Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Cool, that pump seems good, especially since history shows the VW one will fail, sadly.

It really should be a lifetime warranty fix as it's clearly not fit for purpose.

Same thing with 3rd gear issues in manual MQ Tritons. Mitsubishi will "fix" it as many times as it fails in warranty but after that you're on your own.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    It really should be a lifetime warranty fix as it's clearly not fit for purpose.
    They could very easily re-engineer it out of cast aluminium to make it far more durable, but they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    Same thing with 3rd gear issues in manual MQ Tritons. Mitsubishi will "fix" it as many times as it fails in warranty but after that you're on your own.
    Manufacturers get away with avoiding the issue here in Australia dont they. In America there would be a recall quick smart. Just like VW and the timing chain issues in the MK6 GTI - they knew it was a design issue for years and never recalled them.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yes, it's very disappointing.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

After waiting for about 2 months, some Whiteline goodies turned up today. KTA252 alloy lower control arms with 2 degrees caster correction. Got them on sale through Car Mods Australia for a good price, but Whiteline were out of stock so had to wait.

Whiteline KTA252

Ive got a service booked in 3 weeks so ill get my mechanic to install the control arms at the same time.

I had the Superpro version of these on my Mk6 R a few years back and the increase in turn in and steering feedback was well worth it, let alone the lighter weight and bling-factor.

Also hoping these new arms will stop or at least reduce some of the suspension creaking I get sometimes when going in or out of driveways (known to be the rubber bushes in the factory control arms). Have already replaced the strut tops and bearings within the last 5,000km.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 29-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Still havent fitted the Whiteline control arms. They were on backorder for months and were not here in time for my mechanic to install them when the car was serviced recently - so ill be doing the install at home in the next few weeks.

Some new goodies have arrived recently. I stalled on the GTI mods for a while as I was very close to buying a 2016 Audi RS3 - but decided it wasn't necessary to spend approx $65k on a car that I only drive about 50-100km a week on average. So, as much as id still love an RS3, the GTI is staying for now.

New Focal IS VW 155 speakers fitted front and rear along with soundproofing all of the inner door skins. These are a nice affordable (<$450 delivered from the UK) upgrade over the factory speakers, and combined with the soundproofing, give the stereo more clarity and bass. Im not sure if its any louder overall, but definitely clearer and stronger bass. https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...genr/is-vw-155

GTI logo puddle lights fitted while I had the door trims off. Got these from iilumo VW GOLF MK5/6/7/7.5 - DOOR LED GTI LOGO PROJECTOR LIGHT– iilumo

Garrett Powermax GT2260S stage 1 turbo arrived. I was considering either the HPA OEM+ IS38 turbo or the Garrett. Both turbos work out around the same price as the Garrett is about $800 cheaper but requires a HPFP upgrade to get the most out of it. Im just sitting on this for a few months to see if Integrated Engineering release a tune file for our market, otherwise ill be getting retuned with either Tarmac Engineering, Underground Performance or Galano. I would really like a boost-by-gear tune to limit wheelspin and I believe Galano are the only ones who offer this currently. Im not chasing max power and not looking to do E85, just hoping for around 240-250kw to liven it up. Hopping that with this power goal I can get away (safely) without upgrading the HPFP. Garrett PowerMax Turbocharger - GT2260S - 'Stage 1' Volkswagen / Audi MQB MK7 & 8V
    – VAGPARTS Australia

Also did a brake fluid flush and installed a new gear shift trim piece (old one was flaking off and would cut you). MK7/7.5 DSG Chrome shifter surround - RHD
    – Track Hack Parts

Last edited by Lucas_R; 22-08-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Nice, I've been looking at the GT2260 myself. IE, does not seem to have a tune for the 2019-2021 models (yet) so I am stalling too.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Nice, I've been looking at the GT2260 myself. IE, does not seem to have a tune for the 2019-2021 models (yet) so I am stalling too.
    Yeah I messaged IE about it a few weeks ago and they said they are working on a tune file for Australia, but no ETA. I will give them a few months to sort it as id rather stay with IE, but if they don't have something (or at least an ETA) in a few months ill go elsewhere.

I believe the Powermax does not fit properly on the Mk7.5 for some reason so best you check that out.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I believe the Powermax does not fit properly on the Mk7.5 for some reason so best you check that out.
    Thanks, I'll check that out. The HPA OEM+ is 2nd on my list as with that and the IE HT Stg 2 tune, I'd be looking at ~320kw (on the engine) which will be enough for me in daily driving (and no HPFP required). I am already looking at an Autotech HPFP kit for the Amarok so really don't want to do 2 ...
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hi Lucas,
    Regarding the Focal speaker upgrade, we’re they hard to install?
    Where did you source these from?
    Thanks in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by vorace View Post
    Regarding the Focal speaker upgrade, we’re they hard to install?
    Where did you source these from?
    I sourced the speakers from Germany because the prices locally were nearly double. I got them through this ebay seller. Postage was slow (about 6 weeks) but they did contact me and tell me it would be slow and asked if I wasted to cancel: Focal ISVW155 Inside 2 Way Compo 15.5 CM Speaker VW Golf 7 Au-Auf 2012- 20 3544052750232 | eBay

If you want to replace both sets of front and rear speakers you will need to purchase 2x sets. The price has gone up a bit since I bought mine late last year but its still a very good price compared to sourcing locally.

The install is literally plug and play so no cutting or modifying cables etc. If you are handy or have done speaker upgrades in the past then you will be fine. If you have never done anything like this before then you might struggle. Refer to the guides below for removing the door trims. The only tool that you might not have in your toolbox is a pop rivet tool which is needed to install the new speakers.

Front Door Trim Removal – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct

Rear Door Trim Removal – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct

A Pillar Trim Removal – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast