Support VWWC

Thread: Limp Mode and Engine Light on 2010 2.0 Golf TDI

Limp Mode and Engine Light on 2010 2.0 Golf TDI

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker but first time poster from Australia here.

I recently purchased my little brother (a TDI Fanatic) a 2010 VW TDI 2.0 Turbo Diesel with about 160,000 miles on the clock.

Everything was fine but 48 hours after purchasing the car has gone into Limp Mode with the Check Engine Light and flashing Glow Plug Light appearing on the dashboard.

I purchased the car 3 days ago and it was running smoothly and just had the ABS replaced and a full servicing done (paperwork provided). Has my little brother done something wrong? He said he barely drove the car and it just went Limp all of a sudden.

Because the car isn’t under warranty anymore and I’m nowhere near a VW Dealership I will most likely take it to my local mechanic on the weekend.

Apologies in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong location.

Kind Regards,
    Milan.

Users Country Flag

Hi Milan

Welcome to watercooled

Generally these issues will best be resolved by first performing a diagnostics scan. Any fault that results in a dash light will be recorded.
    The best tool is VCDS, there may be someone nearby with this that is willing to help you out, Check here VAG-COM scanning, who can help

Your mechanic should have the tool also, if your chosen mechanic does not have the VW specific tool you should go elsewhere, a generic scanner is not going to give all the details.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.