Support VWWC

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

Users Country Flag

Any update photos on the mat set Lucas? Keen to get a set too!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Great reading, Lucas! Great price you picked this beastie up for too!

After reading today's installment, might have to take you up on that dump pipe offer after all...
    It's a no cost DIY way to remove some of the restriction in the stock down pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    Great work Lucas, R tails look the part compared to the shabby MKVI GTI ones.

Having followed your MKVI thread, I can't wait to see what the future brings for this one.
    Love the R tail lights - makes the car look more modern and sharper.

This car is only going to be 'lightly' breathed upon. Will be doing a few little things to it, but wont be spending as much money on it as i did with the R. It needs some rims though - i dislike the stock rims.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony--t View Post
    Killer job Lucas! What a sweet price to pic it up at too, your wife must be happy about all these awesome new mods haha
    Thanks Anthony - haven't seen you for ages. Hope you are well. Yeh it was a good price - but needed some TLC. It's been keeping me busy over the past month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzad0c View Post
    Any tips on how you installed the waste gate clip for a novice? I've only found one video on YouTube and it ain't great!
    Not really im sorry. I also watched the YouTube video you are talking about. Its a tight fit up there - so it's hard enough getting your hand up there with the spring, let alone trying to film it/take photos. My clip was quite hard to get on - i had a hard time getting it on there (not helped by awkward angle and no room).

Quote Originally Posted by nat225 View Post
    Any update photos on the mat set Lucas? Keen to get a set too!
    Yes they arrived this week. They look great. A couple of pics below for you. Disregard the few interior trim bits missing on the drivers side - i was working in that area when i took the pics.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

It's incredible how much filth can accumulate on a car when it isn't cleaned regularly. Nice job bringing her back to somewhat new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by BLN355 View Post
    It's incredible how much filth can accumulate on a car when it isn't cleaned regularly. Nice job bringing her back to somewhat new condition.
    Yep - she was a dirty girl. But i have managed to bring it back to near new condition again after many hours of TLC (eg polish/degreasers/cleaners etc).

ECU is out and on its way down to DNA Tuning for a tune. Should hopefully have that back in the next week. Should be an increase of something like 40kw and 95nm (at the engine). Im very happy with the smoothness and power/torque of the DNA tune on my Golf R, so hopefully it will be similar for the GTI.

While the ECU is out (and the car is obviously un-driveable while that's happening), i took the opportunity to jack it up, remove the disks to send them off to be machined in preparation for new Remsa pads ill be fitting this week. While the disks and pads are out, i took the opportunity to clean the brake dust off the calipers. MY GOD they were filthy. A paintbrush and about 2L of degreaser later, they are now looking good again.

Anyway, they are squeaky clean now and ready to be re-fitted. Pics to come.

Also getting my new solid lower control arm (LCA) bushes pressed in to the alloy housings (press the old ones out and then press the new ones in) today by the same people who are machining the disks. See here for info and pics on these LCA bushes. Should be a good (and inexpensive) way to sharpen up the front end and improve steering response.

Have been looking at intakes. Think im sold on the sexy new Unitronic intake that has been recently released for the 2.0TSI engine. It keeps the stock MAF housing (important), is very nicely made and has good feedback, and has a dry filter with head shield. Link to pics here: HYDE16 Reviews - Unitronic 2.0 TSI Cold Air Intake System - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-03-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    While you are in cleaning mode I suggest you remove the A/C fan & give it a blow out & wipe over. You'll find it covered in "black stuff" (tech term).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    While you are in cleaning mode I suggest you remove the A/C fan & give it a blow out & wipe over. You'll find it covered in "black stuff" (tech term).
    Not a bad idea. How hard is it to access? I already changed the cabin filter.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

That Unitronic intake doesn't look too bad. A bit of that rubber sealing stuff from around the back of the fire wall around the top edges to seal on the bonnet and a plate to cover the hole under it and it'd be a nice little unit imo.
    2001 S4 Matte Charcoal metallic | M6 | MTM tuned | Zinram 3.5inch catback | SRM SMIC's | ST Coilovers | Work Meister S13p's

2002 Bora 4Mo Indigo Blue Pearl | FK Coils | Air box swisscheesing | Audi B5 S4 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BLN355 View Post
    That Unitronic intake doesn't look too bad. A bit of that rubber sealing stuff from around the back of the fire wall around the top edges to seal on the bonnet and a plate to cover the hole under it and it'd be a nice little unit imo.
    Yep thats pretty much my thinking too (seal the box off better). Further down the track i will try and source another carbon fibre shroud for the air filter so that a) its legal, and b) some bling
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 18-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Easy on the Octavia -assume Golf is similar.

on Octavia:
    Remove the end plate of the dash on the LHS to allow access to the single glove box screw underneath.
    Remove the 3 top glovebox screws inside the glovebox & 2x bottom screws outside the glovebox.
    Remove glovebox - disconnect glovebox light wiring.
    Remove HVAC outlet (1 screw)
    Remove fan connector wiring
    Twist & remove fan (no screws usually, just a locator tab)

15m removal, 20m cleaning, 20m refit.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Regarding rims, yes we will get some 18's when these tyres wear out. So we will just run the stock rims for another 6 months or so while i find some rims that i like. Will probably get a nice charcoal colour rim.
    I'm biased Lucas, but if you vaguely recall my red GTI I fitted charcoal OZs - it was actually a white GTI in the USA that swung me over as below. Might be more than you're willing to spend, but sensational wheel and suits the white beautifully.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast