Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

More goodies arrived this week - a mix of some mods and some maintenance items.

Unfortunately my Integrated Engineering stage 1 tune will have to wait a few days as my OBD dongle was faulty upon arrival and couldn’t communicate with my ECU....replacement unit is on the way.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 17-10-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Nice purchase My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG. Good to see you aren't mucking about and straight into the mods, love it!

Keen to see how the mk7 034 strut top mounts go, I had the mk5 ones and they knocked badly and I took them off after 2 weeks.

Also, that IE intake is beautiful! I'm sure it cost a pretty penny My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I don't even know what half that stuff does
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Looking forward to seeing what direction you go with the build. Anything planned for wheels?

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    Nice purchase My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG. Good to see you aren't mucking about and straight into the mods, love it!

Keen to see how the Mk7 034 strut top mounts go, I had the mk5 ones and they knocked badly and I took them off after 2 weeks.

Also, that IE intake is beautiful! I'm sure it cost a pretty penny My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.
    Yes I am interested to see how the 034 strut tops go too - these are the softer "street density" mounts so im hoping they wont be much different from the OEM ones apart from being longer lasting due to improved design. The stock strut tops (and strut bearings) are shagged so they couldn't be any worse than what I already have. But, if they are no good, I will replace with OEM strut tops.

And yes, I really like the IE intake too. Its looks great and is well made too.

EDIT - yes the 034 strut mounts suck. They are not for me. Sounds like I have left all the bolts loose in the front suspension. Will be buying some brand new strut tops and fitting those - cant wait to pull the front suspension to bits again.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't even know what half that stuff does
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what direction you go with the build. Anything planned for wheels?
    Wont be doing too much with this one. But the wheels are buggered so yes i have some new rims on order.....just playing the waiting game.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 19-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

My Mk7 GTI PP....turns out I cant resist the VAG.

Some more mods and maintenance on the GTI over the past few days.

My battery powered rattle gun and ratchet got a workout and certainly helped make this job faster and less of a pain than it was the last time I did it (3-4yrs ago on my Mk6 GTI using hand tools only).

- Denso IHK24 platinum spark plugs fitted
    - 034 Dynamic+ lowering springs
    - 034 street density strut mounts and new strut bearings
    - trimmed about an inch off the bump stops all around
    - cleaned and detailed under the guards/axles/struts/suspension arms etc

The springs have lowered the front about 2.5cm and the rear about 3cm. The springs ride well and although they are firmer than stock, they are still very comfortable for daily road use.

The jury is still out on the 034 strut tops because they are noisy, but I just found that 034 sell some rubber sleeves to put around the top of the spring which will help in this respect. So ill buy a set of these and see how much it improves the situation. Worse case ill buy set of stock VW strut tops and change them over.

New strut bearings are great - the original ones were buggered and were making lots of creaking and groaning sounds.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 10-11-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Looks great.

How's the PP compared to your Mk6's?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Id say the biggest difference from my Mk6 GTI to the Mk7 is the electronic differential. The Mk7 just puts the power down so much better than the Mk6 did. Apart from this they are very similar in my opinion. The Mk6 had a better steering wheel though - nice to look at and nicer to hold.

And I do still miss the 6 speed manual transmission - as good as the DSG is in the Mk7, I still wish it was a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
    Looks great.

How's the PP compared to your Mk6's?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

More goodies incoming over the next little while:

- Maxton design front lip. MAXTON DESIGN LTD - FRONT SPLITTER V2 VW GOLF 7 GTI
    - IE DSG tune (and with that, I can then load on the high torque stage 1 tune).
    - New OEM strut tops to replace the woeful 034 Motorsport ones which just knock constantly. I have used quite a few 034 products on several cars and this is the only product I have not been happy with.
    - New rims should only be 1-2 weeks away now.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    Nice thread, you go thru more cars than I do jeans
    Still have my MK6R, 45K on the clock only.
    Interesting you still prefer the manual. My manual is slipping like crazy, still have the sachs pressure plate+clutch sitting here not fitted, probably should do that!
    Hey Tony! Long time no see or hear. Hope you have been well. Good to hear you still have your Mk6 R. Hurry up and get that clutch kit fitted....you've had it for about 5 years haha. You might want to get the mechanic to change the rear main seal while he is in there too as these are known to leak.

Yes I like to change my cars every 2-3 years as get bored and I end up wanting to try something new to keep my interest. And yes I still do prefer a manual gearbox but with the GTI PP I had no option unfortunately as these were only available in Australia with a DSG.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast