Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost Leak 2007 2.0 TDI Jetta

Users Country Flag

Boost Leak 2007 2.0 TDI Jetta

Hello brains trust,

My Jetta has 152,000 kms on it, and has just developed an audible boost leak. Still goes fine, just hisses once the MAP gets over about 170 on my OBD reader. On the weekend, I pulled off the two hoses to the bottom of the intercooler and cleaned the O-rings and metal connectors. There was a fair bit of oily/dirty gunk on the outside of the intercooler connections. I've wiped this off and cleaned the plastic under engine tray to see about new gunk. Since cleaning these bits, it seems to happen even more. All the clips and connectors seemed to be in good condition. I cleaned the top accessible end of the pipe into the intake manifold also.

Is it likely to be leaking around the O rings? Do any of the hard plastic pipes crack? Is it likely to be the intercooler itself?

I get overboost limp if I bring on the boost at over 2000 rpm for an extended time, such as climbing hills at 110km/h on the freeway.

I suppose that at some stage, if the leak gets bad enough, the car won't drive real well?

Many thanks,

Richard
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Users Country Flag
    It could be a hairline split in the hose or intercooler, a pin hole in the hose or intercooler, the o-rings worn etc etc - can you do a DIY smoke test to see if you can see where it is leaking?

If its leaking worse after removal and cleaning then its entirely possible that the oil and gunk was actually helping to block the leak somewhat and now that it has been cleaned, the leak is now worse.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    We had a similar issue with our Mk 5 Golf 2.0 TDI last year. The rubber intercooler hose pipe (from Lucas_R's link) developed a split. Replaced and all good.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It would be nice if I could see where and which pipe was the problem. A smoke test sounds great, but how do you do that? And how to get it up to the pressure to get it leaking, or is it more that I can only hear it when the pressure is up?

Thanks for your input
    Richard

Users Country Flag
    I do not think my mechanic needed smoke to see the problem with our one. I believe he could see the split with a torch. They had the car up on a hoist and one of the other mechanics rev the engine hard, it sounded like we had fitted a pop-off valve.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI

So, yesterday I was back under the car, and found that my leak was the elbow pipe directly off the turbo. I could just see the fibres poking out. So, I pulled it out, and 'reinforced' it with some duct tape, as I am having trouble finding one locally at a wreckers. I did ring VW to be told some $380!!

This morning's run to work had about 18km of no whoosh sound, but then I'm guessing the pressure made its way under some of the tape, and I now have a lovely squealing noise to go with the leak. I might need more tape! I didn't get any photo of the split or the tape, I was running out of time.

Boost Leak 2007 2.0 TDI Jetta-turbo-pipe-1-jpg
    Richard

Users Country Flag
    Unfortunately, duct tape is not going to be able to hold against the pressure for extended periods.

See if you can get the part number from the dealer and then find the part on ebay for half the price.

I’ve got the part number in a photo, but I’m using the tape to extend the time before I find one other than from an overseas seller.

Users Country Flag

Good plan, good luck I hope the tape holds out for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast