Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "What would you have done different" thread...

Users Country Flag

The "What would you have done different" thread...

Been thinking about , with the wonderful wisdom of hind sight, what I would have done different... seeing a post by Hillbilly
    on another thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tdi-69729.html (post 5) made me think maybe I am not the only the one that might have ordered something slightly different...

This was the sort of thread that I couldn't find when I was speccin out my B7 (at the time, and now, B6 would be perfectly relevant so what would you have ordered different on your B6?). I think it would be great for people speccing out a car today to find out the backstory to peoples choice, and what they like or dont with what they have done...

Personal taste being what it is, just coz someone isn't happy with an option doesnt mean the option isnt relevant to someone else... so a bit of an explanation without slaggin anyone else being happy with it. Big ticket to small maybe?

V6 Highline: It was never going to be anything else, however I am glad the Passat alltrack wasnt around at the time to make me feel guilty, that is the car I "rationaly" should have... still 4mo, economical diesel, a bit more clearance to make it to the inlaws farm... But the V6 goes hard enough to have kept me out of an SSV Redline Wagon .

Sports pack Part 1: The problem with the sports pack is you cant get the kids seats, I really miss not having these. Had I known I could get a flappy paddle wheel (like Clips), and people were so keen to swap Vicensas over For Kansas I would have put up with less bolstering and built my own "sports pack" up.

Sports pack Part 2: Having said that, I really love the sports pack... I changed my order from silver to white just to suit the wheels, car looks awesome whilst still a Q car.

Sunroof : love it love it love it... if its not raining, to and from work it is open, kids love the blind open whilst driving through tunnels/harbour bridge, looking at the moon etc.

Dynaudio: not to happy with this, took a month and a half to get as good as stock, probably a bit better than stock now, but i would not tick the box if I had my time again.

Light assist: I would probably tick this instead due to the rural driving, although I must be the only one on earth that thinks the Halogen lights, and Halogen DRLs look better than the Xenons.

Park Assist: I ticked this to get the RVC... Ended up with no RVC... Have to say that I am getting quite good at using park assist to whip it into more open parallel parks (quicker than without it) . I would tick it now (coz I think the RVC is back on the menu) but not without RVC.

Nav-RNS: didnt pick it , probably wouldn't now either... should be standard in the range topper... I value built in Nav at around a grand, the few times i need nav, $40 bucks worth of Sygic on my phone does the trick... If Nav integration for the RCD is cheap enough I may go there, or if RNS 520 includes DAB+ might have to join that ebay bandwagon...

General: Tints without question, Mudflaps (again without question- dont know why so many VW types hate them) they keep the $hit of the sills when driving though cow/cheese country... (or at least more of it off the sills than without).

B7 R36? If it existed at the same price point the b6 was at, I would have wanted it, but I would not have been able to afford it, B7 "highline with 3.2" wouldn't have bothered, so I am glad VW stuck the "horn" engine in the Highline just for giggles...
    Last edited by FSI 220; 25-03-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag
    Hi. Great idea to start this thread.

OK, let me have a go. No matter what is available now, whether Passat alltrack or B7 R36 I would still have chosen the V6 Highline. I love the fact that I can sit in traffic completely unnoticed & if & when I choose to can out accelarate nearly any other car around me. Even when a car has more power. Case & point: I was at a set of lights the other day in a lane that ran out about 200m after the lights. While I was waiting at the red light a Clubsport R8 wagon stopped next to me (current model). Now this is the first time I have used the launch control. Speed limit was 80 kph. Lights turned green, I launched & the Clubsport R8 took a moment to react. This was all I needed to leave him behind by about 4 car lengths when I indicated to merge in at around 90 kph. I backed off & he wasn't too happy about being done over so rounded me up doing well over 120 kph. I didn't care because I had a smile on my face & the battle was already won.

Sunroof=brilliant, ACC= brilliant, Sat Nav=OK (only really wanted the RVC), Driver Assistance Pack=Brilliant (love the LED lights), Lane Assist=handy if you are a lazy driver (like me on the freeways), Park Assist=novelty (not as useful as I first thought).

Also not to mentioned that in a car park the car doesn't have "LOOK AT ME" stamped across its forehead.

I can't remember looking forward to getting into a car as much as this one that I have ever owned.

