Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery life of TDI

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)

Battery life of TDI

Wondering what you guys are getting out of Battery life.

Have current 2007 and still seems to start fine.

1991 (bought new) Rodeo usually get 8 years out of battery (on third now)

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2007 TDI, not sure if the battery has been replaced, but I've been having trouble with it recently. Would be interested to see what people say.
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Build Thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-85147.html

Users Country Flag
    Don't have a TDI so not an apples to apples comparison, but my 2007 petrol Golf started to crank a bit weakly on its original Varta battery about 3 months ago so I replaced it. Pretty good life I think considering they are apparently designed for 3-5 years use.

So a diesel (if it has the same battery) should get a bit more out of them I suppose.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Changed mine late last year...battery was 5 years old...no problems...TDIs have a higher CCA rating than the petrol ones so be wary when making a purchase. People kept selling me ones for the normal petrol ones.

Thing is with batteries..they don't like very hot or very cold conditions and depends on how the vehicles is stored/used.

Users Country Flag
    My 2007 Multivan battery went belly up a couple of months back while I had it off the road fitting a towbar.

Anywhere from 3-7 years is typical life and not to worry if its anywhere in there really.

Lots of things affect battery life, but stress (lots of cranking or having it go completely flat) definitely shorten the life.

A misused battery will not last all that long.

Diesels are typically quite hard on batteries as the cranking power is much higher due to the much higher compression ratio. The batteries are often physically larger and rated higher, but the physics of it mean that you have a more expensive, higher rated battery of similar size in a diesel passenger car compared to its petrol powered sister, and inevitably the battery doesn't last quite as long.
    Last edited by gldgti; 29-04-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Would an overnight trickle charge every month or even every fortnight help with lifespan?

I was thinking of getting a Ctek MXS 5.0 after my Polo battery was totally dead on return from a 2 week holiday
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    Would an overnight trickle charge every month or even every fortnight help with lifespan?

I was thinking of getting a Ctek MXS 5.0 after my Polo battery was totally dead on return from a 2 week holiday
    probably depends on usage. If you only take the car out once a week, it might help. If you drive it every day, probably not.

Even just the charge voltage from the alternator can have a big effect.

(Optimum charging voltage is between 13.6 and 14.2V for a lead acid 12V car battery)
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Just replaced the battery in my 2007 GT so managed to get 7 years out of it.
    2007 Black Magic VW Golf GT TDi, Latte Leather, Sunroof, Bluefin Superchip, 18" Detroits, APR lower torque arm insert, APR Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake system, GTi sideskirts & front lip, R32 Rear Bar, GTi Steering wheel, RNS-510,Infinity BassLink Subwoofer,stubby antenna, R8 Oil Cap, Golf R front calipers, slotted front rotors, ceramic brake pads, LITEC LED tail-lights, Dension Gateway Five, Rear Emblem Reverse Camera, H&R Ultralow coil-overs, Badge-less front grille

Just changed the battery in our 2008 Golf 2.0 TDI a month after its 6th birthday.
    Managed to find the same battery it came with (Varta) for a similar price as the other common brands we have here which all seem to be made in China these days.
    I'll be happy if I get another 5-6 years out of this one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast