Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repco/Ryco oil filters

Repco/Ryco oil filters

Anyone had/heard of problems with these oil filters? Just got a Repco one for my BKD and have just been told they can have issues collapsing and I should stick with OEM or Mann...

Heard similar things. But don't have any experience with them. Are they that much cheaper than oem?

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

It’s not that they’re cheaper - just easier to get. I wanted to service this weekend and repco were the only one that stocked a filter to fit in town. Otherwise it’s a 140km round trip just for a filter

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgetail84 View Post
    Anyone had/heard of problems with these oil filters? Just got a Repco one for my BKD and have just been told they can have issues collapsing and I should stick with OEM or Mann...
    Stick with the better ones I used to use Ryco years ago until I cut a Toyota one and a Ryco one apart . Never bought another Ryco
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgetail84 View Post
    It’s not that they’re cheaper - just easier to get. I wanted to service this weekend and repco were the only one that stocked a filter to fit in town. Otherwise it’s a 140km round trip just for a filter
    Put your oil change off until next weekend and order your filters from these guys: Oil Filter HU719/7x MANN-FILTER for Audi Skoda VW | Run Auto Parts They stock all the OEM brands like Mann, Hengst etc. The filter linked above is apparently the correct one for a 2007 Golf TDI. I found this place 3 or 4 years ago and have been buying all my filters from them since.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-05-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Good recommendation regarding run auto. I was also after a filter and they seem cheaper than spares box too Repco/Ryco oil filters

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Alright I’m sufficiently offput - going to return the repco today. My wife is now going to Bathurst tomorrow so will pick up a filter from VW, turns out it’s $10 cheaper than Repco trade, wtf...

Runauto look good but just done an order with eurorevolution he seems like a good bloke that knows what he’s talking about. Very good prices too
    Last edited by wedgetail84; 15-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I'm not one to bag products usually. But any dramas I have at work it's with Ryco . Mk6 GTIs in particular. The threaded section stays in the filter housing and the contents of the filter run down the alternator. Must be 75 percent of them do it.

Other Ryco inserts all look like they've been sucked in. They don't hold their shape. Not sure of its a bad design or they just don't flow? Mahle, Hengst, Mann .
    All cheaper than Ryco in my experience too.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I'm not one to bag products usually. But any dramas I have at work it's with Ryco . Mk6 GTIs in particular. The threaded section stays in the filter housing and the contents of the filter run down the alternator. Must be 75 percent of them do it.

Other Ryco inserts all look like they've been sucked in. They don't hold their shape. Not sure of its a bad design or they just don't flow? Mahle, Hengst, Mann .
    All cheaper than Ryco in my experience too.
    I had that happening as well, absolutely hate it. Plus, they’re made in China and I’m very picky now.

Users Country Flag

Nice prices there at RunAuto, what about their oil?
    Any good Gulf Formula GVX 5W-30 (5L) Gulf for BMW Audi VW | Run Auto Parts
    I've switched to CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 LL now as it is the only one I have found to not burn off, I never have to top it off between yearly changes.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast