono-front-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 02-10-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Akebono ceramic brake pads installed yesterday. So far so good - very happy with them. Did about 10 reasonably hard stops from about 80kph down to 10kph to bed them in at a nearby industrial park. So after bedding them in and then driving about 60km yesterday there is basically zero brake dust on the wheels - eureka!!

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-img_4425-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-img_4426-jpg

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-img_4427-jpg

Also grabbed a pic of the Ultra Racing strut brace (engine cover is off at the moment so behold the ugly engine underneath). It's definitely both stronger (more rigid) and better designed than the factory brace which was 3x individual pieces of thin walled steel bolted together. The Ultra Racing brace is also a fair bit heavier than the factory brace.

Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI-img_4429-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 06-10-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Really like the SQ5 posts 👍 Which are super useful being a fellow SQ5 owner.

Can you please do a install guide for the catch can install, as is which bits connect to what and where which photos?

Also be interested to know exactly where you added the Liqui Moly decarb cleaner to the system (photo with arrow please)?

Followed your guide for cleaning out the inlet manifold flaps. Mine was not quite as bad as yours, which I was surprised as my SQ5 is on 75K now.

Do you know if it's possible to code the EGR valve to stay closed or insert blanks without issues?

Please keep posting SQ5 content, really enjoy it. Especially with details of purchases and how to install 🙂
    Last edited by SQ5Raphster; 02-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SQ5Raphster View Post
    Really like the SQ5 posts �� Which are super useful being a fellow SQ5 owner.

Can you please do a install guide for the catch can install, as is which bits connect to what and where which photos?

Also be interested to know exactly where you added the Liqui Moly decarb cleaner to the system (photo with arrow please)?

Followed your guide for cleaning out the inlet manifold flaps. Mine was not quite as bad as yours, which I was surprised as my SQ5 is on 75K now.

Do you know if it's possible to code the EGR valve to stay closed or insert blanks without issues?

Please keep posting SQ5 content, really enjoy it. Especially with details of purchases and how to install ��
    Hi - glad to hear my SQ5 posts have been helpful to you over in the UK. I will try to answer your questions below.

Intake decarb - I can take a photo if need be, but just near your passenger side headlight there is a rubber intercooler pipe that connects to a hard plastic pipe that then goes into the intake manifold. All you need is a phillips screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp on this rubber hose, then you can slide the hose off, and insert the Liqui Moly decarb nozzle. You will need a 2nd person to start the engine and hold the revs on approx 2000rpm while you spray the product into the engine in bursts of a few seconds at a time. Just make sure you do this outside where it is well ventilated otherwise you will be breathing in the fumes.

Catch can install - on the drivers side of the engine, at the rear of the cam cover you will find an accordion pipe that goes from the cam cover to the turbo intake pipe. This accordion hose is only 10-15cm long. Remove this hose, then cut off the pipe leaving just the fittings at either end (as per the 3rd photo in this post: Playing with an Audi SQ5 TDI). Using some 19mm ID rubber hose (use fuel safe hose) route from the cam cover to the inlet of the catch can, then from the outlet of the catch can route the rubber hose back to where the other connection is just at the turbo inlet. You may also need some 19mm ID plastic/nylon fittings in various angles to get everything lines up correctly.

EGR - have a look at Darkside Developments in the UK who are diesel tuning gurus. They sell an EGR block off plate (which I used for a short time on my car) as well as other mods for the SQ5. But basically no, you cannot block off the EGR without the ECU being retuned to suit, and generally you cannot block the EGR without also deleting the DPF's
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks Lucas.

Intake decarb - understand where you are meaning now. Took that all apart when cleaning the inlet manifold flaps. So should be easy. I'm assuming it best to do this just before an oil change 🤔

Catch can install - sorry I'm not understanding where the flow and return pipes connect exactly. Could you please take a photo and arrow point to clarify? No hurry I'm just trying to figure out if I'm capable of fitting one myself. Also a close up photo of your custom bracket would be useful. Did you consider placing it anywhere else, and does the length of pipework affect performance at all? Lastly have you checked inside the inlet manifold flap to see if it is keeping it clean? Also have you considered taking the manifold off to clean?

EGR - yes I can across Darkside Development around the same time I found your posts here. I might consider contacting them for advice. Only downside is that it is a fair trek down to them being based in Scotland. They also do swirl flap delete - which I'm not sure about.

Do you have any further plans for the SQ5?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast