Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diesel Engine Runaway 1.6 TDI POLO

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Finchley View Post
    Hi Transporter

They are all sensible and reasonable questions to ask. The dealership did not ask any of those questions when they did the diagnosis. The only thing they asked was 'did I put oil in the engine' to which my answer was no. The dealership has now given me photos of the engine and a 'self-diagnosis report' after the fault code was cleared. I have asked for the report before the fault code was cleared however, they will not provide it.

If you are willing to look at this information, please send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

I really just want to get to the bottom of what caused this incident. If we did something wrong or didn't do something we should have, we just need to know so we can close this out and move on. All we know now is that 'over-oiling' caused the diesel run on however we need to know how the car became over-oiled.
    Since you didn’t put any oil in the engine and driven reasonably long enough trips (16-20km one way), then the one would have to assume that you weren’t at the fault. The runaway happens often from the regeneration goes bad, faulty injector(s) or some other engine component (check engine light should come on).
    I’ve seen some TDIs after diesel gate software update with malfunctioning injectors where the car had to go back to the dealer to rectify the issue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Since you didn’t put any oil in the engine and driven reasonably long enough trips (16-20km one way), then the one would have to assume that you weren’t at the fault. The runaway happens often from the regeneration goes bad, faulty injector(s) or some other engine component (check engine light should come on).
    I’ve seen some TDIs after diesel gate software update with malfunctioning injectors where the car had to go back to the dealer to rectify the issue.
    Hi Transporter,

It’s been a while. Unfortunately VGA are unwilling to assist me so, I am now considering my options. I am thinking about having the car repaired with a used diesel engine. However, is it possible that the runaway was caused by a software fault and that it may run away again, even with a different engine?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
    Finchley

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Finchley View Post
    Hi Transporter,

It’s been a while. Unfortunately VGA are unwilling to assist me so, I am now considering my options. I am thinking about having the car repaired with a used diesel engine. However, is it possible that the runaway was caused by a software fault and that it may run away again, even with a different engine?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
    Finchley
    Sure, anything is possible. If fitting another engine, you could get the injectors tested to make sure that they don’t leak.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123