Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.9tdi fuel filter water drain DIN EN 590

Hey mate, don't worry about the water drain, filters are fairly cheap, change it every service 100%. We do it like any other filter, on the drag polo's and tuned 1.9's.

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Yes, my T4 has the drain. I drain some fuel in a small glass container & have never found any water or sediment.
    It depends where you buy your fuel. VW changed the service interval on my 2.0 TDI '06 Golf after I bought it from 30,000 to 60,000km.
    Not finding anything water seems to be the case these days. Know if it was a bigger issue back in the day?

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Hey mate, don't worry about the water drain, filters are fairly cheap, change it every service 100%. We do it like any other filter, on the drag polo's and tuned 1.9's.
    Yeah thinking the effort just to check is the same as replacing.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

update on this.
    so its been about 17,500km since I swapped the fuel filter (the same time I got the car running)
    I've run 2x 500ml bottles of Nulon "fuel system extreme clean" through it over those km. my mates commented the car stunk from behind after the first two lots of 250ml so I assume it was working?
    swapped filters (same amount of work as draining as mentioned previously), drained the one from the car and didn't spot noticeable any rubbish or water.
    Not sure if its connected but I have noticed the wet/moist area at the inline cooler seems to have dried up too
    run on Shell or BP fuels (normal and "premium") from various fuel stations if its worth noting.

Have you used a LIqui Moly Diesel Purge. Its really good for the engine.
    I usually use Morey's smoke killer and it works very well.
    If worried about water sedimentation which is more of an issue in UK due to the weather, you could just pop the tank open at the Fuel pump and clean up the tank.
    I did that on my 2008 Passat and the fuel was black- Usually use BP ultimate/Vortex and Morey's, 2nd Owner, don't know what was being used by the person before me.

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Have you used a LIqui Moly Diesel Purge. Its really good for the engine.
    I usually use Morey's smoke killer and it works very well.
    If worried about water sedimentation which is more of an issue in UK due to the weather, you could just pop the tank open at the Fuel pump and clean up the tank.
    I did that on my 2008 Passat and the fuel was black- Usually use BP ultimate/Vortex and Morey's, 2nd Owner, don't know what was being used by the person before me.
    I havent tried that. I did look at it, but that ease of the Nulon in tank stuff suited at the time.
    I was concerned about what the previous owners may or may not have done to it too. Car had been trashed before I got it and maintenance was unknown the last few years. It then sat in my possession for 2 years or so (was worried this might attract water/algae to the system).
    Fuel appears clean now so I'm happy its had a good shake up and clean out.

yeah wonder what caused it to be black... maybe they tried to run on bio fuel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12