Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    So even if I remove the MAF grid which is what I planned on doing, there is no improvement?
    Not with an APR POS.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    How would it be any different for different brands of cold air intake? They all essentially do the same thing. Direct air with less turns, meaning less turbulence throuegh the MAF Grid, which restricts the airflow, get rid of that and you get more air into the engine.... Not true?
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Build Thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ild-85147.html

Users Country Flag
    Nope, the stock setup is very good, and even on my race tune I expect the stock system would be fine.

It's a feel good mod, and sounds cool, and feel free to fit what you want, but don't kid yourself there is power there, especially on the 103 stock turbo.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    How would it be any different for different brands of cold air intake? They all essentially do the same thing. Direct air with less turns, meaning less turbulence throuegh the MAF Grid, which restricts the airflow, get rid of that and you get more air into the engine.... Not true?
    It's not different for any other brand of CAI...I just particularly _hate_ APR.
    Buying a CAI for a 2.0TDI is like putting a lightweight carbon bonnet on a Getz. Might look cool, but you're not getting anywhere faster.

If you have a look at this picture of the APR setup.

and then of the stock..

Where are the improvements of 'direct air with less turns'? Nothing is replaced except for the shroud at the front, there is no bigger intake pipe, there is nothing, its a really expensive cosmetic mod that might make your car sound 'cool'.

Alrighty then! So what makes the best sound then? Clearly it will be a matter of opinion. Anyone know of someone that can give a balanced opinion?

Actually, better question, what changes to the intake actually "Improves" the sound?
    | Candy White 2007, Mk 5 Golf, 2.0 TDI | 103 kw chipped to 138 kw | 19" Mercedes C6319 Gloss Black | Stage 1 APR Cold Air Intake | DNS-810 GPS Unit (Eventually...) | Diesel Geek Short Shifter |

Also, You'll have to excuse me questioning removing the MAF grid and getting rid of the turns. I have read on a post that the MAF grid can reduce airflow by 22% and that because you get rid of the bends the air is less turbulent, that warrants getting rid of the MAF grid. which is used to calm the airflow.

Users Country Flag
    Not so Manol, the stock TDI / Sportline etc Golf Airbox intake has a pretty twisted intake path, that APR intake is dead straight in comparison, but yes, the flow through the stock system is good enough for normal tunes on a TDI. You will note the GTI / R has a similar to that APR box straight intake path in comparison.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag

2.0 TDI Cold Air Intake - Is this any good?

^ manol I don't know if you have actually looked at the stock intake... Lots and lots of twists and turns as Greg said.

Even just the top there is a 90 degree turn...

And don't get me wrong it doesn't make any power difference, just gives a nice dose/flutter and I found that it feels a touch more responsive but other no power gains or anything...

Pearce if you want to organise a time and location I can simply take your for a drive so you can see.
    Hennessy Auto Styling MK5 TDI [SIZE=3]|| United Grey || Sunroof & Leather || 18x8.5 +45 Rotiform BLQ and 17x8 17x9 +39 Stern Reverse Face II || K Sport Deluxe Air Suspension || After Market OEM Style Body Kit and Accessories!
    Hennessy Auto Styling - Bumpers, Spoilers, Carbon, Lips and more.

Users Country Flag
    You can here the intake in this vid I took.
    Skoda Octavia vRS TDI 3" Catback Exhaust Note - YouTube

The stock intake is a maze.

It literally goes straight into a 90^ angle, does a loop-de-loop, then through the filter, around another 90^ angle, through the MAF and into the turbo!
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticality View Post
    You can here the intake in this vid I took.
    Skoda Octavia vRS TDI 3" Catback Exhaust Note - YouTube

The stock intake is a maze.

It literally goes straight into a 90^ angle, does a loop-de-loop, then through the filter, around another 90^ angle, through the MAF and into the turbo!
    It may just be on the TSI engine but there is also a big gap under the "ram" part which i was advised is to let leaves/dust fall out of however it also allows warm air from the engine bay directly into the intake system.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast