Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think my DPF is almost full...

Users Country Flag

I think my DPF is almost full...

From what I have read, when the Particle Filter Carbon Mass number hits 60, it's all over.

The car runs fine. It regens about every 3-4 days, but no hiccups, loss of power, anything.

Anyone care to chime in?

Users Country Flag
    What's a DPF?
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Sorry, had to do that.

Your DPF is considered terminally clogged at 40 grams mate. The only reason you are still going is that the actual ash value is 54.43 -17.9 = 36.53g. You have 3 grams worth of ash holding left, and I reckon that's several thou at best.

Where the confusion kicks in is the soot levels force an active ( obvious ) regen at 40% loaded, this is normal. At 60% it throws up the "follow instructions" on the MFD and the DPF light, and won't quit till it successfully regens. At 80% the car goes into limp. This is all independent of the carbon, or ash, levels. People always get confused with % soot ( from diesel ) and grams of "carbon" which is actually white ash mainly from oil combustion.

You do have a very healthy correction factor, so for whatever reason, whatever you are doing, it is giving you quite an extended DPF lifespan. It is basically saying, for kms travelled, you are producing less soot than is expected mathematically. Well done!

"Particle Filter Load Coefficient" is soot. You can regen that off. You may still have a good 800km "soot" range in your DPF, yet it can still "clog" due to the oil ash reading. It does get confusing.

"Particle Filter Carbon Mass" is the level of oil ash, as mathematically calculated by kms travelled. You must be about 160k?? This is NOT able to be regenned off, and slowly reduces the capacity of your DPF and is what actually kills them. It's what I washed out over Christmas quite successfully.

"Carbon Mass Learned Value" is the actual oil ash levels as calculated by the fore and aft DPF pressure sensor, and this corrects the maths with some actual measurement. Ultimately it is this reading that over rides everything.

I'd suggest you start planning a DPF removal, cut the bum out, go nuts with the Gurney, weld it back up. You don't have time to hope I pull off the magic sports DPF. Or you can go to the naughty side obviously, and right now that option would include Custom Code, no question.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 04-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Right.

Well I'm at 165,000kms. Surely that's a record?

All I did was boot it when you can and drive on motorways. BP it's whole life and serviced on the interval.

Yeah sadly, I don't think I'll make it to Sports DPF.

My mechanic has experience now with cleaning them out. They pull them off, use the LiquiMoly DPF cleaner (dissolver and flushing liquids) and then they KArcher it for ages. No cutting required.

Looks like I know where next pay is going....

Thank for the advice Greg, much appreciated,

So, if I were to get a "Stage 1" tune after cleaning out my DPF, will it fill up much faster?

Users Country Flag
    It's the Karcher bit that does all the good, but that LiquiMoly product can't hurt. I do need to look into the active ingredients of that, how it breaks up caked in ash is beyond me. Soot, yeah, easy.....but inactive, final product ash....hmmmm.

Great there are non-cut options though, much easier. I'd be interested to see just how efficient it is though, and that channel 068 a few thou in after a clean would be very, very interesting. Please post that info up, as it will tell how effective the non cut flush actually was.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by benough View Post
    So, if I were to get a "Stage 1" tune after cleaning out my DPF, will it fill up much faster?
    Nope, most "DPF equipped" tunes are not maxed out to keep soot production in check. Stage 2, or a max one like mine, for sure. They are generally not available to the public for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    It's the Karcher bit that does all the good, but that LiquiMoly product can't hurt. I do need to look into the active ingredients of that, how it breaks up caked in ash is beyond me. Soot, yeah, easy.....but inactive, final product ash....hmmmm.

Great there are non-cut options though, much easier. I'd be interested to see just how efficient it is though, and that channel 068 a few thou in after a clean would be very, very interesting. Please post that info up, as it will tell how effective the non cut flush actually was.
    Yeah they said they did a Touraeg which was full, and "the value" was back to zero.

He said the only issue can be that if you don't clean them until they clog up/crap out, the cat can start disintegrating. See how it goes.

I was quoted $1k but I think that's more to do with then not having pulled the DPF out of a Touraeg before.

A rudimentary calculation of 36.5 g / 165 000 km equates to 0.22 g per 1000 km, which suggests that the estimated useful life of the DPF in your car is 180 000 km, but it may not be as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    A rudimentary calculation of 36.5 g / 165 000 km equates to 0.22 g per 1000 km, which suggests that the estimated useful life of the DPF in your car is 180 000 km, but it may not be as simple as that.
    mmm indicates around 30,000 km for me before consulting Gav(or greg if he pulls his finger out!)
    Current:12 Golf GTD, Mods on order -Bluefin Remap, Mods planned-plenty
    Former:08 GT Sport TDI DSG Bluefin, HPA SHS Coilovers,H&R Swaybars with Whiteline Adj Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast