Support VWWC

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Gotta love Tdi economy

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    On the occasions I've been in Victoria it didn't seem to matter if the rain was heavy or light, you still got standing water on the roads - especially those 1960s concrete roads
    Now I'm confused, I doubt if he was on cc other than on motorways and slowing down on them is not my idea of safety unless there is a specific problem.....there are enough truckies that get the 'red mist' as it is.

Users Country Flag
    This morning, I drove my 3/4 full Polo 120km down to Phillip Island, drove ~100km in track sessions (setting a new PB in the last session) and then drove back home with the MFD indicating 60km left in the tank
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Deleted as its been stated before
    Last edited by sn809; 21-03-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Been a while since I've posted and since this thread has been used.
    It's not really an economy post as such, but more an appreciation of the longevity and durability of the diesel.
    My beast just ticked over 400k last night.
    Bought it in 2006 model, bought in 2008 with just over 50k on it.
    Spent the next near on 10 years commuting from the Goldy to Brisbane, never missed a beat.
    Have since moved onto a job much closer to home where my weekly commute has dropped from 1000km to about 150km.
    Still just keeps on keeping on. Will keep it until it falls apart.
    Gotta love Tdi economy-golf-400k-jpg

2006 MY07 Golf 2.0 tdi
    The Highway trundler, will get 1200 km on a tank
    .......one day.

Hi Mofo, quite an achievement. Has it had many major parts replaced? Manual or auto?
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Cheers for that.
    I've got the manual. Didn't trust the DSG at the time, it was too new back then!
    Parts wise it's been excellent. Because the bulk of my driving was highway, and most of the time it was out of peak hour or against the traffic (shift worker), the wear and tear was negligible.
    Only had my first change of brake pads a year ago, been through about 4 sets of tyres (would get about 75k out of a set if I rotated them properly!), my next big service will be the 4th timing belt.
    That's about it. Had a sticky EGR flap once and also replaced the roof lining as that all came away.
    Got a couple of niggles now, the front passenger door is temperamental, sometimes it woun't open from the outside, sometimes it will.
    Each of the door linings are slowly starting to come away and the turbo is getting a bit whiny.
    All in all, I can't complain, it's served me very well.

2006 MY07 Golf 2.0 tdi
    The Highway trundler, will get 1200 km on a tank
    .......one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
    I've got the manual. Didn't trust the DSG at the time, it was too new back then!
    Good choice. I have only owned 2 autos in my nearly 60 years of driving & while the first one was in a '77 Golf that my wife owned for a few years & gave no trouble, our second experience was a T4 ex ambulance. After reading on the net the need to change the trans oil, I bought all the gear & found the filter was printed 2001 while the van was manufactured in 2000. I figured the gearbox had been exchanged early in its life [NSW Ambulance service never serviced the trans] & many years later suspected a worn bush in the torque converter at around 100,000km. I figured the exchange trans had done a considerable mileage.
    Over the years I have owned 2 Mercedes manuals a 356 & a 911 Porsche. Our Mk5 manual gearbox is considerably better than any of my past cars, & that includes our current Tiguan that is notchy by comparison.
    The good thing is my wife prefers the manual as well & enjoys the control & driving experience.
    Our late '05 build [06 model] has apart from tyres, a couple of batteries & rear brake pads [caliper on LHS stuck] been reliable.
    Only replacement parts were EGR valve stuck & outer driveshaft boot split. I am hoping to continue with this car until it is 20 years old or I can replace it with an electric one.
    Last edited by jets; 02-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334