Support VWWC

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke oil (2SO) as an additive to diesel fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    <yetiownersclub.co.uk> has v interesting DPF/2SO discussion in the skoda yeti owners - technical section by 'chocki'
    with lots of technical links.
    It's a current 2015 discussion and for those 'into' 2SO worth going to, I'd think.
    maybe someone can do a link ?.
    DPF Information - Skoda Yeti Forums - Page 1

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalSin View Post
    Just beat me to it.

It is a great read, but make sure you put away some time before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam View Post
    Just beat me to it.

It is a great read, but make sure you put away some time before starting.
    I read it before I posted the link and then spent more time reading some of the Yeti stuff. Hopefully i've solved the rattle as a result.

All very positive apart from the usual negative posts towards the end. I'm sure they don't read it all, they certainly don't try it and their thoughts would be far more valid if they came from a more informed, constructive viewpoint.

It was very interesting in regards to extending the DPF life and possible combustion changes. Great when you get someone who is so enthusiastic who gets right into it.

I would have to say plausible. I have no information to prove or disprove that hypothesis but it definitely sounds promising. Haha.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    Jesus, just go for it, it's a tiny percentage at 200ml a tank. I can pretty much guarantee your engine, and DPF is ingesting a lot more oil via the PCV system, and more lubricant in the high pressure common rail pump and injectors can only be a good thing. Morey's lists their product as Hydrocarbon distillate in their MSDS, and it sure looks and feels like two stroke oil to me.

As for your theory Kaarnage, it sounds fine, but too much postulating and not enough action in this thread!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    As for your theory Kaarnage, it sounds fine, but too much postulating and not enough action in this thread!
    So what do you propose for more action?

I don't have access to a Ricardo Proteus to do the full combustion testing and I don't have the machinery to pull down my engine for component inspection.

Or are you referring to the big turbo and injectors that are still sitting in my shed?
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    OK I reread that, and it would only be true IF the two stroke had a higher flash point than standard diesel, like Methanol does. Methanol does indeed help a better burn of a diesel charge as it burns after the diesel has ignited, and combustion temps rise, helping burn leftover fuel to a degree. You'd have to try and find out a flash point for the two stroke in question vs the local diesel.

I thought the whole point was lubrication, and if it so happens it drops the soot level, then that's only a plus. Impossible to know with a DPF in place, but the older diesel boys swear by it, and it could just be that it cleans up their otherwise dirty injectors, dropping obvious soot.

I run Moreys smoke killer, as it's not expensive, purely for lube, and the weak point of my CR is the fuel pump from what I've read.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Here's the MSDS of a cheap TCW-3 which is the minimum grade of 2 stroke oil that gets discussed
    http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/MSDS%2...ke%20TCW-3.pdf

The listed flash point is > 200 degrees Celcius which seems rather high. Taken as Fahrenheit, it's around 100degrees Celcius which is consistent with other TCW-3 MSDS that I've come across like these
    https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF
    MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource
    Mobil Outboard Plus

JASO FB, FC, FD all have 70 degrees Celcius as the certification requirement for the flash point

I would think almost all 2 stroke oils would meet the criteria that you have specified since the common flash point requirement for diesel is > 52 degrees Celcius.

The autoignition temperature would also needed to be investigated, I guess.

I feel the lubrication of 2 stroke oil is a given since that it the primary purpose of it in more demanding enviroments than the fuel system of diesel engines. Given this, I think the other benefits that many people have experienced is what is of greater interest.
    Last edited by kaanage; 23-02-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: tcw-3 flash point correction
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    OK I reread that, and it would only be true IF the two stroke had a higher flash point than standard diesel, like Methanol does. Methanol does indeed help a better burn of a diesel charge as it burns after the diesel has ignited, and combustion temps rise, helping burn leftover fuel to a degree. You'd have to try and find out a flash point for the two stroke in question vs the local diesel.

I thought the whole point was lubrication, and if it so happens it drops the soot level, then that's only a plus. Impossible to know with a DPF in place, but the older diesel boys swear by it, and it could just be that it cleans up their otherwise dirty injectors, dropping obvious soot.

I run Moreys smoke killer, as it's not expensive, purely for lube, and the weak point of my CR is the fuel pump from what I've read.

Flash point of BP Ultimate 61.5C min 66C typical

[url=http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/ultimate-fuels/BP_Ultimate_Diesel.pdf]

Flash point of Castrol Activ 2T 86C

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C09BA64774EB9DDB80257D1100826772/$File/Castrol_Activ_2T_4100595_2013_10.pdf
    Last edited by Amalgam; 23-02-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Users Country Flag

Deleted.

Double posting.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast