Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R36 Launch control !

Users Country Flag

Question R36 Launch control !

Hi, has anyone tried this ?
    thoughts, comments about it ?
    i know it's something u wound'nt use, but trying it....

p.s hope this isnt a re-thread
    Garage:
    VR6
    XR6
    R36

Users Country Flag
    Used it a few times when I had mine, and wanted to scare a few people!!!! works well, unlike my current jetta, which falls into a pile of wheelspin!!

I found that it was an easy way to ensure the fastest possible getaway.

Matthew
    2010 MY10.5 R36 Wagon, Biscay Blue, RNS510, Dynaudio, Sunroof, towbar, Dynamic Chassis Control, No lazy back door
    2008 Audi Q7 4.2TDI, Radar Cruise, Lane Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Heated Seats Front & Rear, Alcantara Hood Lining, Wooden Gear knob, Nappa Leather, Plus all the usual V8TDI gear, like 760nm of Torque!

Users Country Flag
    yep have used it a few times (for ****s and giggles ) - you just need to take into account the half or so second delay from letting go of the brake and the car starting to move.
    Pete
    MY13 Octavia vRS TDI DSG

Users Country Flag
    There is a You Tube video here.
    YouTube - Passat R36 - Launch Control (MPH)

I used launch control in my CC once when the motor was well and truly run in (ESP off, DSG in sports, left foot brake on till 3000rpm, accelerate..) Selecting a safe place of course, I went to 100 kays (slight downhill road) in around 5 seconds (less than the 5.6 seconds claimed). Of course I probably went a bit faster because (a) It was on a slight downhill and (b) I went off the digital speedo which I believe is probably 5 or so kays out (i.e I probably did 0-95 in 5 secs). Still... very impressive!
    MY10 Passat CC V6 - RNS510, GPS, RVC, self park, dynaudio, cooling seats!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    wanted to scare a few people!!!!
    (for ****s and giggles )
    haha yeah will probably do that a couple times
    take into account the half or so second delay from letting go of the brake and the car starting to move
    thanks, was wondering about delays
    There is a You Tube video here.
    YouTube - Passat R36 - Launch Control (MPH)
    cool
    when the motor was well and truly run in
    yeah i think once iv got about a min of 2000km, then i might try it.
    (ESP off, DSG in sports, left foot brake on till 3000rpm, accelerate..)
    in the manual it says put the ESP ON ?
    Garage:
    VR6
    XR6
    R36

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rd Runrr View Post
    in the manual it says put the ESP ON ?
    that's weird, because Launch Control definitely only works with ESP turned off (so your yellow Traction control light is blinking)

YouTube - R36 LC 0 - 260

thats another R36 video but with our dashboard on it - you can see the TC light blinking - I don't take any responsibility for the music on the video though....
    Pete
    MY13 Octavia vRS TDI DSG

guest12345 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leagle View Post
    I used launch control in my CC once when the motor was well and truly run in (ESP off, DSG in sports, left foot brake on till 3000rpm, accelerate..) Selecting a safe place of course, I went to 100 kays (slight downhill road) in around 5 seconds (less than the 5.6 seconds claimed). Of course I probably went a bit faster because (a) It was on a slight downhill and (b) I went off the digital speedo which I believe is probably 5 or so kays out (i.e I probably did 0-95 in 5 secs). Still... very impressive!
    standard CC 5 seconds?? My mate has a standard CC and on a deadflat road using the driftbox he can't crack 6 seconds, the fastest he has done was 6.1 seconds.

According to fastestlaps.com CC does it in 6 seconds as well, close to half a seconds slower than claimed.

Maybe you did it in a massive hill running down?

Quote Originally Posted by den525 View Post
    standard CC 5 seconds?? My mate has a standard CC and on a deadflat road using the driftbox he can't crack 6 seconds, the fastest he has done was 6.1 seconds.

According to fastestlaps.com CC does it in 6 seconds as well, close to half a seconds slower than claimed.

Maybe you did it in a massive hill running down?
    Downhill yes, massive no. It was only a slight incline. I actually timed my previous car to 100 ('03 WRX) on the same stretch of road. The comparison is a little unfair however as I did not brutally launch the WRX. The WRX took 7 seconds to 100 (a brutal launch would have cut around a second). This made the 5 seconds even run for my CC all the more impressive though - definitely the quicker car

Having said all of that, I have not dared to use launch control on the CC again. I have not tried it but I would estimate that with a "normal" launch, the CC would easily do mid 6's though.

I recall that a recent Wheels test only managed 7 seconds (to 100) in the R36 but they too had not really used launch control (as pointed out by a reader in a subsequent issue).

So the morale of the story, is take all these figs (fastestlaps included) with a grain of salt. It would depend on factors such as whether launch control was used, how brutal the launch was, road factors (eg slight incline as in my example), how time elapsed was measured (eg speedo has a slight inaccuracy) and even on individual examples of cars used (have you even noticed the dramatic variations in some Aussie cars that Wheels and Motor have tested for example?)
    MY10 Passat CC V6 - RNS510, GPS, RVC, self park, dynaudio, cooling seats!

Users Country Flag

im yet to try this on mine .. after seeing those vids its spurred me on to try it haha.. insane that one to 260

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast