Thread: Has anyone tried NULON Pro Strength Diesel Turbo Cleaner?

Users Country Flag

Has anyone tried NULON Pro Strength Diesel Turbo Cleaner?

Has anyone tried Pro-Strength Diesel Turbo Cleaner - Nulon Products Australia?

Wife was driving Golf Mk5 today when it threw up a turbo overboost error and went into limp mode. Turning engine off and then starting up seemed to reset the error and car drove like normal afterwards. A quick google tonight indicates that it is likely caused by the turbo intake variable vanes getting sticky with carbon build up.

I am not 100% convinced about this stuff, because if I look at the MSDS, it appears to be mostly kerosene with some additives (petroleum products) in it.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Wthout having any idea what the other chemicals are, kero is a great was of introducing strong chemicals in small amounts into a fuel system, because it burns away so cleanly. The other chemical (which I presume must be pretty strong in this case) can then do their job. Think of the kero as a carrier. I don’t know if the product works, but having a big kero percentage isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks doc,

Looking at the other additives and with my trusty friend Google:

"2-ethylhexyl nitrate" is a commonly used as a cetane improver.
    "naphthalene" is the traditional main ingredient in mothballs but I assume they are using it as a surfactant/detergent
    "solvent naphtha petroleum, heavy aromatic" is a solvent (as the name suggests)
    "naphtha petroleum, heavy, hydrotreated" is a solvent
    "2-ethylhexanol" is a low volatility solvent and also be used as an octane booster when reacted with nitric acid.
    "N,N'-salicylidene-1,2-diaminopropane" is used as a fuel additive as a metal deactivator in motor oils. It works by suppressing the catalytic activity of trace metals, which would lead to gums and solids forming.
    "diisooctyl aminomethyl tolyltriazole" which appears to be an anti-oxidant and corrosion inhibitor

I expect the tank with the additive will give the appearance of improved performance (cetane improver) but it will be interesting to see if it actually cleans the turbo. I do not think it would hurt to give it a go, it might help avoid a repeat of the problem.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

Users Country Flag
    I tried a different one a turbo/DPF cleaner, and I don't think it made any difference. I can still get the overboost when running the car at 110 on the freeway up hill, or in an overtaking or decent length harder acceleration manoevre. I bought myself an Engine Data Scan unit from 4WD Supacentre for about $75 and keep an eye on the MAP sensor for high boost pressure for a longer time, and either back off, or use the unit to clear the code on the fly, bringing the car back to life.

The other options for overboost are a vacuum leak, but I've had the car since January, done 14,000kms and it happens rarely enough that I can't be bothered spending any money to look for anything else. I just clear the code and keep driving.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers and thanks for sharing your experience. I am not going to expect a magic cure from the stuff but when I get some time this weekend I will give it a go and hopefully it might avoid it being more of a problem.

If it keeps occurring then I will get my mechanic to check the vacuum lines to the turbo and see if I can find a turbo guy to clean out the turbo.