Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

Users Country Flag

2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

Everyone has been talking about the APR Carbonio for the TDI, so i have been keeping an eye open but they either seem too expensive or I can't import then from the US because you need to use an Australian Agent. Bull. Anyway, with the poor Aussie dollar it hasn't helped.

I finish my exams this week, so i have a few plans that include cleaning the EGR, oil change, hopefully installing the cold air intake and maybe installing ProVent CCV Filter. I feel they are all closely related.

Anyway, what i do want to know is, any opinions on the below link, it is relatively inexpensive for what looks like the same function-ability of the APR Carbonio.

Raid HP 1 9 TDI VW Golf V Induction Intake AIR Filter KIT Made IN Germany | eBay

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a decent product out there or where i could get my hands on a new or used APR intake, let me know!

Thanks in advance.
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Build Thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-85147.html

Users Country Flag

I have the carbonio I take in my 2.0 TDI and I love it... Can get wicked flutters if you time it correctly. Catch up soon and ill show you
    Hennessy Auto Styling MK5 TDI [SIZE=3]|| United Grey || Sunroof & Leather || 18x8.5 +45 Rotiform BLQ and 17x8 17x9 +39 Stern Reverse Face II || K Sport Deluxe Air Suspension || After Market OEM Style Body Kit and Accessories!
    Hennessy Auto Styling - Bumpers, Spoilers, Carbon, Lips and more.

Users Country Flag

Hennessy Auto Styling MK5 TDI [SIZE=3]|| United Grey || Sunroof & Leather || 18x8.5 +45 Rotiform BLQ and 17x8 17x9 +39 Stern Reverse Face II || K Sport Deluxe Air Suspension || After Market OEM Style Body Kit and Accessories!
    Hennessy Auto Styling - Bumpers, Spoilers, Carbon, Lips and more.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah man i'm looking forward to it!
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Users Country Flag
    I bought my Carbonio off eBay from the US for like $380 delivered... Compared to the 2.0TSI one which you can get locally for around... $500!!
    The TDI intake will fit on the TSI but the TSI intake WON'T fit on the TDI. The TDI has a breather hose coming off the intake, pre-MAF.

lhennesy is correct - if you put your foot down, spool up and take it off at around 2,500rpm with some load on the engine, it sounds sooo sexy.
    Also, you get an additional 200cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air passing over the MAF at the most extreme circumstance - around 1,350cfm @ 4,800rpm full boost on load, vs 1,050cfm same scenario.
    The air filters are washable, but you can also get the square pod filter from SuperCheap Auto and fit that in there as well - in case you damage your old one, you don't have to go far for a replacement.

Easily the easiest and best $380 I've spent on my car so far.
    Can't say much for fuel consumption - its about the same. (Calculated with Fuelly over multiple thousand k's)
    I also have no experience with any other brands of CAI, but with how easy the APR one was to install I don't think I'd actually bother... The APR one is also probably the best bet for sexy sexy induction noise, as well.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried BMC?

Mine's well built and the induction noise RULES. Plus it's easy to connect up to the stock mounts

Otherwise Volkswagen Racing do a neat one.

Carbon Fibre isn't required.

Users Country Flag
    Protip, the Carbonio is another awful, waste of money product from APR.
    It does nothing.

Do not waste your money on whatever extortionate price they are asking for what is essentially a cosmetic piece.

Users Country Flag
    What he said.

I got mine secondhand for $200

In terms of performance, it revs and spools easier down low, so good for car parks, hill starts, but other than the noise, that's all they do.

Users Country Flag
    There's little to no power in an intake on a TDI, without other mods to take advantage of it. So they all basically do the same thing, and that is sound different. That German one is nice in that it has a clear lid to let you easily see when it is dirty, but whatever you buy, make sure it is fully sealed from the engine bay air, otherwise you just went backwards.

aFe make a nice box in my opinion, but if I was doing it all over again I would make the Tarmac Engineering Volante one fit, it just ticks every box in my opinion, but would take a little modding to fit up the pipework.

You are actually best to fit a high flow filter if you want a bit of feel good, and pull out the bottom leaf filter, and the MAF grid if you are feeling adventurous. From there the only difference is induction noise, find a secondhand GTI one and adapt it to fit.

You will get actual power out of fitting a larger dump pipe instead, as you don't have a DPF.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

So even if I remove the MAF grid which is what I planned on doing, there is no improvement?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast