Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Yes I like to change my cars every 2-3 years as get bored and I end up wanting to try something new to keep my interest. And yes I still do prefer a manual gearbox but with the GTI PP I had no option unfortunately as these were only available in Australia with a DSG.
    My post disappeared, I was about to edit it to put it more on topic earlier.

I can't believe how ratty the brakes looked on your PP after so few kms. You have tidied them up very nicely, how will you keep that stainless hub part shiny though (edit:-ahh, I see it is just shiny black and reflecting rather than shiny stainless)?
    Did you get a template/stencil to get the gti logo back on, or was that part just a clean up job (or a sticker)?
    So many new bits already into your GTI! Nice one, always like reading your threads to get some new ideas.
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    My post disappeared, I was about to edit it to put it more on topic earlier.

I can't believe how ratty the brakes looked on your PP after so few kms. You have tidied them up very nicely, how will you keep that stainless hub part shiny though (edit:-ahh, I see it is just shiny black and reflecting rather than shiny stainless)?
    Did you get a template/stencil to get the gti logo back on, or was that part just a clean up job (or a sticker)?
    So many new bits already into your GTI! Nice one, always like reading your threads to get some new ideas.
    Yes the brakes did indeed look ratty. The people who owned the car before me lived about 1km from the ocean so that probably contributed to it too. But yes I just used a wire wheel to remove as much of the rust off the hub etc and then gave it a few coats of a high temp black paint. They look much better now.

I didnt paint the calipers, they were grubby but underneath all that dirt the calipers were undamaged. So the red you are seeing is the original finish on the calipers - just nice and clean now. The GTI logo was already there (because my GTI is the Performance Pack it has the larger Golf R disks and calipers and they come with the GTI logo on the front calipers).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

My new Koya SF11 rims have arrived and I did a test fit on the weekend while pulling the front suspension out (yet again) to remove the 4 week old 034 Motorsport strut tops which were a huge disappointment (very noisy and rattly when driving). Replaced with brand new OEM (Sachs) strut tops which are now nice and quiet. Also fitted 034 Motorsport spring sleeves to help protect the paint from chipping off the springs and reduce noise when the spring coils touch each other under compression.

Very happy with the rims so far, they look to be very nice quality, nice paint finish and are pretty light. Cant wait to get the tyres mounted and another wheel alignment done so I can properly see what they will look like. I am booked in on the 16th Dec for this.

Rims spec is 19x8.5 ET42.

Loaded on the Integrated Engineering DSG tune....so much better than the stock DSG tune. I used to never drive around in normal D mode because I hated how the car was always in such a high gear and never had any power because the revs were always so low. Since the DSG tune, I have left the car in D mode for the majority of my driving the past few weeks because it is so much better now. As an added bonus, now that I have the DSG tune I was able to load up the high torque version of the stage 1 engine tune from Integrated Engineering.

Also rolled over 50,000km last week.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-12-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Hi Lucas,

What colour/finish are your Koya wheels?

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Quote Originally Posted by vorace View Post
    Hi Lucas,

What colour/finish are your Koya wheels?
    They are Gloss GTR grey Koya Wheels | Colour Collection

I just had them fitted yesterday.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-12-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

nice!!

Users Country Flag
    Those look good!! Need to fix the puny exhaust tips now
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Those look good!! Need to fix the puny exhaust tips now
    Yep agreed - the stock tips are puny. Trying to decide on a new exhaust and tossing up between the APR, Unitronic & CTS. The APR looks to be beautiful quality but the only thing I dont like about it is that the main muffler is before the rear wheels which leaves it looking a bit odd from behind IMO (i like a nice stainless muffler when looking from the back).

The CTS has a nice big muffler at the back, but after having a CTS on my Mk6 GTI a few years back, fitment was a bit off which caused some rubbing when the exhaust warmed up (which cost me a few hundred $ at my exhaust shop to fix up) and it was a little too quiet (big rear muffler and big mid muffler too).

The Unitronic is a similar design to the CTS but with a smaller mid muffler, used v bands which are much nicer to work with than bolted flanges and the stainless piping/mufflers are brushed which is a much nicer look than the polished piping IMO. Ive had a few Unitronic parts in the past and they are lovely quality. So the Unitronic is at the top of my list at the moment.

You might think that it would seem silly to not consider the newly released Integrated Engineering exhaust considering I have quite a few of their products. I dont like the way it sounds (based off YouTube vids) so its out.

APR: APR Catback Exhaust - 20T GTI MK7 - APR

CTS: CTS Turbo MK7 GTI 3" Cat Back Exhaust - CTS TURBO

Unitronic: Unitronic Cat-Back Exhaust System for MK7 and MK7.5 GTI - Available Now

In the meantime, I have purchased a Integrated Engineering downpipe when they were on special recently. Still very expensive but a few hundred $ cheaper than the normal price of $1,729. Also purchased an Integrated Engineering turbo elbow to replace my current 034 Motorsport one and will match my IE intake.

IE Downpipe: IE MQB VW MK7/MK7.5 GTI, Golf, & Audi A3 Performance Cast Downpipe (FWD) – Dub Addiction

IE turbo inlet elbow: IE Turbo Inlet Pipe for VW & Audi 2.0T/1.8T Gen 3 Engines | Fits VW MK – JT MODS

The car is also booked in for its 4yr/60,000km service done with Newcastle VW Centre next month. The previous owner who was a mechanic said he had changed the DSG fluid about 18 months ago but had no evidence, so getting it done for piece of mind along with brake fluid and the haldex fluid for the e-LSD which comes in the GTI Performance.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-02-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    EDIT - yes the 034 strut mounts suck. They are not for me. Sounds like I have left all the bolts loose in the front suspension. Will be buying some brand new strut tops and fitting those - cant wait to pull the front suspension to bits again.
    Slow reply sorry, just had a re-read through your post. That sucks about the 034 mounts. I would describe the sound similar on mine, initially I reassembled and double checked all the bolts as I thought I had installed them incorrectly lol.

Some googling leads me to believe it's a common problem but I would much rather have OEM quiet and slightly softer mounts over the noisy 034 stuff.

Wheels look good and exhaust options look good too... My preference would be unitronic with black tips but yeah it's pretty exe My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adey88; 27-02-2021 at 09:44 PM.

I have definitely seen this floating around Newy. I also have a 2015 PP Gti and I am quite literally putting an IE ECU and TCU tune in it as I type. Where are you located? I’m interested in hearing an aftermarket exhaust, previous owner did a resonator delete that I am just starting to get over and would rather buy an exhaust that sounds good than spend cash on an OEM resonator installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast