Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 TDI - how much boost ?

Quote Originally Posted by TDI DSG View Post
    how much boost these current 2.0 engines are running?
    not enough!!!

most (well made) turbo diesel engines are good for up to about 30psi on relatively stock set ups. With a few mods, stronger block etc; sky's the limit.

Acutally the sky is probably a little bit too much boost.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

well, the sky (our atmosphere) gives us a slightly variable but usually consistent 14.7 psi above the vacuum of space, so the sky is really not the limit afterall...

mikinoz, thats great that you've answered the boost question for us.

my 1.9 IDI mk3 runs 12psi standard. this is enough to make it a real joy to drive, but its certainly inside the "infinite engine life " bracket. i would like to turn the boost up a bit on mine (running a k14 i think) but i think i'll wait until i have a bigger exhaust and an intercooler - the risk with running high boost is high engine temps, melting pistons etc. even with the stock 12psi on my 1.9, a full throttle full boost whack for about 15 seconds will increase the engine temp noticeably.

i suspect that the new tdi's with VNT turbo's are managed electronically to limit the boost/fuel if EGT's (exhaust gas temps) get high.

william, a small turbo typically reduces boost lag so that the engine is more driveable. large turbo's are laggy, not small ones. the disadvantage of a small turbo is at high rev's when the compressor efficiency becomes low and temperatures go up without really increasing the boost. hence turbo matching...

the VNT turbo is designed to get aorund this by allowing the turbo to assemble boost more efficiently at low and high rpm, hence having a broader range of efficient operation
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Hey Mikinoz

What boost gauge are you running. I'm Looking at putting one in my TDI but its so hard to decide what gauge to go with and where to mount it.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    Kids/Life etc.

So much psi is safe?

Users Country Flag
    i run 28psi on my gtb1756vk, might be going up to 30/32 soon, peter from 3bar tuning in melbourne runs up to 40psi in his awd tdi jetta using a gtb2060vklr turbo
    07 Jetta Tdi, DSG(tuned),Gtb1756vk turbo, 3inch dump, Malone tune, 4bar map, EGR+EGR Cooler delete, S3 Intercooler, Hard pipe kit, Gti rear sway bar, 18x8 Enkeii gtc01, nitto tyres, Rear Lip Spoiler, Votex Front Lip, Slotted and drilled rear Discs, Neuspeed springs, LED interior lights, Blackened window trims, Carbon covered pillars, Gti lower front Grill, canbus update, rcd510, tinted indicators, gti paddle shift wheel, soon to have Votex Side Skirts, Coilovers, Porsche Brakes,8mm wheel spacers, Alloy control arms, GTI front sway bar, S3 bushings....

Quote Originally Posted by bgcarter1 View Post
    i run 28psi on my gtb1756vk, might be going up to 30/32 soon, peter from 3bar tuning in melbourne runs up to 40psi in his awd tdi jetta using a gtb2060vklr turbo
    Whilst this thread is active, what boost gauges are you guys running and how did you tap them?

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    Whilst this thread is active, what boost gauges are you guys running and how did you tap them?
    Anyone know this?

Really looking to tap into my mk5 gt tdi.

Easiest way is to drill a hole into one of the hard plastic boost lines and epoxy (the good grey stuff) a plastic fitting into the hole.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast