Thread: TDI engines in different vag platforms

Question TDI engines in different vag platforms

Few questions to those experts in the Vw diesel world...

1. Is the Polo, Golf GTD or Passat CC's Diesel engine the same as the 2010 Tiguan TDI? I was told that its the same, but I am curious why the GTD or Passat has a higher stock output?
    2. Just solely based on an ECU tune, how much power can the Polo, GTD or Passat generate?
    3. Is the higher stock output of the Polo, GTD and Passat over the diesel Tiguan due to 'less restrictive' hardware like exhaust, etc?
    4. Is the DPF in the Polo, GTD or Passat the same as the one used in the Tiguan? Or is it somewhat less restrictive?

Thanks for your insights and input!

Users Country Flag
    The fuel system used is the same; it's a common rail diesel (CRD), the engines could have a different cc capacity and some changes to its internals to handle more torque. Again the DPF in them will be slightly different, working on the same principal. The sensors could be different between the variants, so it all need to be considered when tuning them. The hardware swap, if you think taking less restrictive DPF and installing it in your Tig then some research needs to be done to make sure it will match all the sensors and additional HW.
    If that's what you asking.

Polo does not have 2.0TDI. Previous Polo has 1.9 TDI PD (Pump Duese - unit injector). Current Polo has 1.6 TDI.

I think the 2.0 TDI Common rail with DPF engines on various VAG vehicles are very similar. I presume that the higher output engines have different engine maps as well as possible changes to:
    a. intake
    b. intercooler
    c. turbo
    d. exhaust

Suggest reading the VAG Self Study Program on the 2.0 CRD engine via Erwin to start with. I think the precise answer is to look at detailed engine information on Erwin, for vehicles that are specified with both the higher and lower output 2.0TDI - eg Golf, Passat, various Audis. (Have been intendinging to explore this myself for curiosity one day....)

Certainly the various chip companies can turn a 103TDI into a higher output one with better economy too - mostly by increasing turbo boost. Additional changes to engine hardware on VAG engines are presumably designed to improve longevity of such higher output engine.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

TDI engines in different vag platforms

Thanks guys for your input. Yes Transporter, that's exactly what I'm asking. Always wondered whether the engines in various VW can come up with different stock power output.

Where can I find the Erwin notes?

Hmmmm besides the DPF and engine itself, I wonder if the turbo is different as well like you pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by HaywireTig View Post
    Where can I find the Erwin notes?
    Wikipedia shows all similar engines and cars
    List of Volkswagen Group diesel engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check links on this page.
    TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - CR engine HPFP analysis

The Audi Chronicle is a good summary of some of the technology and timelines.
    Audi Deutschland

Erwin - have to pay. Somewhere people have written how to be able to the save the PDFs, rather than being restricted to viewing for a limited time or a load of printing. The one day licence is the best option - download all you need on a big day.
    https://erwin.volkswagen.com/erwin/showHome.do

The main way to get more power/torque is a chip remap. Check out any of the chip tuning companies to see.
    Eg Oettinger Sportsystems GmbH -Â*Products

You can see on the Oettinger site a 103kW Tig CBAB or CBFB engine. 125kW CBBB or CFGB. So can go fishing for vehicles and transmissions with the higher output to see if the existing tranny is good enough.

There is lots of information about on this site on various chips.
    Tuning / performance update

As I said the official higher output VAG engines probably have more modifications in aid of longevity, which may or may not be worthwhile if they can be bought and retrofitted, since the price would be hefty. I recall reading some time ago about piston changes. Beyond engines, VAG vehicles with higher output may have different gearboxes and brakes. The really keen can go fishing in the Erwin parts lists to see all the different bits in cars with higher output engines, though you might need a VIN??? for such vehicle. Conversely, you can if any of the existing parts are good enough.
    Last edited by bluey; 20-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)