Support VWWC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

What Uni bud and state?
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Build Thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-85147.html

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    What Uni bud and state?
    UQ Boy will I be glad when i'm finished, still got 2 semesters left after this one, ah!

Anyways, my rational for CAI has always been for stock cars, an engineer was paid a lot of money and spent a lot of time to design the stock one, so ****ing with it is just going to end badly, unless it's justified. Case in point the guys on the Astra forum were removing some plastic pieces from the stock airbox because they thought it was blocking flow.... end result being slight loss in power and fuel economy, because the plastic pieces were actually directing flow and stopping it from forming a vortex and messing with the MAF....
    MY10 Golf Mk6 103TDI DSG Candy White | Revo Stage 1 ECU Tune | 18" Talladegas | GTI Front/Rear/Exhaust | R LED Taillights | GTI Steering Wheel | VW Discover Media | Focal IFVW Front Speakers | Mk7 Climatronic Panel |

Quote Originally Posted by moda View Post
    Super cool to see to see stuff that i'm currently doing at uni (mech engg - final year fluid mechanics) actually being used and talked about on enthusiast forums Makes me feel like my degree isn't a waste of time heh.
    WARNING - majorly off topic post.

Ahh I remember those days. Fortunately there were a few good lecturers at my uni (newy) that were car enthusiasts and would relate problems to that (sometimes... not often )

It took me a good couple of years to appreciate my degree in mech eng even after starting work, but it did happen... eventually!

Even then, I've got a mate that went through with me that hates his work. Mech eng graduates often end up "project managing" which can mean kicking ass or pushing paper all day dong, and everything in between.

Fortuantely I found work in a small company where I have to do real engineering work and even make stuff.

Very jealous of you being at UQ - I've been an aerospace fanatic since childhood and the scramjet stuff they are doing up there is world class. In another life....
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    This ^^

I want to get an intake for my GT TDI purely to have a nice sound.

Looking through this thread everyone seems to have their own preference.

Which one creates a flutter ? (I didnt think this was possible with diesel)
    and which one has the best intake noise?

I noticed someone mentioned the BMC but doesn't that require custom mounts etc to have it installed on a TDI?

And which is the easiest to install/remove?
    This question got buried, just fishing for a response.
    thanks

For loud noise (of all kinds) an un shrouded pod will do the job.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    For loud noise (of all kinds) an un shrouded pod will do the job.
    Can you recommend one?
    Isn't that a lot worse for the car?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    This ^^

I want to get an intake for my GT TDI purely to have a nice sound.

Looking through this thread everyone seems to have their own preference.

Which one creates a flutter ? (I didnt think this was possible with diesel)
    and which one has the best intake noise?

I noticed someone mentioned the BMC but doesn't that require custom mounts etc to have it installed on a TDI?

And which is the easiest to install/remove?
    Hi mate.

I have the BMC on my GT Sport.

It's not a flutter like a VL Turbo. It's just a large loud breathe sound, like Darth Vader on a megaphone.

It does need custom parts though. You need a hose/pipe to go from the back of the enclosure to the MAF housing. It will also need a small hole for the vacuum hose to connect in from of the MAF.

The other part is a bracket to hold it in position/alignment. You mount it out of the original stock airbox holes.

If you know a mechanic with a mill, they should be able to knock it all up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by benough View Post
    Hi mate.

I have the BMC on my GT Sport.

It's not a flutter like a VL Turbo. It's just a large loud breathe sound, like Darth Vader on a megaphone.

It does need custom parts though. You need a hose/pipe to go from the back of the enclosure to the MAF housing. It will also need a small hole for the vacuum hose to connect in from of the MAF.

The other part is a bracket to hold it in position/alignment. You mount it out of the original stock airbox holes.

If you know a mechanic with a mill, they should be able to knock it all up for you.
    I have looked at your set-up various times Benough, but I am just not handy enough to create something like this
    How much did it cost you over all?
    Do you know someone in melbourne that could make something like this?
    I think i even saw a video at one point? or was that greg.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234