Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: EGR should we all be more concerned

Users Country Flag

mate a typical dipstick low to high is worth about a litre, so I'm looking for a drop of a fifth? I don't watch THAT closely! No doubt it's engine oil, but it's not a concern, nor anything I notice normally!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Some of that 200ml oil caught in the provent is offset by the unburned fuel, which goes in the engine sump and forms carbon particles. Also other contaminants in the oil will make up for such a small amount of oil lost.
    Oil consumption of 0.5L is nothing to worry about.
    I always let the used oil to cool down in the drain container before I tip it in the graduated waste container, if I want to check the oil consumption.

I'm not worried too much about my TDI engine failing before 150,000km because of the sludge in the inlet system.
    If the VW wants to maintain sale of the TDI engines than that sludge we see in the inlet manifold and the intercooler cannot have serious affect on the engine life (if used and serviced properly). Emission standards in country like USA require the emission system guarantee. Even drivers in Europe would have trouble to pass emission tests or do they all keep the car only for max 2 to 4 years?
    Last edited by Transporter; 19-03-2009 at 09:32 PM.

OK, this is just an update: I got my car back fixed with VWA contributing 50%. I spoke with head tech guy and according to him that black stuff in EGR system is a product of mostly unburned fuel and oil vapor. The car needs to be driven hard with go-go pedal flat to the floor 4-5 times a week when engine is hot, and that will remove those deposits. Flap motor failure wasn't caused by clogging EGR system and that doesn't have any negative impact to the engine. This car is more suited for freeway driving rather than slow crawling across traffic lights. He didn't recommend a catch can for this engine. I will be using S-mode more often for sure.
    2005 Golf V 2.0TDi DSG U/Grey S/roof - SOLD

Yes i would agree on the info above, im a firm believer in running an engine flat out under load a few times a week, nothing beats the vacuum created by it spining at its rev limit to suck everything in.
    Babying and engine will not make it last longer- most engine were occurs at start up.
    It will become sticky glazed up lazy engine. you will get carbon in behind the rings making them no longer a flexible seal rather just a solid ring,
    A ring of NoX deposits around your valve stems.

If your oils good and timing belts good you have nothing to worry about- these are why rev limiters/Governers are designed in for protection.
    Two good examples i have of this,

I have seen a friends (dads) diesel car literally Dump sparking balls of soot out onto the road when driven hard and it wasnt used to it, thats how caked it was and burned much cleaner forever after,

Last year i went home for xmas and had mums deligtfully basic 1991 1.3 12v toyota starlet to use for the couple of weeks,It just felt gummed up didnt feel like a free engine so Every night i took it to town i maxed it in the road to a balls out 170kmh, after night 2 it took way less kms to reach it. she took it to town the weekend and asked if id serviced it or done anything because she couldnt get over the way it seemed so willing to urge ahead without half the throttle previously required, she thought something was wrong it was to nippy! LOL

Verdict- Drive everything on good an hard !

Quote Originally Posted by twincamsham View Post
    Verdict- Drive everything on good an hard !
    Hear hear!!!

noob question time,
    is the big black pipe the EGR inlet?

Quote Originally Posted by chisler View Post
    noob question time,
    is the big black pipe the EGR inlet?
    hey mate,

nope, that's the pipe from the airbox, after the air filter and the MAF sensor (the little plug thing sticking up just to the right of your arrow).

here is a handy little pic that im sure is elsewhere in the forums:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/v...ay-vac-sol.jpg

basically, the egr feed pipe comes from the exhaust back into the intake manifold of the turbo- on my car (polo) the egr feed pipe isnt the easiest thing to see.

hope that helps.

Users Country Flag
    Looks like the new common rail to me.

Last edited by Greg Roles; 22-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

holy crap, awesome reply guys, thanks

yes thats a common rail, Skoda TDI RS.

just a few more questions:
    - The EGR pipe in my pic, is that going back to the turbo? (was hard to see, starting to get dark)
    - is it that EGR pipe, and everything it connects too, the pipe getting all the gunk?

I'm also wondering do manufacturers release more detailed manuals? or would I need to get myself a more generic type manual?

cheers.

Users Country Flag

EGR pipe comes off the end of the exhaust manifold, it actually pinches exhaust charge FROM the turbo. It goes via a water cooler, which is quite advanced, to drop the exhaust temps.

Everything from where that EGR pipe intersects the inlet onwards is going to end up crud covered. That nice shiney inlet manifold will be caked black inside in no time sadly. I found even the throttle flap in mine was black and oily at 30k's.

Erwin online, or Elsawin on e-bay have online manuals, see the manuals section for more info on these. I'd recommed a well planned day on Erwin if you want the best info, but there are no cheap / easy options at this stage manual wise.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast