Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The History of the VW Passat.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vinderliker
    Can anyone tell me how to track down a copy of the book, as I have heard it is out of print.
    http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/marqu...ery/plu/15343/
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Quote Originally Posted by Volksfolks View Post
    The 2.8 L V6 30V, pumps out 193 PS (142 kW). Torque: 206 ft-lbs.

we have a 1999 and the motor is just the best, heaps of power!

Andy
    bro hot front end. any other pics??
    also whered u get that grill from? ebay? seen some there but not sure if they r as good quality as the branded 1's..
    Passat 1.8T K04 | Audi A3 1.8T | Bora 4Motion

Red face

Thanks for that, I had to many other things rolling around in my head for such a simple answer.

Old Skool Passat Power Rules!!!
    1974 Passat LS with a SEAT 1.8, 32/36 Weber, full performance exhaust and a K&N filter. 80kw at the wheels??

Volkswagen In Australia

Quote Originally Posted by vinderliker View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to track down a copy of the book, as I have heard it is out of print.

Any book store should have it. But there is a place in WA called pit stop book shop. Just order it through the website, delivery is super speedy

I had an Audi Fox in 1982 (I think it was about a 1977 model) that was pretty much exactly a rebadged Passat (or vice versa) - actually I think the Passat at that time was only a hatchback, this was a sedan. I seem to recall it was a 2.0 litre and was probably one of the nicest cars I ever owned. Now I have just bought a 2004 Passat V5, and I love it so much I think I am going to have to log off and go for a drive.
    Last edited by leftfooter; 04-12-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to VWwA leftfooter

I think you'll find some Audi influence in your current Passat enjoy the drive
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag

Fond memories

I had the 1973 TS Passat and loved that car I got it second hand back in 1983, took it on our honymoon to Tasmania in 1984. Yes back then you could take your car on the boat too, we drove around Tassie for 8 days loving every minute. From memory I think it came to its demise in 1986 when someone went through a red light and smashed it up so bad that I had to say goodbye .
    It was white with a black venal roof looked pretty cool and took off like a rocket. I havent owned a VW since but now Im waiting for my 09 VW Jetta to get to the dealer so I can once again enjoy my ride.

The Passat was introduced in 1974 in Australia from memory. I owned a 1974 L which had a 1300 motor. Bought it around 1978. It won COTY as did the Mk 1 Golf soon after. The Golf was a real revolution at the time.

The Passat was very advanced being light,nimble,economical and roomy and yet felt quite strong. There was a sporty 2 door TS 1600(1588cc) with twin round headlights,the most popular and middle of the road 4 door LS 1500(1470cc) with single square headlights and the cheaper 2 door L 1300(1296cc) with single round headlights larger than than those on the TS.

BTW the Passat was not a hatchback. It was just shaped like one but had a normal boot.

There would be few if any L's left today. The 1300 motor was a cracker (as were all the engines), high revving but seemed to be almost unburstable. Most Passats were either light blue or mustard yellow from memory. Occasional white one. Remember seeing a white one with a brown vinyl roof, what a gem that would be now!

I saw a white 1970's Passat today at my local shopping centre, they are a lot smaller than the current Passat (more like Polo size). This one looked pretty well kept, with mags and a mild exhaust.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Thumbs up

That must have been myself and the Little Beastie! Was it at Erindale? I have seen your RS wagon there before. Next time I will introduce myself.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I saw a white 1970's Passat today at my local shopping centre, they are a lot smaller than the current Passat (more like Polo size). This one looked pretty well kept, with mags and a mild exhaust.
    Old Skool Passat Power Rules!!!
    1974 Passat LS with a SEAT 1.8, 32/36 Weber, full performance exhaust and a K&N filter. 80kw at the wheels??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast