Thread: TDI fuel line connector

TDI fuel line connector

I am in the process of a timing belt change on an early BKD in a Mk5 Golf, manufactured in late '05. Anyone who done this will know how little room there is so the instructions say to remove the two lines coming from the fuel filter. I know they are just pushed on in manufacture but how to remove. The small plastic sleeve at the bottom moves up & down & I have tried lifting it up while pulling on the line. The sleeve will rotate but there is no split to squeeze. Is a special tool needed?

vw fuel line connectors - Google Search
    Last edited by jets; 22-06-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    As you grab the largest diameter metal part of the connector there’s plastic square tab approx 3x3mm, push it in and pull the connector of the pipe.
    Last edited by Transporter; 22-06-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Just an update on removal. I looked for the plastic square tab & even though the factory manual says there is, on mine it isn't there.
    I showed Transporter & in no time, without a tool, he had it removed.[thanks Transporter] The secret is to push the fitting down slightly, to move the release mechanism away from the bead. At the same time push the plastic insert up into the coupling with your strong fingers & then pull the connector off.
    On reassembly of the coolant plastic tank I found I had the lines crossed over so I had to remove the couplings by myself & it works. I think there is a split tool to suit the 8mm line that could also be used.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels