Support VWWC

Thread: jump start and now airbag warning

jump start and now airbag warning

My 2008 passat had a flat battery yesterday morning (second time in a few months) I called vw assist or whatever its called and a RACV bloke arrived... When he put his jumper leads on the battery, he connected both to the battery.. The first time I had the flat battery the guy only connected the positive to the battery and negative to the body of the car. Well now I notice the airbag icon lights up and according to the manual that is a faulty airbag.. Does that mean I have to put it in for service to get it fixed and was it caused by the racv bloke...?? When first turned on the MFD displays a warning too, AIRBAG FAULTY...
    By the way, I thought everything turned off after 15 minutes, so how do I end up with a flat battery?
    MY08 Passat 125TDI sedan.leather.Xenons..Dynaudio.Satnav.. RNS 510

the airbag light is probably just a low voltage fault that has come up as a result of your battery going flat, indicating that the system does not have enough voltage to fire the airbag system should it be asked to. Go to a dealer to get this reset or someone who has the cable and software to do it for you.
    Connection to the battery for jump starting is the normal way to do it.
    why has your battery gone flat? there are heaps of reasons for a flat battery, rangeing from a dodgy alternator to a faulty circuit that is drawing current when it is supposed to be off, could even be a partial short circuit that is drawing current.
    if the battery is greater than 3 years old then it could also be the cause and just needs replacing.
    when you had the jump start did they check the battery condition and check the alternator charging circuit?
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

They both said the battery was fine...Don't know about the charging. I just took it for a 20k run up the hume and back when he got it started... Seems to be fine now, charged up alright..
    I actually have the cable and software, Had a look at it once and thought better of playing around with it..LOL

Users Country Flag
    +1 to a low voltage code. Your diagnostic equipment should be able to clear it without much trouble.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

+1 does not mean much to me.. A bit more info and I would be game to try, If I stuff it up I will take it to the dealer......

Users Country Flag
    Basically, I agree with what the other guy/girl posted.

From previous experiance, a flat battery will log a low voltage code in the Airbag Control Module.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Yeah, that's it, low voltage error - presumably at that point the voltage below threshold required to fire airbags. Frustrating thing is that after battery is charged it still hangs around as an historical reminder!