Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The "What would you have done different" thread...

Users Country Flag

I have heard this too, do you have any idea if my13 passat has kessy option?

Quote Originally Posted by wandersen View Post
    The new CC has KESSY standard in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Wow!! Excuse my hesitation to accept this fact but I find that very hard to believe from a NA engine with less power that needs to rev to 7,000 rpm & then can only produce 234nm of torque. Bit suspect. If this was the case then I wonder why Honda don't produce any readily available performance figures given these amazing numbers?

Are there any offical times for the 3.6l V6 Passat 80-120kph acceleration times?
    I think we need more facts. If they were both manuals and they were both in top gear or 4th gear or something (ie where the Mazda was off boost), then I can definitely imagine that the Honda could beat it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Wow!! Excuse my hesitation to accept this fact but I find that very hard to believe from a NA engine with less power that needs to rev to 7,000 rpm & then can only produce 234nm of torque. Bit suspect. If this was the case then I wonder why Honda don't produce any readily available performance figures given these amazing numbers?
    I absolutely understand your skepticism. It's a shame that the original link is now broken, but I do remember seeing the article myself, way back when it was first posted. Yfin also established a reputation for himself on OzHonda as a knowledgable and objective poster, and was (maybe still is) a moderator on the Euro forum. I would have dismissed it as rabid fanboi-ism if it hadn't been posted by someone reputable like him.

It is also a fact that the Euro has an uncharacteristically (for Honda) fat midrange, so the result is at least possible.

Furthermore, you can do a bit of verification yourself - in 2 minutes of searching, I've found a number of videos of acceleration tests on Youtube of the CL9 Euro that show it accelerating between 80-120kmh in comfortably less than 6 seconds. A couple have some minor modifications (CAIs, exhausts, etc), but those mods would contribute a few points of a second at best.

Just out of interest, I did a bit of googling for the R36 80-120 acceleration tests as well, and got unverifiable results of between high 3s and mid 4-seconds.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    This wasn't what I had in mind when I kicked this thread off.... "What you would have done differently" when buying your Passat....

But what the hey....

I have stepped out of turbo Subarus into the Passat after four long years walking through the valley of despair. (Toyota Kluger AWD, simultaneously the best car I have ever owned, and the least involved/most boring appliance I have ever driven... which makes it the perfect wife's car - safe, big, strong, reliable, set and forget for 400k km - unlike a volksie).

The Passat is equally the quickest humane car I have owned (on par with my boostmodded WRX), but feels much slower, much much slower. half of it is in the box. And yes, I eat my words from a few months ago...

You don't get that feeling of vertigo you get with boost, shift, boost, shift, boost, from a manual turbo... you don't even get that manual throwback of the neck on a manual NA shifting from the top RPM into the meat of the torque curve... the revs drop so quickly and the box shifts it just winds out.

My theory is that the gearbox is so good that each shift gains an average dumb punter like me a quarter of a second per shift... so if it is three shifts to 100, it would place a Passat as a 6.25 car... that would be slower than my REX was and about right for the KW graph numbers...

I also think the torque curve of a Passat is constrained, it doesn't look like a natural curve...

Also, when you own a turbo, you learn how to drive it... you don't get to know one intimately with a drive here and there... And if you really want to live with a dog, own a carby fed, ported, atmo, 13b in a 78 mazda coupe! (and try driving that in the rain!)

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag
    Enough said & well put.

Quote Originally Posted by FSI 220 View Post
    This wasn't what I had in mind when I kicked this thread off.... "What you would have done differently" when buying your Passat....

But what the hey....

I have stepped out of turbo Subarus into the Passat after four long years walking through the valley of despair. (Toyota Kluger AWD, simultaneously the best car I have ever owned, and the least involved/most boring appliance I have ever driven... which makes it the perfect wife's car - safe, big, strong, reliable, set and forget for 400k km - unlike a volksie).

The Passat is equally the quickest humane car I have owned (on par with my boostmodded WRX), but feels much slower, much much slower. half of it is in the box. And yes, I eat my words from a few months ago...

You don't get that feeling of vertigo you get with boost, shift, boost, shift, boost, from a manual turbo... you don't even get that manual throwback of the neck on a manual NA shifting from the top RPM into the meat of the torque curve... the revs drop so quickly and the box shifts it just winds out.

My theory is that the gearbox is so good that each shift gains an average dumb punter like me a quarter of a second per shift... so if it is three shifts to 100, it would place a Passat as a 6.25 car... that would be slower than my REX was and about right for the KW graph numbers...

I also think the torque curve of a Passat is constrained, it doesn't look like a natural curve...

Also, when you own a turbo, you learn how to drive it... you don't get to know one intimately with a drive here and there... And if you really want to live with a dog, own a carby fed, ported, atmo, 13b in a 78 mazda coupe! (and try driving that in the rain!)
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

I'd have to agree. The R36 is the best all round car I have ever driven.

Quote Originally Posted by FSI 220 View Post

But what the hey....

Users Country Flag
    I wish I waited for the CC it now comes with
    5 seat and many standard items , kessy
    Plus colored MFD

Users Country Flag

I assume there is no revision on the price for the new V6 CC? If so, then it is $9k increase & IMO not worth $9k more.

Quote Originally Posted by cru22z View Post
    I wish I waited for the CC it now comes with
    5 seat and many standard items , kessy
    Plus colored MFD
    MY12.5 B7 V6 Passat wagon in Mocca Anthricite with Panoramic sunroof, SatNav, Driver Assistance & Visibility Package, Adaptive Cruise, Park Assist 2, Auto Tailgate,Tint, Towbar & RVC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345