I am looking forward to other comments on this thread.
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

Users Country Flag
    Well for me I would have just ticked the v6 highline instead of the TDi with the current package I have.
    I love the economy of the TDi and Great on day to day use, but growing up with fast cars I miss that and would trade economy for that V6 growl

I ticked all the options when I bought my R36
    Don't think I'd pay for lane assist next time.
    Adaptive suspension? Nah as I leave it in sport all the time anyway
    Don't think I'd buy a non turbo car again as I miss the midrange urge of a turbo
    The R36 is quickish but doesn't feel it.
    2010 R36 Sedan
    2007 Audi A4 B7 Cabriolet
    1997 R33 GTR Skyline V-SPEC ,2011 Harley V-Rod Muscle

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R34 View Post
    Don't think I'd buy a non turbo car again as I miss the midrange urge of a turbo
    The R36 is quickish but doesn't feel it.
    I think you have a frame of reference problem if your other car is a..... 1997 R33 GTR Skyline V-SPEC

I spose its like having a cellar full of Grange.... and saying your daily quaffer of St Henri is a little insipid...

Oh to be saddled with that problem, actually either (your problem or my metaphor)

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Quote Originally Posted by R34 View Post
    I ticked all the options when I bought my R36
    Don't think I'd pay for lane assist next time.
    Adaptive suspension? Nah as I leave it in sport all the time anyway
    Interesting. Neither of those options were available when I ordered mine and as such I don't have them but I'd like them - if only to compare. About the only one I'd really like is adaptive cruise control.

I have a blue R36 wagon with satnav and a magic tailgate. I'd like a white wagon with satnav, magic tailgate, sunroof, Dynaudio, KESSY and adaptive cruise control. Unfortunately white wasn't an option when I ordered mine (!), Australia misses out on KESSY, the factory forgot to attach the rear view camera and I tried to amend my order to include Dynaudio but the car had already been built! Maybe park assist 'cause I like gadgets...
    Last edited by Steve; 26-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    R36 =

What would I have done different......?

Engine:
    Absolutely no contest on this, the V6's performance transforms the Passat into a wolf in sheeps clothing. I can only anticipate it will get even better as it ages & the noise is oh so nice.....

All the other options on my Passat; Driver assist, Active cruise, Sport pack, Auto tailgate I am wrapped with & would get again but I kind of wish I also optioned the Pano roof. In saying that it is more like an 'oh well, i'll get the pano roof next time' kind of feeling, so no drama at all.

The insanely overpriced Sat Nav I am pleased I didn't waste my money on. Like FSI, as nice as it would have been to have an integrated Nav I am happy with my 5" Tomtom sitting on top of the centre dash above the central air vents. The new Tomtom base that it connects to makes it look like it is integrated into the top of the dash which is a good thing, plus it is a Tomtom so it works well. Failing that I have sat nav on my phone. Like FSI, if the Sat Nav upgrade from Motivauto integrates seemlessly into the RCD-510 & is priced fairly i'll consider that.

Overall very happy with the options on my Passat & the go of the V6 engine is sublime...... Did I mention the noise.....
    Last edited by Riker; 26-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    * MY12 B7 Passat V6 4-motion Highline wagon....
    * Sport pack (Kansas wheels) - Active cruise City EB - Driver Assist Vis pack - Auto tailgate - Candy White with dark tint.

Everyone here seems to have the v6 highline, I have the wagon TSI and I'm very happy with it. Returns great fuel economy and the turbo rush is very nice but very subtle at the same time. However the boy racer inside me wished I had the v6 highline

If I had my choice again I would opt for the auto tailgate, sports package and booster seats in the rear and sunroof.

That would complete my car, like one of the above posters mentioned its probably one of the few cars I've had that I really enjoy
    Getting into everyday, it's comfortable and spacious and powerful enough for my needs.

Gps I'm not too fussed but if MOTIV integrate the gps on the rcd unit I might consider.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bruster View Post
    sports package and booster seats in the rear
    Cant have that combo... which is a massive gripe... hence my "sports pack part 1" comment in my post... seems like VW thinks that you cant have "The need for Speed" & "Breed"

although I spose they did put a horn motor in my small family wagon

Seems like a lot of people like their auto tailgates.... never occured to me to be worth it, I asked if it would open if I waved my foot under the bumper (i thought that is the key- or not the "Key" in fact- to making it useful). There you go
    Last edited by FSI 220; 28-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag

Hi Bruster, I am pretty sure that Motivauto do integrate with RCD510. On a side note however, to have voice activation for radio, phone, GPS, media etc etc you msut first have factory Sat Nav (not to mentioned the higher res screen in the RNS510).

Quote Originally Posted by bruster View Post
    Everyone here seems to have the v6 highline, I have the wagon TSI and I'm very happy with it. Returns great fuel economy and the turbo rush is very nice but very subtle at the same time. However the boy racer inside me wished I had the v6 highline

If I had my choice again I would opt for the auto tailgate, sports package and booster seats in the rear and sunroof.

That would complete my car, like one of the above posters mentioned its probably one of the few cars I've had that I really enjoy
    Getting into everyday, it's comfortable and spacious and powerful enough for my needs.

Gps I'm not too fussed but if MOTIV integrate the gps on the rcd unit I might consider.
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast