Support VWWC

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotta love Tdi economy

Gotta love Tdi economy

Just done my first accurately measured tank of fuel in a year since I got my 1996 Tdi, I got 915 kms, and then I chickened out an bought $20 of fuel as the needle was down into the red. Anyone know how much further I could have got? Is there a low fuel light on the dash? I reckon I would have got 100kms if I hadn't chickened out!!

Users Country Flag
    Depends how u were driving it. Ive goten 550 from a tank before it was at 0 and ive also gotten 940 so its impossible to say.
    currrently... MY10 GTI | DSG | Candy White | Sunroof | 18's | BT | MDI
    previously... MY08 GT TDI | DSG | Reflex Silver | Sunroof

I got 940 and 991 Kms from two tankfulls on the weekend. I could have gotten to 1000Km easily, as I only put 71 and 74 litres into an 80 litre tank, and it wasn't a very economical drive (I had a lot of Kms to do in a short time, so was sitting on the posted limit most of the time).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    In my TDI GT Sport when the DTE says 0km I can do an extra 20k's. I am yet to do a full tank on the highway but I reckon 1000km is very possible

Our 95 is lucky to get to an empty tank at 800km's nowdays, needs it's injectors rebuilt I reckon, prolly the pump too. But we used to go over 1100km's on a tank, carry a jerry can in the boot with 10litres of diesel and find out how far you can get.
    88' Volvo 760GLE
    88' Volvo 740 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
    Also, drags are the worst form of motorsport. Who'd want a fast drag car for their street car?

I just got my 2008 Polo 1.9 TDI a few days ago and so far its done about 205km on the first quarter of the tank (11.25L). If it keeps going like that, that'll be 820km or 5.48L/100km.

Though this is my first ever tank so I assume I'll be able to better it in the future!

The most I've ever got out of a single tank is just over 1,200km. It was a return trip from Brisbane to Coffs with all the family on board (5) including luggage for the weekend. This was in my 2.0 TDi Golf (soon to be upgraded to 125kW TDi Passat wagon).

Makes me laugh whenever I hear people say it's not worth buying a diesel car because it costs an extra 20c/litre over unleaded (more like 10c/litre over premium - which most cars need nowadays anyway). They will also tell you how many years it will take you to recoup the extra $$s spent in the premium you paid for buying a diesel car too...but they never take into account the higher resale figure!!

Also, my experience has been that with diesel cars it is fairly easy to achieve (or better) the fuel economy figures stated by the manufacturer...but with petrol cars it never is.

Some pretty good figures there guys... recently managed to drive from Brisbane to Sydney on one tank of diesel. Stopping off at Murwillumbah, Coffs Harbour & Taree. Total Distance 980km's and about 100ml of diesel left in the tank. I admittedly dont travel EXACTLY to the speed limit at all times but none the less was very happy with that result. Geez I love diesels, never going back to this thing they call gasoline
    GOLF GT SPORT TDI SUNROOF, XENONS

Just had a weekend away and have got the best from the little mk3 than ever i have yet - at 1/3rd tank left (55l tank) im currenly on 590km...

my car isnt TDI though, its IDI, so there ya go I already have a 8% theoretical thermodynamic penalty..... who cares! its great.

any argument about diesels being inferior to petrols is rubbish, hehehe!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Okay been through my first ever full tank with my new 1.9 TDI (1300km on the clock), 90-95% city driving... 6.27L/100km.

So is that any good?
    2008 Volkswagen Polo 1.9 TDI

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast