Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire up a switch-able RVC

Users Country Flag

Wire up a switch-able RVC

Hi all, just want to add a switchable camera to my car. It's a pretty basic installation but I'd like confirmation on the wiring and/or maybe even better ideas.

Wire up a switch-able RVC-ccd-camera-jpg
    MY11 B7 Passat 125TDi Highline
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Users Country Flag
    Are you installing the lowline stock vw camera? why not just install the camera as per normal and hook a switch between ground and the correct pin on rns that activates the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by passat123 View Post
    Hi all, just want to add a switchable camera to my car. It's a pretty basic installation but I'd like confirmation on the wiring and/or maybe even better ideas.

Wire up a switch-able RVC-ccd-camera-jpg

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Nah, this screen will be separate to the RNS510 and camera will be mounted under the front bar to check kerb height as I park.

So pretty much an after market screen and front facing camera isolated from my park assist and OEM RVC.

I want to be able to switch it on and off at any time without being in park assist mode.
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Users Country Flag
    Yep, easy enough. We did something like this in the brother in laws Audi so he could switch the camera on whenever he felt like it.

The trigger is usually just a 12V line hooked up to the reverse light so it turns on in reverse. Instead of going to the reverse light just go to a powered line and put a switch in there.

in short, yes, your wiring diagram should work. To test it just twist the wires together and test it on the bench (ie before you try and put it into your car).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Thanks.. Will do!

Is there an easy way to route a video cable with RCA plug and 2.5mm power cable from the engine bay to the cabin (drivers side foot well)?

By easy I mean, least amount of trim removal or modifying grommets etc..
    The most straight forward route I found is to use the grommet reserved for a clutch.

And, rather than terminating the 2.5mm power cable straight to the fuse box/power distributor in the engine bay, is there a wire in the cabin with constant 12V that I could splice on to?
    Last edited by passat123; 03-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, easy mate. Just look for a grommet where a clutch would go through the firewall next to the brake pedal. That's where I went through. Just look from inside the car, you'll spot an oval cut out in the sound deadening. Just pull it towards you and you'll be on your way.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    While it's not going to help with the "not removing trim" aspect... I've run things through the rain tray in a few Golf's before. Easy access, plenty of room, nice location...

Check out this old thread here for some pictures of the panel I used to access the cabin:
    Autopolar FIS+ Advanced Install

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    At the firewall, where the left chassis rail is attached is a grommet. There should be a vacant teat on that you can snip the end off, and push whatever you need through it. It comes though just behind the HVAC box.

That looks like an ideal route but I just can't be bothered with the trim removal, I think I'll stick with the clutch pedal route.

And, rather than terminating the 2.5mm power cable straight to the fuse box/power distributor in the engine bay, is there a wire in the cabin with constant 12V that I could splice on to?

Would it matter if I change the 2.5mm to a 4mm power cable? I don't know if there will be resistance issues etc? My logic says it'll be fine..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast