Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erratic Speedo 2013 passat TDI

Erratic Speedo 2013 passat TDI

Gday all, purchased a 2013 passat TDI wagon yesterday, second hand with 65000 on the clock. All went fine for the first 100ks until the Speedo started to be unable to hold position. At cruise on the highway the digital display reads 100kph but the analouge display weaves up and down around 5kph. All other systems appear to work well. Is there anyone who can tell me where the connector for the transmission output speed sensor is or if this is an issue you have seen before. Cheers in advance. Matt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbtassie View Post
    Gday all, purchased a 2013 passat TDI wagon yesterday, second hand with 65000 on the clock. All went fine for the first 100ks until the Speedo started to be unable to hold position. At cruise on the highway the digital display reads 100kph but the analouge display weaves up and down around 5kph. All other systems appear to work well. Is there anyone who can tell me where the connector for the transmission output speed sensor is or if this is an issue you have seen before. Cheers in advance. Matt

The speed is read from the wheel speed sensors via the abs module to the ECU.
    I'm not sure if the speedo in the cluster reads the speed from the ecu or just reads it in parallel off the powertrain bus like the ECU.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    The speed is read from the wheel speed sensors via the abs module to the ECU.
    I'm not sure if the speedo in the cluster reads the speed from the ecu or just reads it in parallel off the powertrain bus like the ECU.

Mine has the same speed in the digital and analogue and both vary from the speed in the secret menu by approx 6 over at 100kph The secret menu speed is the same as my Tomtom GPS
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Digital speedo shows the wheel speed being read from the ABS wheel speed sensors.
    'Secret' menu in RNS510 shows GPS derived ground speed.
    Analogue dial is a stepper motor indicating the wheel speed. If this is moving around on a static speed then the stepper motor in the instrument cluster is likely on the way out.
    Luckily in the Passat the instrument cluster does NOT contain the immobilizer (unlike in the Golf, Tiguan etc) and as long the instrument cluster has been reset to 0kms (needs special tools) then a new cluster can be installed using only VCDS to set the coding and adapt the kms to match the ECU.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Mine has the same speed in the digital and analogue and both vary from the speed in the secret menu by approx 6 over at 100kph The secret menu speed is the same as my Tomtom GPS
    Mine seemed to be right until around an hour into our first trip( unless I wasn't paying attention before) it seems to be reading a few kph more on the analouge display, plus weaving a little. Just annoying as my 30 year old Nissan has a rock solid speedo, and my 6 year old Volkswagen is all over the place like an old cable speedo! I hope my 3 month warranty covers this because I think I will be back to the dealer Monday morning to have a chat, unless anyone has some inside info on how to fix it. I see another thread on the tdi forums where there is at least 10 other owners complaining of this issue

Digital speedo shows the wheel speed being read from the ABS wheel speed sensors.
    Analogue dial is a stepper motor indicating the wheel speed. If this is moving around on a static speed then the stepper motor in the instrument cluster is likely on the way out.
    Luckily in the Passat the instrument cluster does NOT contain the immobilizer (unlike in the Golf, Tiguan etc) and as long the instrument cluster has been reset to 0kms (needs special tools) then a new cluster can be installed using only VCDS to set the coding and adapt the kms to match the ECU.
    Thanks kamold. Is this a common issue that you have heard of? I am a diesel technician with a major earthmoving brand and the electronic side of things isn't scary, but I feel that 65000 on the clock is pretty poor for a Speedo failure. I know that the dealership will probably fight me on this, but hopefully not. Is Volkswagen Australia ok to deal with?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbtassie View Post
    Thanks kamold. Is this a common issue that you have heard of? I am a diesel technician with a major earthmoving brand and the electronic side of things isn't scary, but I feel that 65000 on the clock is pretty poor for a Speedo failure. I know that the dealership will probably fight me on this, but hopefully not. Is Volkswagen Australia ok to deal with?

I've never heard of it.
    Have done very low level work on instrument clusters.
    I would take it up with VW.
    Speedo stepper motor shouldn't fail after 65k.
    Let me know if don't have any luck.

Thanks mate, very much appreciated

Users Country Flag
    Have tried several times to correct the speedo using Rosstech but even though it says it accepts the change it doesnt alter anything. Have tried every setting in that menu. Have given up
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Hey mate, who’d you get the car off? I’ve found JMC really good to deal with.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast