Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 TDI - how much boost ?

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Easiest way is to drill a hole into one of the hard plastic boost lines and epoxy (the good grey stuff) a plastic fitting into the hole.
    Six months ago I fitted a Redarc dual boost/EGT gauge to my 2.0 TDI Rok by drilling and tapping a 1/8" BSP thread into the hard plastic tubbing coming from the intercooler prior to the inlet manifold.

The gauge has digital boost and electronic analogue EGT readings and you can personally set up its internal beeper and/or light flashes at any pre determined warning points.

My boost warning goes off at 30 psi
    which can be achieved quite easily and at surprisingly low RPM.

My overall results are very similar to post #8 with the major difference being the Rok is bi-turbo and fixed vain.

If you reckon these boost pressures are high then google Land Rovers new engine as it makes something like 54 psi. 2.0 TDI - how much boost ?

Cheers dave

Easiest way is to drill a hole into one of the hard plastic boost lines and epoxy (the good grey stuff) a plastic fitting into the hole.
    Tried to PM you but your inbox is full,
    I was wondering if you could elaborate on this "Easiest way is to drill a hole into one of the hard plastic boost lines and epoxy (the good grey stuff) a plastic fitting into the hole."

I am not really sure which pipe to plug into, I don't really know my way around the engine bay that well.

I have a mk5 GT TDI, my current air intake actually has a small vacuum tube coming out of it too, would it be bad to just piggy back that?

Or could you point out where I need to tap into

Thanks mate

Users Country Flag
    May I suggest a solution to consider? Get a cheap bluetooth OBDII interface from ebay. Download the Torque app from iTunes or Google Play and set it up on your smartphone or if you want to go fancy pick up an iPad mini or 7inch Android tablet and mount it on your dash.

The Torque app will display the turbo boost (in digital or gauge form) amongst a host of other data you can get from the ECU and the display can be customised on the go (after you have stopped the vehicle in a safe location ). It will save you trying to learn your way around the engine bay with a drill, as it has for me.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by feenix74 View Post
    May I suggest a solution to consider? Get a cheap bluetooth OBDII interface from ebay. Download the Torque app from iTunes or Google Play and set it up on your smartphone or if you want to go fancy pick up an iPad mini or 7inch Android tablet and mount it on your dash.

The Torque app will display the turbo boost (in digital or gauge form) amongst a host of other data you can get from the ECU and the display can be customised on the go (after you have stopped the vehicle in a safe location ). It will save you trying to learn your way around the engine bay with a drill, as it has for me.
    If the sedans are the same as Amaroks then you can't get a reading above 22.something psi out of the OBD11 port as it to do with computer talk that is above my pay grade.

I could find out more detail if required though.

Cheers dave

Quote Originally Posted by feenix74 View Post

I think I just prefer the charm of the analog gauge

is there something like this for the 2.0 TDI's?
    ECS - 003621ECS01A - 2.0T Billet Boost Tap Assembly

The issue with the OBDII reading is simply that the factory MAP sensor is usually 2.5Bar absolute.... which equates to about 22.5psi gauge pressure.

Hence you wont see a number higher than that on the e-gauge, even though a stock tune car will spike above that pressure anyway.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    I learn something new everyday. Is there an aftermarket MAP sensor that will go higher than 2.5 bar?

Good luck weonarok with learning your way around the engine bay with a drill.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Is there a reason you guys used plastic barbs? I assume that's what you meant by a plastic fitting.

Users Country Flag

The issue with the OBDII reading is simply that the factory MAP sensor is usually 2.5Bar absolute.... which equates to about 22.5psi gauge pressure.

Hence you wont see a number higher than that on the e-gauge, even though a stock tune car will spike above that pressure anyway.
    How does it determine overboost then? I know my OBD reads to 255, but my car overboosts due to stuck vanes.
    Richard
    2007 Black Jetta 103TDI Manual, 18s, body kit + rear spoiler
    2001 Landcruiser FZJ105 Manual - The petrol guzzler!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast