Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non VAG content...My 2008 Subaru Liberty GT (Tuned by STI)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Non VAG content...My 2008 Subaru Liberty GT (Tuned by STI)

Also replaced the AVCS (Active Valve Control System) solenoids last week after diagnosing that they were the cause of an intermittent stutter I would get occasionally when driving the car. The AVCS solenoids are known to go on these engines between 80,000-100,000km.

New genuine parts sourced from Amayama in Japan for approx than 1/3rd of the local price. (local quoted price $280 each, Amayama price $104 each). Only took and hour to replace and stutter is now gone.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 16-07-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Great work mate.

Users Country Flag
    I had a Subaru (Gen 2 2.5 DOHC) before I went down the VW/Skoda path. I be hard pressed to go that way again.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Great work mate.
    Always need to have a job or two lined up in the garage to escape the wife and child when things get heated.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I had a Subaru (Gen 2 2.5 DOHC) before I went down the VW/Skoda path. I be hard pressed to go that way again.
    Sorry to hear your experience wasn't great, but so far I am really enjoying the Suby. Its far more reliable than any of my 3x VAG cars have been, despite being much older, goes well, sounds good, is simple enough to work on, has a nice quality interior which is comfy and quiet etc. And I love the pillarless doors.

Cons are not as refined/well made, not great on fuel and there is always the possibility of headgasket issues etc.

My mate of mine years ago had a Gen 1 Liberty RS and I loved it, and ever since then I have wanted to own either the Gen 3 B4 or the Gen 4 GT. The B4 is plagued with issues (twin turbo) as they are just to complicated, so I went with a Gen 4.

It will do the job for a few years then I will move onto something else as I work my way through my list of attainable "dream" cars id like to own before im too old or dead.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    A few mates had the "Tuned by STI" and were very happy.
    The Gen4 is a timeless design. It's all been down hill for Subaru since then.

Don't upgrade the rear sway bar unless you upgrade the mounts as well.
    The body panels are ridiculously thin. They will dent if you breath on them.

B4 - what a bun fight. You couldn't tune the VOD between turbos out of them. Somebody at Subaru needs to learn about Venn Diagrams
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

A few mates had the "Tuned by STI" and were very happy.
    The Gen4 is a timeless design. It's all been down hill for Subaru since then.
    Agreed. I have always liked the Gen 4 and they still look nice. Great shape. All Subaru's since the mid/late 2000's have been so ugly with no style.

Don't upgrade the rear sway bar unless you upgrade the mounts as well.
    The body panels are ridiculously thin. They will dent if you breath on them.
    Yes I am aware of this. Funnily enough I am currently waiting for a Cusco rear sway bar and matching Cusco subframe reinforcing brackets, as I have heard the stock ones can break.

And yes, the body panels are thin (typical for Jap/Korean cars). The VAG cars in that respect are definitely more solid.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Non VAG content...My 2008 Subaru Liberty GT (Tuned by STI)

Well that was a short affair with the Subaru. We had torrential rain over the weekend and my driveway, garage and backyard flooded late on Sunday afternoon and the Subaru was stuck inside the garage. I tried to move it to no avail - too little too late. Insurance are towing it away tomorrow but it will be a write off (water was inside up to just below the centre console and all of the electronics have gone haywire).

Thankfully I had enough time to get my wife's car out of the way and onto higher ground, so we still have use of that car.

House was thankfully not damaged so that's a huge bonus too.

Now to clean up the huge mess everywhere in the backyard, shed and garage........fun times.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 29-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I wondered how you were going down there!

Hopefully you didn’t really like the Subaru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    D@mn, sorry to see this Lucas

What is up next? Something different yet again?
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

That's for sure sad view.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast