Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: EGR should we all be more concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    Diesels are for towing type work; not for economy unless you 'get out' early and until the public finally works it out.....or they're legislated out of existence.
    Not for economy??. Get out of what early? Sorry Ryeman but I don't know what you are talking about.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Correct kaanage, no DPF in our 2005 1.9 TDI

"And ALL current diesels suffer with EGR / oil blowby buildup, stalling and burning out EGR motors, including Volvo, had a long chat with a disheartened XC70 bloke last week."
    It's like, if you want to have a diesel here is a big anchor, you have to tow it around and maintain it. Yet the dealers will say "what anchor".
    As you said
    False economy

Hi guys so for some reason nearly all if the Egr threads end in 2016. I have a passat B6 with BMR 125kw.

So anyway after installing the rcd 330, noticed a bit of hesitancy between the 1800 to 2800 range. Had a look at the Egr after removing the Turbo inlet at the front and as usual, lots of sludge there. Looked at a few videos and on the info here have got an M10 splice key to open the intake manifold and the egr circulation point and the egr valve. Lots of degreaser on hand and gloves. Will start tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Edit sorry M10 spline not splice
    Last edited by sn809; 13-05-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Hi guys so for some reason nearly all if the Egr threads end in 2016. I have a passat B6 with BMR 125kw.

So anyway after installing the rcd 330, noticed a bit of hesitancy between the 1800 to 2800 range. Had a look at the Egr after removing the Turbo inlet at the front and as usual, lots of sludge there. Looked at a few videos and on the info here have got an M10 splice key to open the intake manifold and the egr circulation point and the egr valve. Lots of degreaser on hand and gloves. Will start tomorrow. Wish me luck.
    Have fun - its a messy job. This was my car with 35,000km on it: P2006 error on 2015 Audi SQ5 TDI with 35,000km
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

It sure as hell is. Timed it well so have plenty of sup cheap degreaser in hand byt nothing really cuts it like the Liqui Moly engine intake decarb. The extended nozzle is really handy.

So I got everything open and am in the process of cleaning, but what abt the soot in the exhaust gas cause all that will just go right back in.

Also what about the engine block. There is crud on the engine side too. I am going to do an oil change later, is there something I can use to clean that up??

Any help will ve appreciated ��EGR should we all be more concerned-img_20200512_150517-jpgEGR should we all be more concerned-img_20200512_150433-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Try oven cleaner. Much better than petrol or degreaser.

If it's a ferrous metal then standard oven cleaner works wonders. As it is caustic based it will eat alloy.

Non-Odour Mr Muscle (there are 2 types) isn't caustic based and is fine with alloy.

Can't help with those specific items as I'm not sure where those holes lead to.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I bought these brushes which made the job easier and faster. Soak the brushes in some degreaser/petrol/LiquiMoly Debarb etc you are using to break down the crud and go for it.

The ones that attach to your drill are very handy (hopefully you have enough room to fit a drill in there) for cleaning out the intake ports.

Bear in mind the brushes will basically be ready to throw in the bin when you are finished.

ToolPRO Tube With Hex Shaft Brush Set - 6 Piece | Supercheap Auto

Cleaning Brush Set 3 Pc. Nylon, Brass and Steel - 301003 | Supercheap Auto
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Try oven cleaner. Much better than petrol or degreaser.
    Worth a try and you probably already have some at home. I have seen videos on Youtube etc where people have used oven cleaner to clean EGR's.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks guys, after reading up on the TDi forums, I am not feeling so confident about the inlet ports on the cylinder head. Should I just leave them be?

@lucas Are the Hex brushes for the engine inlet ports? How do I asses which valves as closed without taking off the cover

Hi, could someone please tell me if the butterfly valve in the intake manifold are normally open or closed, thanks.
    So car is starting up easier than before, but once I switch engine off, the manifold runner butterfly actuator makes a pop sound and comes back in place.

When I had cleaned up the manifold, two of the grommets keeping the butterfly valve strip in place were free and there seemed to be no way of fixing them. I just slotted them in, made sure there was no significant resistance and tightened the manifold.

Now I am concerned that I may have put in the butterfly rod wrongly. So currently the off position the valves are open, which doesnt make sense to me,
    Last edited by sn809; 15-05-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added info

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast