Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R36 for Christmas

Users Country Flag

Nice! Wheels look massive!
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kleung View Post
    In Australia, I think this dash trim was fitted to the earlier pre-facelift R36es (ie red MFD).
    I don't think the swirls ever came to Aus. I have an early 08 and it certainly doesn't have the same surrounds. Mine has like a really classy brushed aluminium look. Maybe different countries got slightly different options. For example, I have seen overseas models with an R36 badge directly above the dash display, whereas the aussie versions (well at least mine is and I have seen plenty of others) just have the plain jane Passat badge as per lower models. It's a little bit weird from VW considering that I would've thought that it would've been a lot cheaper to make them all the same rather than swapping bits and pieces depending on what country they are building for!!! Anyhow, I am open to being corrected if I am wrong!! Enjoy your new ride mate. I like the rims. They really suit it actually. They aren't my favourite rim in the world but they look sweet on yours mate.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by snerlo View Post
    I don't think the swirls ever came to Aus. I have an early 08 and it certainly doesn't have the same surrounds.
    You could be right. I may have mistaken the 'dark brushed aluminium inserts' for the swirled effect trim.

Mine has like a really classy brushed aluminium look.
    It's not a 'look' - it IS aluminium. The only criticism I have is that the chromed area around the gear selector can cause glare if the sun is at the right angle.

Maybe different countries got slightly different options. For example, I have seen overseas models with an R36 badge directly above the dash display, whereas the aussie versions (well at least mine is and I have seen plenty of others) just have the plain jane Passat badge as per lower models.

It's a little bit weird from VW considering that I would've thought that it would've been a lot cheaper to make them all the same rather than swapping bits and pieces depending on what country they are building for!!!
    Not really - VW have made it easy for themselves because their cars and parts are so modular. Being an international manufacturer, they need to have the ability to customize per country anyway, due to differing compliance requirements and market positioning.

Users Country Flag
    Is there a PASSAT anywhere on R36?

The R36 badge above the dash is more likely an aftermarket sticker.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Only on the dash mate. Well at least on mine, that is the only place
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've had the car for about 3 weeks now, and absolutely love it. The road I mostly drive is winding over hills, and gives me the opportunity over about 30km to test the power and handling of the car. Great ride and features - couldn't be happier with it.

I have ordered the DRL's that Snerlo posted up recently, plus interior LED's, puddle light LED's and R36 badged centre wheel caps and valve stem dust covers.

Will get a VW towbar fitted at some stage, but I need to be sure of a tidy install before pushing the go button. Have seen a few ugly looking results. There were some pics recently on a thread about exhausts that just happened to show a very tidy towbar install. That's what I'm after.
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Users Country Flag
    Man, I love the "Cargo Management System", I'd love to know why NZ got this option and the AU cars didn't...

Great looking car mate, same colour as mine too - I reckon its the best colour for these cars, but, I AM biased!!

AT
    2009 R36 Variant - Icelandic Grey - HALDEX Gen 4 Controller - SuperChips Tune - CAI - Full LED Install - OZ Racing Vittoria 18x8 wheels - VWR BBK & VWR 2 Piece Rear Rotors - KW V3 Coilovers - KR Sway Bars - CPC DSG Tune - Carbon Fibre Front Grill - SprintBooster - DynAudio Upgrade - Tinted Rear Lights - etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
    Man, I love the "Cargo Management System", I'd love to know why NZ got this option and the AU cars didn't...

Great looking car mate, same colour as mine too - I reckon its the best colour for these cars, but, I AM biased!!

AT
    Yes the CMS is great. Some guy in an office at VW Australia probably didn't tick the box on the standard spec sheet - could be as simple as that.

Initially I wasn't too fussed on the Icelandic Grey and I didn't have any choice, but it has grown on me and I really like it now. My other car is bright yellow so I'm not averse to the bold colours, although I don't think yellow would work on the R36. Jakeys Candy White looks really nice, and Biscay Blue also looks good. It's a great car whatever colour you've got!
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Still loving my R36. No problems except other people damaging it.

Will be ticking over 100,000 km this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12