Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non VAG content...My 2008 Subaru Liberty GT (Tuned by STI)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    I wondered how you were going down there!

Hopefully you didn’t really like the Subaru!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    D@mn, sorry to see this Lucas

What is up next? Something different yet again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    That's for sure sad view.
    Thanks guys - was sad to see it die like that. It was a really nice car too. Wasn't even able to crack 100,000km (was on 99,765km when it got towed away by insurance). Insurance called last night to confirm its a write off. Contemplated buying it back to strip as I could have easily made money selling the Brembos, 6 speed STI box, engine, diffs etc - but this would take many hours to strip apart, and many hours dealing with tyre kickers and I would have needed to buy extra tools (engine crane etc). These tuned by STI models have some very sought after bits on them among the Subaru community.

Spent a day stripping all the parts off it that I had put on recently (exhaust, Cusco braces, intake, BOV etc etc) and am currently selling those.

Looking at Mk7 R's and S3's for the replacement car so might be a dual VAG household once again. Just trying to find a manual among the sea of DSG's.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 06-08-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Thanks guys - was sad to see it die like that. It was a really nice car too. Wasn't even able to crack 100,000km (was on 99,765km when it got towed away by insurance). Insurance called last night to confirm its a write off. Contemplated buying it back to strip as I could have easily made money selling the Brembos, 6 speed STI box, engine, diffs etc - but this would take many hours to strip apart, and many hours dealing with tyre kickers and I would have needed to buy extra tools (engine crane etc). These tuned by STI models have some very sought after bits on them among the Subaru community.

Spent a day stripping all the parts of it I had put on recently (exhaust, Cusco braces, intake, BOV etc etc) and am currently selling those.

Looking at Mk7 R's and S3's for the replacement car so might be a dual VAG household once again. Just trying to find a manual among the sea of DSG's.
    I can absolutely recommend a manual R (or S3 which is even rarer still). It is a magic car with none of the DSG issues .... no stop-start annoyances either. To get a tune on it, you would need to do the clutch as it cannot handle the tuned torque. They are rare though and much more sought after 2nd hand (so less discount).

Audi S1 could be an option too .... though you'd need to do an IS38 AND a clutch then
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Bugger!!! Hopefully you get a decent payout for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    I can absolutely recommend a manual R (or S3 which is even rarer still). It is a magic car with none of the DSG issues .... no stop-start annoyances either. To get a tune on it, you would need to do the clutch as it cannot handle the tuned torque. They are rare though and much more sought after 2nd hand (so less discount).

Audi S1 could be an option too .... though you'd need to do an IS38 AND a clutch then
    Yes thanks im aware of the clutch issues - same deal on my Mk6 R I had 5 years ago. There is a white Mk7 R manual about 3 hours away with 70,000km and its been modified a bit (stage 1 tune, upgraded clutch, IPE exhaust, lowered, rims). I will have a chat to the guy - as long as it hasn't been thrashed then it will be worth a look.

Found 1x manual S3 so may have a look at that too.

Not sure I could go an S1, they are kind of cool but girly. There is a white one I see around and I cant quite make up my mind whether I like it or not.

Also not ruling out Mk7 or Mk7.5 GTI's.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Bugger!!! Hopefully you get a decent payout for it.
    $18.5k which is what I paid for it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Not sure I could go an S1, they are kind of cool but girly. There is a white one I see around and I cant quite make up my mind whether I like it or not.

Also not ruling out Mk7 or Mk7.5 GTI's.
    Careful - the permanently offended Lefties out there will jump all over that.

Can't disagree though, although I don't feel the same about the Polo.. go figure.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Careful - the permanently offended Lefties out there will jump all over that.

Can't disagree though, although I don't feel the same about the Polo.. go figure.
    Oh man the Polo is super girly. My brother bought one of the 2019 model Polo GTI's and they are just so bland yet somehow girly. Not aggressive at all.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Oh man the Polo is super girly. My brother bought one of the 2019 model Polo GTI's and they are just so bland yet somehow girly. Not aggressive at all.
    At least not without visual tweaks. I still find them less feminine than the A1/S1 though.. mind you as the size and price has crept up they sit too close to a Golf for me anyway.

Good luck on the R/S3 search, a manual GTI 40 years would probably be a good find too..

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    The new ones yes, I agree. Last of the non girly ones were the 2006-2010 20V 1.8T ones. I liked it so much I bought the same 1 twice .... and may even do it again for a 3rd time.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

That white R looks good. It needs the intake side to be completed though, but that is easy and cheap enough to do.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 06-08-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast