Support VWWC

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Users Country Flag

How did you find the quality of the Aliexpress foot rest?
    MY20 MK7.5 GTI - Solid White
    MY23 T-ROC STYLE - Silver Metallic

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran78 View Post
    How did you find the quality of the Aliexpress foot rest?
    Its great - no issues at all. Its slightly narrower than the original footrest (perhaps 10-15mm narrower) but its plenty wide enough still, fits perfectly and looks much better (especially so as mine was quite scratched from the previous owner).

Pics below show it.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

For some reason RHD cars only have this option, which is for manual cars, but it's better than nothing.

All RHD autos come with the plastic footrest, LHD cars have a nicer one.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Next round of mods have arrived.

- ZSS 25.4mm rear swaybar (to replace the factory 21mm swaybar)
    - Moog steel end links (to replace the rubbish factory plastic end links)
    - do88 intercooler for MQB vehicles

I will be installing these over the next few weeks as time and enthusiasm allows.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-08-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well it was a busy afternoon working on the GTI yesterday. Starting with a 6 monthly oil and filter change + general check over, I then moved onto a job ive been dreading because its a $h!tfight......the intercooler.

The original GTI intercooler is a very basic unit, obviously made to a very low cost and leaves a lot of room for improvement. You could easily upgrade to an intercooler thats 1/2 the size but with a better quality core, and have a better performing intercooler.

The new do88 intercooler is a considerable upgrade in both core quality, thickness of the core (from 30mm to about 58mm) and more durable larger capacity cast end tanks.

With the bumper off, everything was given a good clean out with a vacuum first and then some soapy water as there was 5 years of bugs, leaves and other debris. I also vacuumed the radiator core and a/c core to remove bugs/feathers etc that was stuck on them.

Next weekend ill do the rear swaybar and end links upgrade and check my exhaust and downpipe while I am under there.

Oil change time:

These oil funnels which have a specific attachment for the EA888 engine are great:

Time to rip the whole front of the car off. Thankfully my trusty battery powered ratchet wrench made the job of removing a million Torx bolts faster:

Standard VW intercooler core:

do88 intercooler core:

Core comparison:

Putting it all back together:

A test drive confirmed everything is running beautifully and no leaks . Getting ready for a Garrett Powermax GT2260S turbo incoming shortly.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 02-11-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Nice work!
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    Nice work!
    Agree 100%, good job Lucas!
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Agree 100%, good job Lucas!
    Thanks - im glad its done now as it was a job i was not looking forward to. I did it on my Mk6 R about 6-7 years ago so knew that I was in for a similar experience.

Im currently having an upgraded intercooler made up for my other car, my brother is a talented metal fabricator and has access to Garrett intercooler cores so he is custom making me a larger capacity (and better quality) intercooler for the SQ5. The Fab Warehouse
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 02-11-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Thanks - im glad its done now as it was a job i was not looking forward to. I did it on my Mk6 R about 6-7 years ago so knew that I was in for a similar experience.
    Yeah, its painful ... especially on your back LOL

I recently pulled the entire front of the Polo I'm fixing down to same level you did, still to put it back together though, should have labelled the screws etc better

Will need to do the same to the Up! when I'm adding an intercooler (eBay cheapie) and the foglights and when I do the R.

On the R will get the DP and IC fitted on the same day (need to order the IC still and leaning towards the IE one) before sending it for a clutch replacement. Running Stg 1 with high torque now and whilst its holding up stock for now, I think its deteriorating.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Yeah, its painful ... especially on your back LOL

I recently pulled the entire front of the Polo I'm fixing down to same level you did, still to put it back together though, should have labelled the screws etc better

Will need to do the same to the Up! when I'm adding an intercooler (eBay cheapie) and the foglights and when I do the R.

On the R will get the DP and IC fitted on the same day (need to order the IC still and leaning towards the IE one) before sending it for a clutch replacement. Running Stg 1 with high torque now and whilst its holding up stock for now, I think its deteriorating.
    If you can get the IE intercooler on sale then its not a bad deal - but very expensive if full price. But the IE and do88 are the pest performing intercoolers for the Mk7. Funnily enough the IE is on sale at the moment for $1629. The do88 was about $1150 so still a considerable price difference between them considering almost identical performance. I love the IE products but just couldn't justify paying an extra $500 for essentially the same product.

I love your little Up! project - will be such a cool and unique little car with the factory turbo engine.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast