Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Provent / catchcan fitment kits.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    I'm about to set up two in series in the Yeti, so my vote is "essential".
    Greg, I'll follow your progress with great interest - particularly where you find the room.
    Mine still has 2 years warranty to go so not inclined to fiddle yet.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    By then it's too late to bother mate. Oil ash buildup is what kills the DPF and the PCV vapour / EGR soot builds up in the manifold, ports and bakes onto intake valves. Using a inlet "sea foam" type flush, that is one specific to diesels, is one option, but in my mind just ends up in your DPF. No way a genuine Provent 200 in the stock PCV system could be seen as a warranty killer, for the manufacturer Mann and Hummell build a vast majority of the plastic air boxes, inlet, manifold and filtration systems on euro cars, and apart from sucking in dirty air via an open drain tap, I can't think of a way it could cause harm. It is CE marked etc etc, just watch out for the China fakes, they DO cause problems.

Still your call, given what I'm about to do to the Yetis DPF system, I think my local dealer won't be too worried about the Provents!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Where will you mount 2?.

Users Country Flag
    Mine's never used for trips less than 30kms - almost all 100+.
    Is that relevant to egr contaminant quantity and buildup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    Mine's never used for trips less than 30kms - almost all 100+.
    Is that relevant to egr contaminant quantity and buildup?
    Nope, it's total km buildup. Short trips can kill DP lifespan, oil / EGR buildup is a whole separate issue. It's basically like cholesterol for your intake, especially the inlet runners and ports.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 25-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    Where will you mount 2?.
    A fun Sat arvo project, done and working. See my tinker thread for details.

Provent / catchcan fitment kits.-img_0031_zpsqnneqgal-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Where can I find your 'tinker thread'?
    imhad to adapt a jam jar as a catch can (jar) to stop asymmetric coking of inlet valves on an Austin Kimberly.....late 70s, that's how old I am.

Overkill much? :-p nice work
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

I still need to put one on the Caddy.. Hoping the water/methanol kit helps to clean the inlet, though.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    By then it's too late to bother mate. Oil ash buildup is what kills the DPF and the PCV vapour / EGR soot builds up in the manifold, ports and bakes onto intake valves. Using a inlet "sea foam" type flush, that is one specific to diesels, is one option, but in my mind just ends up in your DPF. No way a genuine Provent 200 in the stock PCV system could be seen as a warranty killer, for the manufacturer Mann and Hummell build a vast majority of the plastic air boxes, inlet, manifold and filtration systems on euro cars, and apart from sucking in dirty air via an open drain tap, I can't think of a way it could cause harm. It is CE marked etc etc, just watch out for the China fakes, they DO cause problems.

Still your call, given what I'm about to do to the Yetis DPF system, I think my local dealer won't be too worried about the Provents!
    Hi Greg, I have never owned a passenger diesel powered car and have ticked Diesel power for my next car. Been driving Diesels in the VW Golf 7, Tiguan, Skoda Octavia, Mazda CX5 and Ford Mondeo TDI Wagon and some others.

So any Diesel on my list and in general would benefit from a Provent?

I previously owned a highly modified WRX and made my own CatchCan for it with self draining to the sump.

So the Provent operates on the same principal of removing excess oil in the engine ventilation system?
    Last edited by Polo GTEye N9; 09-03-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast