Thread: VWwA Diesel FAQ

Users Country Flag

Question VWwA Diesel FAQ

Which Volkswagen models have Diesel Particulate Filters in them ?

Polo 6R = 1.6 TDI
    Golf VI Range = 1.6TDI 2.0 TDI
    Golf GT Sport 2.0 TDI
    Jetta MY09 onwards = 2.0 TDI
    Eos = 2.0 TDI
    Passat MY09 onwards = 2.0 TDI
    Passat CC = 2.0 TDI
    Tiguan MY08 onwards = 2.0 TDI (103kW)
    Touareg MY07 onwards = 2.5 TDI, V6 TDI & V10 TDI
    Caddy MY2011 = Range
    T5 Multivan = 2.5 TDI (optional)
    T5 MY2010 onwards = Range
    Amarok = Range
    Crafter = Range

Is BlueMotion or Clean TDI or BlueTDI coming to Australia ?

-Golf BlueMotion available from June 2011.

Which Volkswagen models have Common Rail TDI Technology ?

-Polo 6R - 1.6 TDI 66kW
    -Golf VI Range - 1.6 TDI 77kW & 2.0 TDI 103kW
    -Jetta MY09 onwards - 2.0 TDI 103kW
    -Beetle MY12 onwards
    -Eos MY09 onwards - 2.0 TDI 103kW
    -Passat MY09 - 2.0 TDI 103kW & 125kW
    -Tiguan - 2.0 TDI 103kW
    -Touareg - V6 TDI
    -Caddy Range MY2011 onwards - 1.6 TDI & 2.0TDI
    -T5 Range MY2010 onwards -Range
    -Crafter - Range
    -Amarok - Range

Whats the difference between Clean TDI, BlueTDI & BlueMotion ?

Clean TDI http://www.vwvortex.com/artman...shtml

This clean diesel Jetta meets the lowest emissions standards without the use of urea injection. Instead, a nitrogen oxide storage catalyst reduces NOx emissions by up to 90 percent. The engine management system in the Jetta changes operating modes periodically to treat the NOx that has been stored in the catalytic converter. A particulate filter in the exhaust system further reduces emissions.

BlueTDI http://www.vwvortex.com/artman...shtml

SCR is the usual international acronym for "Selective Catalytic Reduction". "Selective" refers to the fact that this catalytic converter has a very special task. Its purpose is to selectively convert the nitrogen oxide (NOx) exhaust components to nitrogen and water without generating any undesirable side products.

The nitrogen oxides are converted utilizing a synthetically produced, water-based urea solution, e.g. AdBlue, which is stored in an auxiliary tank on the Touareg BlueTDI. The substance, consisting of 32.5 percent urea, is continuously sprayed into the exhaust stream before the SCR catalytic converter. It is metered based on the mass flow of the exhaust. Engine management ensures precise regulation, based on information from a NOx sensor located after the SCR catalytic converter.

Atomized into a fine spray by a screen, the urea is transformed in the hot exhaust gas stream upstream of the catalytic converter. In the SCR catalytic converter this reacts with the nitrogen oxides and splits them, as described, into nitrogen and water. The water-based additive AdBlue is non-toxic, odorless and biodegradable.

AdBlue is consumed at an average rate of about 0.1 liter per 100 kilometers. Consumption and tank size are sized so that the AdBlue supply does not need to be replenished until the next scheduled service.

BlueMotion http://www.vwvortex.com/artman...shtml

Engine This new engine generally distinguishes itself through modifications in the areas charge changing (turbo charger with variable turbine geometry) and optimized exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) with an improved EGR cooler and electrically powered EGR valve.

The diesel particle filter (DPF) comes standard with the Polo BlueMotion and despite being considerably economic is very agile.

Transmission The second technical column for saving fuel is through the power train. For its use in the Polo BlueMotion, the five gear transmission received longer translations with cruising gear characteristic that lower the rotation level. Especially the gears three to five have twelve and 24 percent longer translations. Effect: From now on, the three-cylinder TDI works in its most efficient rotation area more often and longer. These modifications in the drive train area are supported by 14” alloy wheels, especially created for the Polo BlueMotion. The wheels come standard with optimized roll resistant tires.

Aerodynamics As a third supporting column an optimized aerodynamic helps lower the consumption. Especially the front part underwent a strong overhaul. A fluidic optimized front spoiler as well as new, except for a cross gap nearly closed radiator grille, make their way through the air stream with low air resistance (cw = 0,30, cw x A = 0,62). The aerodynamic was also improved in the rear. Here a modified heck spoiler and a roof ledge spoiler are used. All aerodynamic measures were conceptualized via calculations and test series in the wind tunnel and then transferred from the design into the components accordingly.
    Last edited by phaeton; 17-06-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Ben, can you check when the Touareg R5 got the DPI, it wasn't until '06 or '07 I think.. V6 has always had it and V10 since at least '05 and possibly always...
    ..Neil

Audi Q5 2.0 TDI
    sold and missed: '05 Touareg R5TDI
    SWMBO: '08 Golf Pacific TDI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    According to the literature I have it was not untill MY07 that all TDI Touaregs received DPF systems.

DPF was introduced when the price change was done pre-facelift.
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Thanks for this, good post.
    Worth noting that also Golf VI 1.6 TDI (or 77TDI) have the DPF installed in them & use common rail.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Updated
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Post with links to VW TDI information - well worth a look:
    TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - CR engine HPFP analysis
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)