Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Engine Runaway 1.6 TDI POLO

Users Country Flag

Diesel Engine Runaway 1.6 TDI POLO

Its been awhile since since i have posted, as my 2011 1.6 TDI POLO has been running amazingly until last night.....

And so the story beings...... I think i may have a RUNAWAY!

Last night whilst driving my 2011 1.6 TDi Polo, the car decided i was not longer in control and it wanted to continue revving its self (red line pinging) until i put the car in neutral, came to a screeching stop, and turned the ignition off!

To my amazement, the engine continued to run at a ridiculously high RPM after the ignition had been turned off, made 4-5 loud tick/bang noises, then decided to die. Not realising what had just happened, and being in a bit of shock, i got out of the car with the two friends i was with and proceeded to open the bonnet. To my amazement the engine looked fine, fluids were fine, oil was fine, everything looked in order. As i was only a few streets away from my home i decided to try and start the car again. Engine started a bit rough and the moment i tried to drive it, white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. So i turned the car off again and proceeded to push my Polo home.

Once home i decided to do a bit of research on what had just happened, as one of the friends with me had suggested it might be a RUNAWAY DIESEL! From what i can tell a Runaway Diesel is a rare occurrence where an oil leak (i.e. Turbo, Air intake via crankcase) turns into a feedback loop, constantly over fuelling the engine until it runs faster and faster, thus destroying the engine due to mechanical failure.

So my questions are:

Does my problem sound like a Diesel Runaway that i somehow stopped before it destroyed my engine?
    Could it just be a leaky Turbo?
    Or am i completely off par, an it might actually have something to do with the Electronic Accelerator?

My beloved Polo is on a tow-truck, on its way back to the dealer as we speak. Fingers crossed, what ever has happened is covered under my warranty!

Everyones help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Grizzy

Users Country Flag
    A friend (also with a diesel) regularly sends me links like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzf3ItkbOE

Users Country Flag
    If your 3 yr warranty is still active you shouldn't have a problem and in fact you should get a cutesy car to tide you over.
    At the moment I think the last thing VW needs is any more bad publicity so you should be fine.
    Keep us informed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Diesels can run away if there is a fuel supply, even if the ignition is turned off because there is no electrical ignition as such.

Check your oil level as it can get high and this can then produce enough vapour to keep the engine running. In fact, ANYTHING that allows a fuel source to enter the engine will keep a diesel running, so leaks from things like a failed head gasket where the failure allows oil from an oil gallery to the combustion chamber will be enough. The engine will not necessarily run smoothly, but it will run.

The best way to stop it is to put it in a high gear and try and stall the engine.
    --

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for all the input guys!

An Update from the Service Centre:

"The car needed an ECU update, and was over filled with oil"

I drove my Polo on a 4 hour round trip, to and from the Brisbane Airport, before everything happened that night.

With the oil being at a normal level before i left home, could it really have expanded that much? The dealer seems to think it could have something to do with too many cold starts and short trips, as they say to me every time i have a problem! Yet the car gets a good 3 hour trip to Brisbane almost every month, and a good 30 minute run to and from work ever day.

Is there something i am missing? Or am i being strung along?

Users Country Flag
    It depends on a number of things.

Oil will expand.

You can get some excess diesel finding its way past the piston rings but it would see a gradual rise in oil level.

The level must be checked on level ground, although a well designed sump should not see too great a variation. Also, you need to let the oil drain from the engine before checking the level.

Also, an incorrect dipstick can cause problems.
    --

If the dealer has said the oil was overfilled, I would be interested to know 'who filled it'.

It does sound like you had a runaway. There is an air throttle in the modern TDI's that serves several functions but I'm not sure if it is designed well enough to halt an engine runaway.

Either way, it seems like now you have a blown headgasket if there is white smoke (steam?) coming out of the exhaust.

I would be thinking engine rebuild/new engine.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    If the dealer has said the oil was overfilled, I would be interested to know 'who filled it'.

It does sound like you had a runaway. There is an air throttle in the modern TDI's that serves several functions but I'm not sure if it is designed well enough to halt an engine runaway.

Either way, it seems like now you have a blown headgasket if there is white smoke (steam?) coming out of the exhaust.

I would be thinking engine rebuild/new engine.
    Last time the oil was topped up was when it was last serviced. It was on the high side of the 'crosshatched' section of the dipstick, but i had been told that was ok.

Received my car back from the dealer today saying everything appeared ok, besides the high oil and a ECU upgrade. As for the smoke, i was told it had gotten better (which it had almost disappeared driving home) as it was only residual oil being burnt off?

My concern is in getting the car back in just under a day, has everything really been assessed?

Im also now freaking out about a potential diesel leak, into the sump, thus effectively diluting and increasing the amount of oil withheld.....

Users Country Flag
    Might be worth a look at my post Sump Level Rise in '10 103 TDI PD in this Diesel section. I drianed 8.5L of oil from my sump - long story short, VAG agreed to check under warranty and Preston Motors Skoda (now lost their dealer status!) determined it was an overfill by Richmond Skoda who had last serviced the car (which they'd emphatically denied when I questioned them).

If excessive oil in the sump was going to cause engine runaway, mine would have done it many times over - over a 15,000km period before the overfill was discovered it had plenty of very fast driving, loads of congested city running. I was worried it was sump leakdown, but not the case. Since last fill the level is static (12000km).

If I had a car under warranty and it did what yours did I would be a) very upset and b) very worried that damage had been caused somewhere. as long as you have the record of the issue and the work done, you should be covered for future possible probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    My concern is in getting the car back in just under a day, has everything really been assessed?
    It would seem unlikely.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast