Thread: Moving CAT outside of engine bay

Moving CAT outside of engine bay

The more I look my 1.8t exhaust the more I fear I will have to stick to a CAT back.

My last option to doing this on a discount is to straight out the engine bay and put the CAT under the car.

Anyone know if this would effect the sensors on the cat?
    "Dying 's for fools ... ... Because, because I'm a man." - Charlie Sheen

Users Country Flag
    Cars need to be close to the engine so the heat gets into them otherwise they are inefficient ki

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Cars need to be close to the engine so the heat gets into them otherwise they are inefficient ki
    Yeah, like, every single other car I have owned has not hat the CAT in the engine bay. Always after the flex. Also, don't care about efficiency in a CAT. Id rather not have it all if I could legally do it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AnmanIndustries View Post
    Yeah, like, every single other car I have owned has not hat the CAT in the engine bay. Always after the flex. Also, don't care about efficiency in a CAT. Id rather not have it all if I could legally do it.
    You might as well delete then, as an inefficient cat would lead to the same result with the EPA

Users Country Flag
    Just get a DP with a cat after the flex. Who the hell is going to check or test it ?
    Given the age of the car, the cat is probably not doing a lot anyway, a new pipe with a decent cat after flex might actually improve the emissions.
    If the sensors throw a CEL, just space it out a little
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    You might as well delete then, as an inefficient cat would lead to the same result with the EPA
    Uh, I dont think so. The elements in a CAT need to be warmed up before they efficiently oxidise everything. Ever touched an exhaust tip and burnt yourself? Are you also saying that all the CATs, which is pretty much most of them, that are under the car are just as good as no CAT?

From what I have been able to figure out after looking at this exhaust for a few weeks now, is that the CAT is in the engine bay to warm up faster and to decrease noise. By putting it directly on the turbo you remove all turbo noises and vibrations. I think there may also be an element of reduced costs as well because of all the fancy bends and such you can fab up just one pipe at once and then do a straight pipe for hte rest of the exhaust afterwards. Kind of like how the turbos and turbo manifolds in the new nissan GTRs are one piece.

My main concern is if it will effect the oxy sensors being that it will be cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Just get a DP with a cat after the flex. Who the hell is going to check or test it ?
    Given the age of the car, the cat is probably not doing a lot anyway, a new pipe with a decent cat after flex might actually improve the emissions.
    If the sensors throw a CEL, just space it out a little
    The car has only done 180k. Our 2012 swift sport has done that same Ks. I have been caught out before by the EPA when I was younger, so I'd rather not risk it anyway. Specially after it starts making all these noises when Im done with it.

As above, I dont know if spacing the sensors will be enough as it will be a different level of temperatures. It is the first car I have ever worked on that had a sensor after the CAT.