Thread: Noisy V6 light load

Noisy V6 light load

Just updated my 2015 4cyl dark label with a Highline 580 after 200k trouble free kms.
    Yes, lots more power but it has a very loud diesel rattle at light throttle. My 4cyl was never like that. It’s a definite diesel clatter, but very loud and it “turns off” as soon as you bury your foot.VW say it’s normal, but having 6 years in a 4cyl Amarok there was nothing like this. Engine is turbine smooth and quiet once underway, a bit too quiet actually, I miss the purr of the 4cyl under load.
    I now listen to every V6 I can taking off, including Touareg, Q7’s, but they are just turbine smooth, just a gravelly sound at most.
    Any ideas?

Mine is the same. V6 life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I have a Audi SQ5 with the V6 TDI and I cant say I have the same issue. I quite often drive with the windows down and the engine is smooth and quiet....most people dont even realise its a diesel until I tell them. Plenty of turbo whistle to be heard though.

My only issue with this car is transmission/prop shaft movement which puts a thump through the vehicle sometimes during light acceleration when changing from 1st to 2nd gear or deceleration.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Having owned the 2L for 5 years, the V6 is a lot louder. I need to make a recording for VW, so will add it here if I am able.
    Sounds very “truck like” but when it goes away, is smooth and quiet. I had a loan V6 once and didn’t notice it. Should have test driven it, but being a new vehicle, thought all would be good.

Now done 30,000km and the rattle is a lot better. Only does it 50 percent of the time now and i can usually make it go away by a couple of hits of full throttle in a high gear. VW still says its normal. The rattle coincides with bad throttle lag. When it doesn't rattle, i have almost instant throttle response and nice turbo growl. I'm thinking its a turbo/waste gate issue, but seems like it is fixing itself.
    The SQ5 is bi-turbo, so that may be the difference, Amarok is single i think.

It may have been the oil change i did at 30k, but the rattle and lag have almost completely gone now, 32k.
    I used Nulon VW spec 5w30. It will be interesting if it comes back after the scheduled service at 40k when they use Castrol.

Users Country Flag

The Nulon Euro Spec oil is supposed to be very good quality oil - im in the process of changing over to the Nulon from Penrite to give it a try myself.

As for the throttle lag, I know you say it seems to be improved for now, but if / when it returns, I suggest you look into a throttle controller which are about $300 and they significantly reduce the throttle lag.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler