Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Nice one Lucas... can you clean my car too?
    All that work and im still not finished cleaning it yet Ive probably spent 20hrs just on cleaning it so far (even took out the tail lights and rear bumper and cleaned all the muck from behind there. Im a little OCD with car cleaning

The interior is immaculate now (bar the new custom floor mats im in the process of ordering) but the exterior/underside still needs work.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Productive weekend on the new GTI.

Saturday morning saw the OEM dump pipe removed and replaced with a gutted dump pipe (top cat removed). This is a temporary mod, and I will more than likely get a proper 3” downpipe in the next 6 months or so, but for now I thought I’d remove the “brick wall” which is the dense catalytic converter right at the exit of the turbo and free up some airflow.

Good news is that there is no check engine light (CEL) after doing this mod. I thought I was going to have to run a 42DD o2 spacer, but it would seem not. I have left the second catalytic convertor untouched. I was hoping this might allow some turbo spool noise to be heard, but it would seem not. I think the stock boost level is so low that the turbo is hardly even working.

Fitted the new rear diffuser (old one had a section cut out of it where the towbar used to sit). Arrived in perfect condition from ECS Tuning in under a week along with some other bits.

Fitted the wastegate rattle clip to the little K03 turbo’s wastegate arm. Those with the 2.0TSI engine will be aware of the horrible rattling (sounds like the engine is pinging) sound that these engines make on heavy throttle between about 2.500-4,000rpm. Well the sound is the wastegate rod rattling around. The clip fixes that problem.

Fitted my new 4000k H15 DRL/High Beam bulbs that arrived from France but unfortunately my joy was very short lived as one of the bulbs was defective. Have emailed the company asking about warranty/refund.

OEM Golf R LED tail lights and wiring harness turned up this morning from Bold Sport – so that will be tonight’s job….fitting them and doing the necessary VCDS coding. Also my new steering wheel emblem (bottom emblem with GTI written on it) turned up. The car has a silver emblem in it currently, and then later GTI’s got a silver and dark grey emblem which I like better. Anyway I got the silver and grey one from Bold Sport.

Have been speaking with John from DNA Tuning about a stage 1 or stage 2 tune for the GTI. I was hoping this GTI would have a non-encrypted ECU (being an early 2010 model) but DNA head office in the UK have confirmed that it is in-fact an encrypted ECU and will need to be physically opened to be able to read and write a file to it. So I will park the GTI up in the garage, remove the ECU and send it down to DNA in Melbourne to be opened and tuned. Will be doing this in the next 3-4 weeks.

New Remsa brake pads have arrived from GSL too. The disks need machining, so will remove the disks and do the brakes while the ECU is down with DNA for tuning.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    So do you think the gutted #1 cat makes a difference?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    So do you think the gutted #1 cat makes a difference?
    Yes i do think so Brad - the car feels a bit pokier. Wish i was made of money and could have done before and after dyno runs to see what it showed. I think if i had done this once the car is tuned (and running some more boost) it would have been even more obvious.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    cool.

/adds to list
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

OEM Golf R LED tail lights arrived today, so installing them and coding them was my afternoon job.

Also disabled the DRL lights (using the indicator stalk method - via Google because there is no way via VCDS or the MFD to do it).

And fitted the new steering wheel emblem - the newer style grey emblem looks nicer IMO.

OEM Golf R lights:

Old vs New:

Steering wheel emblem:

New seat handle inserts:

Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Great reading, Lucas! Great price you picked this beastie up for too!

After reading today's installment, might have to take you up on that dump pipe offer after all...
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    Great work Lucas, R tails look the part compared to the shabby MKVI GTI ones.

Having followed your MKVI thread, I can't wait to see what the future brings for this one.

Killer job Lucas! What a sweet price to pic it up at too, your wife must be happy about all these awesome new mods haha

Any tips on how you installed the waste gate clip for a novice? I've only found one video on YouTube and it ain't great!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast