Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Tinkering get Abominable.

Users Country Flag

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.

Well the next chapter begins, and this poor little truck is in for some surgery real soon.

First step is proving the sports DPF on a common rail TDI, but for now she's just getting a good run-in.

GT TDI going cheap!

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-p1010872_zps6ca6f4b3-jpg
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    You mentalist. Hhahhaha

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Well the next chapter begins, and this poor little truck is in for some surgery real soon.

First step is proving the sports DPF on a common rail TDI, but for now she's just getting a good run-in.

GT TDI going cheap!

LOVE my truck.
    its got a DTUK box but otherwise std.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the green side. #grin
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Well done Greg, but why the change??!!
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Why?

The GT has hit 200 thou, I travel about 40 thou a year, and it's time for a new work car. I've never been one to follow the norm, hell I bought the GT back in 2008 as buying a GTI was the go, and I wanted to be different. The Yeti is perfect, they are pretty uncommon, has that weird / quirky factor in spades, and ultimately nobody will expect one to go fast. I've had several people already come and ask me about it. Skoda also had the 2.8% finance / 5 year factory warranty deal, and Adelaide dealer was happy to drop $6k.

Anyway I spent some time on the weekend firstly going over it, then some time on Vag Com, and finally took it out and got it proper bogged in some serious clay. Boy that made a mess, the missus is still pissed about the driveway.

First thing that had to go was the bloody hill hold that you can't switch off. The manual says it only operates from 5% up, and I did notice on flats or downhill it doesn't operate. I was thinking I would have to find the angle sensor and tilt it a bit, but then found you can adjust the action in Vag Com under "ABS braking" and "adaption". It comes set on "normal", and you can adjust both slower or quicker, and on quicker it's only just there for a fraction as opposed to quite obvious. Much happier. I have access to an awesome tune writer now, and I'll see if he can ditch it totally when I tune it for the DPF.

Also hobbled the "brake wipe" that skims the brakes to keep them dry while the wipers are on, and dropped the ABS steering "recommendation". Guess I'll regret that if I put it into a tree. The front discs are smaller than a GTI, so that's a mod high on the list. Brakes are not as good as the GT, as you would expect with 200kgs more and smaller discs and calipers.

Well you do have to watch the approach angles, and the ground clearance is a bit less than I expected, but the Haldex V is awesome, did a stellar job in some seriously muddy conditions. Probably should have been a bit more cautious with a 5 day old car, but I bought this to actually use it off road, and well can I just say thanks to the random guy in the Patrol that came and towed me out. At least he was impressed I had a crack at some proper mud, and bogged it to the floorpan. Needs some HT tyres bigtime, but finding them in 17's has been impossible so far.

Whilst the DSG does a great job at making up for the lower power figure and greater weight, if ever a diesel needed a turbo upgrade, well this is the guy. From what I can tell the MK6 103 and 125 only differ in tune and turbo, so that will be the road to go. For sure an even bigger turbo would be even more fun, but on taking the GT for a burn yesterday, it has plenty enough go on a big tune, and for off road I want to keep the turbo lag low. Combined with the Shift Plus I have access to for the DSG torque limits, and a high flow DPF, well lets hope the Yeti can unsettle a few V8's like the GT can.

So tempted to keep the GT, is still such a great fun car to go for a fang in, especially that 3-4 shove off big roundabouts.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 23-12-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Next step, the obvious Provent 200. Was a much better install that the GT now I have a lot more idea of how it should work. Still a tricky thing to plumb nicely. While I had the airbox out, I pulled the leaf grid out of the bottom, and put a plastic flap on the back of the over radiator scoop. Will flap to let any decent amount of water through, yet should seal at the lights and under acceleration.

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0793_zps9a060fe9-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0794_zps89298d51-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Next step, the obvious Provent 200. Was a much better install that the GT now I have a lot more idea of how it should work. Still a tricky thing to plumb nicely. While I had the airbox out, I pulled the leaf grid out of the bottom, and put a plastic flap on the back of the over radiator scoop. Will flap to let any decent amount of water through, yet should seal at the lights and under acceleration.

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0793_zps9a060fe9-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0794_zps89298d51-jpg
    Hey Greg, I have some MK5 GTI brake calipers and brackets if you want to see if they fit up front. Won't be expensive .

Shame about the driveway, it wash off next time we have some rain.......

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    From memory, the differences between the 103 and 125 go a bit further than that... I think something to do with injectors, and I know its definitely a difference in compression ratio (18/16.5 103/125)
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag

I'd love to nail down exactly what the differences between the 103 and 125 are.
    Is there a difference in 'hardware' ?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast