Thread: New To VW Could I Get Some Feedback On Maintenance. Water Pump/Timing Belt ?

New To VW Could I Get Some Feedback On Maintenance. Water Pump/Timing Belt ?

This is my first VW and first post on the forum. A bought a used 2012 Passat TDI with 12,000km on the clock from a dealership two years ago. As it only had 6mths of warranty left I had my mechanic [ 20yrs with the same bloke ] do the servicing. He's very careful with what he does and has only used approved fluids and parts. It has now travelled 60,000km.

A few weeks back it developed a coolant leak somewhere that was not too obvious. He wasn't happy getting too far into it so he sent me off to the dealership. They found the water pump was leaking and advised, that to do the repair correctly, a "timing belt kit" had to be fitted as well as a new water pump. This apparently is VW's general maintenance method.

When I asked why the timing belt kit was needed I got a few explanations. The first was that seeing it was 5 years old, the timing belt and associated parts would have "timed out". Next, the leaking coolant would have affected the timing belt and associated parts. Also seeing that they had all the covers etc off it makes sense to replace both the offending pump and the timing belt kit.

So in your experience/understanding, are the explanations I was given what you'd expect to be correct for this repair ?
    Last edited by ANDY54; 27-04-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Just ask them to replace the water pump under the warranty and you should be paying only for the cost of the timing belt kit.
    Simply, because it's not unreasonable to expect that the water pump should last longer than 60,000km. If they don't agree seek the help from the ACCC, they're quite clear about that.

Though, they're right that the timing belt is best to be replaced.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Just ask them to replace the water pump under the warranty and you should be paying only for the cost of the timing belt kit.
    Simply, because it's not unreasonable to expect that the water pump should last longer than 60,000km. If they don't agree seek the help from the ACCC, they're quite clear about that.

Though, they're right that the timing belt is best to be replaced.
    Thanks. At least I now know they've corrected the problem as per the book. I don't think I'll get any joy from the ACCC as the vehicle is way out of warranty and I've paid for the repair. I couldn't have waited for a decision anyway as I need my vehicle.